Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Mighty Tail

pinkiefan1287

So how powerful is a ponies tail anyway and can they control it?

In the episode Baby Cakes, we see 3 characters using their tails in order to do task that look very hard to do and would require a lot of control.

Mr. Cakes is able hold 2 baby diapers on his tale. It kinda looks like he can control it. Next Mrs. Cake, is able to balance a tray with two bottles of milk on her tale.

Posted Image

Pinkie Pie pushes it. Her tail can support her whole body and even lift a bucket of water. Now she maybe able to do this because her tail is very fluffy then the other.

Posted Image

So do all ponies have very powerful tails or could it just be something earth ponies can do?

Edited by pinkiefan1287
  • Brohoof 1

In real life horse tails have enough strength to flip them a little, but in the show they're shown to be fully prehensile. Rarity carries a box with hers in S1E25 Party of One, and in Fall Weather Friends Applejack uses hers to brush Rainbow Dash's face.

Why; no explanation is given and I seriously doubt one will ever be provided, apart from artistic licence due to the fact that they don't have hands.

• Brohoof 5

All the feats using tail from the show were only performed by the Earthlings, it's pretty obvious there Posted Image

Until we see an unicorn in the show using his tail to do something wonderful, those lazy tails can't do anything

(edited)

In real life horse tails have enough strength to flip them a little, but in the show they're shown to be fully prehensile. Rarity carries a box with hers in S1E25 Party of One, and in Fall Weather Friends Applejack uses hers to brush Rainbow Dash's face.

Why; no explanation is given and I seriously doubt one will ever be provided, apart from artistic licence due to the fact that they don't have hands.

That was the episode and the character that did that. I was thinking that one of the characters lifted a box or something with their tale in one of the episodes, but I could not think of it.

Until we see an unicorn in the show using his tail to do something wonderful, those lazy tails can't do anything

Well here it is. A unicorn using their tale to carry something.

Posted Image

Edited by pinkiefan1287

Applejack batted plenty of apples with her tail in Sisterhooves Social, and also did a bunch of tricks with her lasso in Boast Busters.

Rarity used her tail to bat the design for Twilight's dress in the trashcan during Sweet and Elite.

Maybe they just shake their bums?

• Brohoof 1

Well, the ponies obviously have a BUNCH of strength in their tails. It can do most any task because I think it's more of an extra carrying device, that allows them to carry items that they can't carry with their hooves.

Interesting topic. Since ponies have hooves, not hands, and items can only be held in their mouths when walking on all fours, they need to hold it somewhere.

I'm sure Pinkie doesn't really apply to this though; the cartoonists really made her some magical, science-defying pony.

Edited by Dash Is Best Pony

They seem to have basic enough strength to move their tails, but it might depend upon the pony or even to the species to the extent that the tail can be used. As others have said, don't pay attention to anything Pinkie Pie does with her tail, she, unlike the others is clearly not obligated to make any sense at all.

Interesting topic. Since ponies have hooves, not hands, and items can only be held in their mouths when walking on all fours, they need to hold it somewhere.

I'm sure Pinkie doesn't really apply to this though; the cartoonists really made her some magical, science-defying pony.

I don't think we should count Pinkie Pie out just because of her powers of defying everything. Yes she did use her tail to dance, but like I said, she also used it to carry a bucket of water.

Maybe other ponies can dance with their tales to.

I don't think we should count Pinkie Pie out just because of her powers of defying everything. Yes she did use her tail to dance, but like I said, she also used it to carry a bucket of water.

Maybe other ponies can dance with their tales to.

I agree, it's just that Pinkie doesn't compare accurately to the other ponies in the series. Still, she does have several characteristics that the other ponies have and/or require.

I think all ponies have strong tails but obviously they are limited to how much they can lift with it. Pinkie Pie and the Cakes can do this Applejack can bat away apples and laso with her tail. Rarity was carrying a box (of cake).

Although anypony can use thier tails to lift something (maybe in general something as lightweight like the cake box above)Earth ponies have strong bodies so they have the strongest tails and therefore can generally lift heavier things than Pegasi and Unicorns.

(i suck at analyzing)

Edited by ~Chaotic Harmony~
  • Brohoof 2

I think that ponies do have strong tails. If you look in the episode 'Friendship is Magic, Pt 1' you see Twilight stick her tale straight out so that Spike can get off her back. To do this, she would need to have some sort of a limb with her tail covering/growing off of it. The episode does seem odd because in the same episode Rarity cuts her tale short. If this were accurate, it would have cut into the limb that would have to be there in order to accomplish some of the thing she has done with her tail! Also, with Rarity, that limb would have to curl with her tail! :wacko: Edited by Purplepower
  • Brohoof 1

It's also entertaining to see ponies not portrayed accurately in that regard. We've liked it so much that this is the first time I've seen this topic in my just-shy-of-a-year being a brony despite my noticing that about the second time I watched Fall-Weather Friends.

Prehensile tails raises other interesting questions though: how can they have dextrous control with them if they have no nerves? We've seen on multiple occasions characters pulling on manes without causing painful injury, yet the tails respond like they have sensory organs in them.

It's also entertaining to see ponies not portrayed accurately in that regard. We've liked it so much that this is the first time I've seen this topic in my just-shy-of-a-year being a brony despite my noticing that about the second time I watched Fall-Weather Friends.

Prehensile tails raises other interesting questions though: how can they have dextrous control with them if they have no nerves? We've seen on multiple occasions characters pulling on manes without causing painful injury, yet the tails respond like they have sensory organs in them.

That is something I wonder about also. Like in the example I gave about Mr. Cake. From the pic it seems he is bending his tail up to carry the diapers. How can he do that?

You also bring up a good point with the nerves. It seems that they don't feel anything when one pulls on the tail. It also seems that don't feel pain on the mains. Like in Baby Cakes, it seems a lot of times when they wanted to pick up Pound or Pumpkin they had to bite down on their manes. That should, but they seem fine.

I have noticed the same thing as I watched the episodes and seasons, but I never thought they were this strong till I saw the photos. I know that they have the ability to hold or carry things with there tail, butnnever bounce on them like Pinkie Pie did. I do think that in real life that I horse can move it tail a bit, but never hold things with their tails like what the cartoons can do.

I think all ponies have strong tails but obviously they are limited to how much they can lift with it. Pinkie Pie and the Cakes can do this Applejack can bat away apples and laso with her tail. Rarity was carrying a box (of cake).

Although anypony can use thier tails to lift something (maybe in general something as lightweight like the cake box above)Earth ponies have strong bodies so they have the strongest tails and therefore can generally lift heavier things than Pegasi or Unicorns.

(i suck at analyzing)

Edited by The Galex Dj