Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Happily Ever After [just some thoughts]

Fghik

All the time I've spent watching this show, something has always stood out at me. Everyone Everypony is generally happy with what they are doing in life. There may be a few difficulties such as Eternal Nights, Changelings, or Manticores every now and again, but that doesn't change the overall feel of pleasure and satisfaction they all feel towards their own jobs.

Whatever they enjoy doing, or are good at, became their 'cutie mark' and somehow every talent is equally as good as another; income seems to be a very distant concept in Equestria [with few exceptions such as Filthy Rich.] And even when it is, there isn't anypony suffering due to an 'insufficient' talent. However upon second thought, doesn't it seem that the 'doctor'-ponies would make more money than the 'harvest'-ponies? And it doesn't seem that certain talents have more fun than others....it's as if everyone is just happy in what they do, and what they do provides them living wages?

Fluttershy cares for animals. Twilight is a scholar. Rainbow Dash is an athlete. Pinkie Pie is a party-planner-extraordinaire. And Applejack works an apple farm. Any one of those 5 jobs in the non-pony-universe couldn't amount to very much money unless you were the best of the best, and have a name for yourself AS the best of the best. Someone that people would wikipedia you just to read all you've accomplished, then google your next stop in your COUNTRY [you must be worldwide famous.]

Fluttershy could be a great Veterinarian, no doubt about it. But Vets don't make a ton of money unless they hop-up the animals on expensive narcotics (and most of that goes to the business head anyway.) Twilight could be a really great professor, but we all know about teacher salaries... Athletes? C'mon now, the most you can get is an athletic scholarship to a local state school. Partying gets you nowhere. And when was the last time you heard of a profitable farm that wasn't actually a factory?

If you didn't notice, I didn't mention Rarity. It seems to be that her talent is gem finding, but her job is designing (and she's good at both.) This really messed up my idea of this 'always happy' thing, because she must have not liked her talent, and just applied it to her job [the right sparkle can add wonders to a gown.] I'm assuming this means Rarity had a talent that she didn't enjoy doing. So she changed her career into something she had a passion for; design. Finding materials were just easier due to her talent.

With all the background ponies we have in the mix, there are innumerable talents with each their own profitable career path. But in the end everyone comes out happy and with a home and family.

I may not have found anything I'm particularly 'good' at yet. But still, wouldn't it be nice knowing that whatever I'm good at could land me a house one day; even if I'm not the very best? Heck, maybe even be a talent I enjoy doing [that I wouldn't have to incorporate into whatever job I take?] Eh, but those are my thoughts.

Personally, I feel that one of the reasons a lot of bronies enjoy the whole "teleportation to Equestria" idea is because of this very idea you have stated. Let's face it, while real life certainly has its ups, it seems like the downs always hit harder, to me at least. The thought of going to a place where you really can do what you like to do and earn a decent living out of it is most definitely appealing. Living in a place like Equestria would not necessarily guarantee happiness, but it probably would provide many more opportunities for a fulfilling and happy life. It also helps that we know Equestria has a powerful, but, and this is probably most important, BENEVOLENT AND KIND leader. Ponies KNOW that Celestia truly wants what is best for EVERYPONY regardless of race/class etc. I can imagine Celestia does as much as she possibly can to make sure all her ponies are taken care of without worrying what she can get out of it.

It's kind of the opposite of what we have here in real life. Politicians look out for and take care of themselves first then go about fulfilling the rest of us mere mortals. What is seems Celestia has figured out is that if she takes care of her ponies, her ponies will take care of her, metaphorically spekaing of course, Celestia wouldn't really need anything from her ponies, other than their love :)

And... your point is?

First off, a few factual errors in your analysis: RD is not an athlete, she works for the Ponyville weather patrol. Twilight is not just a scholar, she's a librarian.

I also think you misinterpret Rarity. She always wanted to be a fashion designer, and was fairly good at it even as a filly, before she discovered her talent in finding gems. She never imagined that talent would automatically qualify her for a mining career as you seem to imply. There's no evidence that she disliked her talent.

I fundamentally don't understand why the seemingly perfect economic situation in Equestria bothers you. It's a simpler place than the real world, at least on the surface. Since most ponies tend to go into a career that they at least would like to do because they know that the talent that they have can perfectly apply to whatever they do seems to me to make the question of why there aren't really any ponies that are dissatisfied with their jobs essentially answered.

Everypony isn't happy about their lives, it's just if they say something, well, remember, it is a kingdom, celestia can easily say "off with their head" as simpily as saying "I don't like tea"

Edited by caesar15

Find a job you love doing and you never work a day in your life.

This is how people have weird professions that other people couldn't stand: they enjoy doing their job so much, that they just feel like they're being paid to perform a hobby almost.

Show me a person that can explain to my Dad that "Being a Highways Contract Operations Manager is boring" and I'll show you someone who can make my Dad laugh.

• Brohoof 1