Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

visual art Animation test! I need feedback!

Greg

Posted Image

Hi everypony! Some of you (maybe around 0.1% of the community) might know me as that guy who animated a parody of Pinkie Pie's Giggle At The Ghostly.

Anyway, I'm trying a different style of animation right now. Above is a sample animation I did with this new style. I'm basically drawing it frame-by-frame, and then coloring in. Even though some of you might not be into animation, I would still love to hear some feedback. Please help out a fellow brony? Thanks so much!

Edited by Greg
  • Brohoof 2

Looks good to me. Very smooth, which is arguabley the most important thing in animation. I'm not an animator or an illustrator, but I think it looks alright. I do have a question though, what the fuck is it supposed to be?

Looks good to me. Very smooth, which is arguabley the most important thing in animation. I'm not an animator or an illustrator, but I think it looks alright. I do have a question though, what the fuck is it supposed to be?

Haha thanks for the feedback! That is supposed to be a blob. He's gonna be a new character in one of my upcoming animations! So excited to animate him.

There is nothing here :o. I would love to see your work at a later point if the link shows up. It may just be my crappy computer though.

There should be something :o try refreshing the page? If not, I could try uploading it again in another reply. The file is kinda big, so you might wanna keep trying. Thanks for the interest, though!

There should be something :o try refreshing the page? If not, I could try uploading it again in another reply. The file is kinda big, so you might wanna keep trying. Thanks for the interest, though!

Tried refreshing, still nothing. Is it a youtube link or a file download? Perhaps when Im out of class I can check on my home computer.

Tried refreshing, still nothing. Is it a youtube link or a file download? Perhaps when Im out of class I can check on my home computer.

Oh that explains it. It's an animated .gif , which is linked to my Tumblr. Maybe your school banned certain websites, such as Tumblr etc.? Maybe you can try clicking this link!

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_maqs9sYjaZ1rzyrroo1_1280.gif

• Brohoof 1

Oh that explains it. It's an animated .gif , which is linked to my Tumblr. Maybe your school banned certain websites, such as Tumblr etc.? Maybe you can try clicking this link!

http://24.media.tumb...yrroo1_1280.gif

Yep, that was the issue. Schools firewall seems to be blocking the address, so I will have to check it at home ;_; THE ANXIETY IS BUILDING!

That's very awesome! I like the smoothness of the drawing and animation, spot on my friend! ^.^

And I can't see anything wrong with it, it's very good animating. ;3

it looks incredibly good, it's very smooth which is a strong value in animation. I'm OK with, but if you want me to extremelly critical and complain about everything, the black lines you drew when he's stretching himself are bit off, he's like a slimmy, sticky creature, so the "liquid" lines you drew below his head gives the the impression the he's separating his head from his body, you should've draw the lines on the sides of the body and draw a few drops of his own body falling down, so it looks more like his "nature".

This was me being a bitch, but the animation is perfect as it is, I just raised my standards and pushed further XD

It looks quite good but however, not to sound nit-picky, but the motion of the animation seems off. What I mean that it seems to lack emphasis on its movement with those lines that help illustrate movement better. It would help if you added some as the animation bounces right back to ground like someone wearing spring shoes.

It looks pretty good to me. A little more movement of the mody wouldn't hurt and the only bad thing about this was that the tounge didn't move at the end of the animation.

Edited by Mr. Nibblers

http://youtu.be/-1rdIWlf8uI

jk, It looks smooth. What is it actually doing? It's hard to say if it's good or not without knowing what it's doing. I mean if thats it's walk cycle then i'd say it's pretty bad, but if it's attempting to do... a back flip? or something... then I'd say it's pretty good lol.

http-~~-//youtu.be/-1rdIWlf8uI

jk, It looks smooth. What is it actually doing? It's hard to say if it's good or not without knowing what it's doing. I mean if thats it's walk cycle then i'd say it's pretty bad, but if it's attempting to do... a back flip? or something... then I'd say it's pretty good lol.

It's just being a proud blob, sticking his chest out and looking lively. It's not a walk cycle, don't worry. You gave me an idea, though. That might be the next thing I'll work on. Thanks!

And to everyone who commented, thanks for giving me feedback! Just to let you guys know, the "messy", or "chicken-scratch" kind of drawings and animations are my style! I intend for it to be kinda dirty and "sketch-y", but if you guys think it won't work out in the long run, just let me know!

I think it's fine, could be a little smoother, but still better than what I can do. Also I think that people usually prefer the animations they watch to be more smooth than as you said "messy". But that's just my opinion.

The shading changes as the blob stretches itself backward. You could tweak that for the sake of consistency, or just not shade at all like pretty much any cartoon animation that I see.

Also, I think the motion can be exaggerated quite a bit. Here, I made a rough edit stretching the blob back when it goes back, and forward a bit more when it shrinks back to size:

post-4376-0-90486600-1348551156_thumb.gif

• Brohoof 1

I think it's fine, could be a little smoother, but still better than what I can do. Also I think that people usually prefer the animations they watch to be more smooth than as you said "messy". But that's just my opinion.

Yeah, people don't seem to like this messy kind of animation. It's gonna be too hard for me to let go of this style though, so I'll find my way around it. I'll find a way to make it work. I'll update this thread when I have the time! Thanks!

The shading changes as the blob stretches itself backward. You could tweak that for the sake of consistency, or just not shade at all like pretty much any cartoon animation that I see.

Also, I think the motion can be exaggerated quite a bit. Here, I made a rough edit stretching the blob back when it goes back, and forward a bit more when it shrinks back to size:

post-4376-0-90486600-1348551156_thumb.gif

Yeah, that's what I was aiming for. I couldn't really execute it. Thanks for the edit, though! I'll definitely keep this in mind the next time I animate something. I appreciate it!

Yeah, that's what I was aiming for. I couldn't really execute it. Thanks for the edit, though! I'll definitely keep this in mind the next time I animate something. I appreciate it!

Oh, that was what you were going for?

You know Newton's third law? For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. If you hold out your hand and flap your fingers, you'll notice that your fingers aren't the only thing that's moving as some of that motion will visibly transfer to your upper arm. For this reason, when you see somebody move, chances are they are not moving only one part. When you animate, I always find it far less artificial to try to take this into account and not have things stay still when one part moves. In this case, I saw the body of the blob stay kinda still when it stretches back, so I thought I would see what happens if I exaggerate the motion.

Not that I have any real formal training in animation, but it's something I learned in high school physics that I just happen to apply when I try to animate things myself.

Edited by Pix3M