Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Baby Ponies and their species

pinkiefan1287

While watching the episode Baby Cakes, a thought came to my mind, when Rainbow Dash was talking about Pound Cake flying all over the place and Twilight and Rarity giving the warning about Pumpkin Cakes magic. When does a baby pony realizes what species they belong to? How does Pound know he is a Pegasus and the things on his back are wings and how does Pumpkin Cake know she is a unicorn and can use magic? Or does the flying and the magic just happen one day?

It just seems odd that Pound would be fine flying on top of the ceiling and how Pumpkin just know by concentrating that her toys would start flying.

Right now the twins live in an all earth pony home. So they won't see to much flying or magic when they are with there parents. Now they do live in a store where all kinds of ponies who come in to get treats and some are going to be of there species. So is this how they know it? Seeing all the pegasus flying into the store and seeing unicorns using magic to carry food.

Pound and Pumpkin seem very smart for only 1 mouth old ponies. So could it be that they just know they are a pegasus and a unicorn? When we get a close up of Pound Cake he moves his wings a little. That could be a sign that Pound know about the wings.

What does everyone think?

I think it's just natural reaction and knowledge. The unicorn magic seems to be a bit more spontaneous and not because of Pumpkin Cake's utilization, but for Pound Cake it definitely is innate pegasus nature to try and fly.

It's most likely instinct. Pound knows how to fly because he's a pegasus. Take a baby and put them in water, and they automatically know how to swim without being taught it or having to see it do, or having to think about it. They just do it. Later on he'll come to learn about different titles to different types of ponies, but he knows about his wings because they're a part of his body. You don't need to be taught how to use your hands, you just do, and over time you become more dexterous with them.

As with Pumpkin, magic is as magic does.

• Brohoof 1

You know how babies...pee? (Bad comparison, sorry. :P )

They don't know that they can pee at first, but they automatically do it.

Same with magic and wings. And babies' adorable little toes and fingers.

the same as when we realise we are black, white or asian i guess. they've been born with it so i guess it just comes natural to them as they get older. probably when they gain consciousness around 3 years old.