Deconstructing Rainbow Dash - A critical opinion discussion

chaoticpony

I actually do not hate anypony however, she used to not be my favorite by a long shot mostly because, like most have said, her attitude HOWEVER, she has kind of risen the ladder since season 3

She has shown that she can be quite respectful towards others and that is a quality that I like in most people/ponies

In all honesty

She is my number 2 overall favorite

2nd to Princess Luna of course :P

Edited by ~ds8~
  • Brohoof 1

this thread is perfect for me biggrin.png

the only reason I don't fully hate her, is because she's one of the main characters and carrier of one of the elements of Harmony. But I have to say that she's arrogant, a show-off, not classy, rude, brute, cheater, mean, jerk, attention whore, individualist and much more, and if anyone here dare to tell me none of the mentioned before is true...

then come at me bro! I'm open to debate!

from the 6, I see that she is the character that have had the least character development for over the 2 seasons. Her attitute in the episodes is still the same but her episodes are good though. She has good qualities though, she has a rainbow colored mane, she's fast, she's athletic and she has a fine ass...that's pretty much it of what a like about her, and these reasons are very lame to like a pony, that says much.

But I do get why RD is the favorite of many, I mean, the brony community is composed by a majority of males, and she's like the least girly character of the mane6...the most awesome, so it's obvious that the guys would love her, just for that. When in reality, being girly is not a reason why you shouldn't feel identified by a pony... I'm pretty much a male version of Rarity (and Applejack) and I'm not girly at all, if you have seen how Rarity behaves.

Though I do think that Applejack is a RD but with more character, she's athletic, she's loyal, she can be meanie too. My point is that Applejack is a nice/realistic version of RD, and she can pretty much take her place to me, except for the wings. ow sad.png

I needed to get this out of my system XD

Motion. I'm usually not so brutish, but careful what you say. I will fight you on the street. 

14-henderson-bisping-gif.gif

All who insult Rainbow Dash shall feel my wrath 

That is all.

Edited by Eljordo

Motion. I'm usually not so brutish, but careful what you say. I will fight you on the street. 

14-henderson-bisping-gif.gif

All who insult Rainbow Dash shall feel my wrath 

That is all.

oh Jordi...you are so fat you will forget about this in the morning :)

you love me too much, you wouldn't ever hurt me, despite the fact of what I say ;)

Edited by Motion Spark

oh Jordi...you are so fat you will forget about this in the morning :)

you love me too much, you wouldn't ever hurt me, despite the fact of what I say ;)

I don't know man. You of all people should know not to mess with a man's favorite pony. It's just something you don't do >.>

And I found a more appropriate gif.

funny-gifs-nerd-rage.gif?w=500&h=281

i think the problem with RD is overexposure. shes plastered all over the community, all over the merchandise, and all the catch phrases are  massively popular. its easy for someone to dislike her because they simply cant escape her saturation of the community. its like this with anything though, you either become obsessed or you deeply despise whatever is being forced on you. 

i dont have anything against her though, but shes not my favorite. you guys can debate her pros and cons, but if you dont like her character, then seeing her everywhere simply wont change your feelings towards here. hopefully the last episode helped her win some people over as her personality continues to evolve. 

• Brohoof 1

I don't know man. You of all people should know not to mess with a man's favorite pony. It's just something you don't do >.>

And I found a more appropriate gif.

img-1013041-1-funny-gifs-nerd-rage.gif

but what do you want...I've been holding myself on my thoughts of Rainbow Dash for so long...and I have found a thread about people disliking her, you can't blame me for being honest.

I don't go to every single thread saying that RD is a bitch, but since this is a thread to do that, I have the right to express my thoughts on her.

but what do you want...I've been holding myself on my thoughts of Rainbow Dash for so long...and I have found a thread about people disliking her, you can't blame me for being honest.

I don't go to every single thread saying that RD is a bitch, but since this is a thread to do that, I have the right to express my thoughts on her.

That's it, I've warned you. I am sorry Motion Spark, it is a shame that I must end your life because of this. We've had some fun, but you've gone too far my friend..

me+and+my+roomate+share+a+room+in+our+do

I'm just kidding of course. I just hate it that people tend to look only at Dash's negatives, but overlook the negative qualities of the other ponies. 

People keep complaining how her character doesn't develop, but look a Fluttershy; she's learned the whole 'be more assertive' lesson more than once, and she's still the exact same. 

I could go on, but I'm not really in the mood >.>

That's it, I've warned you. I am sorry Motion Spark, it is a shame that I must end your life because of this. We've had some fun, but you've gone too far my friend..

me+and+my+roomate+share+a+room+in+our+do

I'm just kidding of course. I just hate it that people tend to look only at Dash's negatives, but overlook the negative qualities of the other ponies. 

People keep complaining how her character doesn't develop, but look a Fluttershy; she's learned the whole 'be more assertive' lesson more than once, and she's still the exact same. 

I could go on, but I'm not really in the mood >.>

and besides, I wrote that post before season 3 aired...with the exception of Crystal Empire my perception of Rainbow Dash has been evolving especially for these 2 latest episodes.

• Brohoof 2

and besides, I wrote that post before season 3 aired...with the exception of Crystal Empire my perception of Rainbow Dash has been evolving especially for these 2 latest episodes.

Glad to see even you are at least acknowledging some character development from her, from the last two episodes :3 Like what's been said, the past two have been a breath of fresh air from arrogant, competitive Dash that we've seen for pretty much the past season. She's shown off her caring side in Sleepless in Ponyville, and her loyal, 'friends over looking cool/safety over recklessness' side in the most latest one. I'm very happy we managed to get two episodes with her as a focal point, acting the way she did.

That said, this thread I fear will never die, because there will always be people who will irrationally hate on characters like Dash till their graves :3 Snake Ponies come to mind when I say that sentence...hmmmmm...~

Edited by ~Chaotic Discord~
  • Brohoof 1

That said, this thread I fear will never die, because there will always be people who will irrationally hate on characters like Dash till their graves :3 *COUGHChigensCOUGH*

I'm open to give her a shot, but this is the only change I've seen on her since the creation of the show, so Rainbow Dash was meant to be the way she was, now this Rainbow Dash of these episodes was VERY different but she was still on character.

now, you will see why I hate her, if I grab her personality and put that on a person, let me tell you many would dislike that person right away.

Yeah, I truly always loved Rainbow Dash for whatever reason. Let's think all the way back to the Ticket Master at the end where she's gloating that she got the ticket. In the end she came up with an excuse as to why she didn't need the ticket to begin with when she saw how Upset Twilight Sparkle was. Basically I think of her as a cocky arrogant girl but when it comes to her friends her redeeming traits show off a bit more in some episodes like for example Wonderbolt Academy. She was WILLING to leave the camp and give up her dream just because of how Lightning Flash was being with almost killing her friends and being mean to the others in the school. If you look hard enough you can find flaws in any pony. If you really think long and hard you can find unredeeming traits about just all of the Mane six. Rarity and Rainbow Dash's seem to be the easiest to find however. But, back to the topic at hand I never really hated Rainbow Dash at all because I have seen her at some of her most Cockiness. But, I have also seen some of the times where Rainbow Dash's good natured side has shown through as well.

But, I am not one to change your minds you like who you like. I just save my dislike for Ponies who have just not one redeeming quality to them. Case in point : Diamand Tiara!!!

• Brohoof 1

Nope, I don't really like her either.  She does have a few redeming qualities, but they are FAR too often overshadowed by worse ones.  I know deep down her heart is good, but I've never liked people (or ponies) who hid their good side under a shell of arrogance.

I wouldn't go so far as to say I hate her, but she's my least favorite of the mane 6.

At first I would have said that rainbow was my least favourite of the 6, but after watching some episodes back and seeing her character progress I think she is growing on me.

Her element is loyalty yes? (Not being rude, have bad memory) in this case, her character makes perfect sense. She isn't the kindest, most honest ect. ect. She's the one who has the dreams, but puts them aside for what she thinks is right.

Wonderbolts academy is probably the best example of this, I think that, along with not pulling the Fluttershy prank in season 1, are the most telling moments.

• Brohoof 2

I don't know I just do not like her in any possible way =/ I think she is just a show off and there is no way I could possibly like her. anyone else feel the same?

Yes you are the only one. Rainbow dash does have her bad sides like you mentioned showing off ,but she has good sides too like her loyalty and she cares about her friends a lot. 

• Brohoof 1

Meh, everyone has their preferences. I can see why many people don't like her character. I am a Dashie fan, and I agree that she can come off as too boasting and unmodest at times.

However, with almost every pony having a total different personality than the rest of them, it's hard to like every character.

• Brohoof 1

To be honest boastful people are the kind of people I hate the most. Even more so than ill-tempered, mean people. They make this assumption that other people are jealous of something they are good at. But the truth is nobody values the same things and don't give a damn if you're good at doing that particular activity. That assumption is what pisses me off the most.

Edited by poniesforfun

She's my favorite now, but I used to think she was arrogant and a bit of a bitch as well, but then Season 3 happened. That's all I need to say.

Much better development and she's much more hooked back on that quasi-Buttercup personality she had back in the first season. That heart of gold she has is much more exposed now, rather than her usual arrogant bitchiness.

Season 3's defiantly helping redeem her a lot more now.

Edited by RippedOffMattress
  • Brohoof 2

No, your definitively not the only one. People assume that RD is just a rude, uncaring pony. I mean, I don't really dislike any of the mane six, and RD may not be on the top of my list, but I don't dislike her.

But, especially with episodes 6 and 7, it's hard o dislike RD. :P I mean, I really like RD (she's third on my list). Most people don't see the caring side of her, and she showed a lot of it towards Scootaloo. Although she may not show it, RD has a very loyal and caring heart. Plus, there have been numerous episodes that showed her loyalty. In the Mysterious Mare Do Well, she learned her lesson fairly well. 

So in a way, I kinda understand where your getting at, but she's not SO bad. :) She can be kind when she needs to be. I love RD, heck, I love all of them, and it's hard for me to dislike any of them. :P 

• Brohoof 1

While she's not exactly my favorite, I still consider her an endearing character in all honesty. ^^ It's true that she's a show-off, she does like to brag and is rather aggressive but I think that's what makes her so endearing to me.  I don't really dislike any of the ponies, only because they each have their own distinct personality from the others.  I couldn't imagine the show without any of them, regardless of how much or how little I like them.  They each have their pros and cons and that's just what makes them so lovable and easily relatable!

So, while I agree she can be much too much of a show-off at times, she does always come through for her friends and has actually shown time and time again that she's more than just a show-off.  At first, I admit I wasn't fond of her but she has grown on me! This is just my opinion of course.  :D I love them all!~

• Brohoof 2