Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Deconstructing Rainbow Dash - A critical opinion discussion

chaoticpony

I don't know I just do not like her in any possible way =/ I think she is just a show off and there is no way I could possibly like her. anyone else feel the same?

I don't like her as much as i used to, she went from my fav to almost the very bottom of the list.

that is mainly how she was handled all the way though season 2, they made her more cocky and shallow and didn't even bother with her good characteristics much and yet most bronies seem to like that.

Edited by PonyEcho
  • Brohoof 1

I can see why you’d say that. She is show-offy. I went for a while there not really liking her, but there isn’t anypony I dislike. She’s a trickster and a prankster, and can be boastful so I can see where you are coming from.

I don't know I just do not like her in any possible way =/ I think she is just a show off and there is no way I could possibly like her. anyone else feel the same?

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTNTPpb2fbo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

But anyway, yeah, I see your reasoning. I'm sure there are others out there this dislike RD. *cough*Chigens*cough*

But all that's just in her character.

Think about it like this, she's awesome, radical cool and adorable. She is without a doubt, best pony.

Edited by Scootaghost
  • Brohoof 3

No, I don't like her. I don't like her personality nor her attitude. Actually, that's not the main reason why I dislike her. It's mostly because of her fans.

That also goes with Fluttershy. I have no deal with her, but most of her fans makes me dislike her.

• Brohoof 4

RAGE... GROWING... HULK... SMASH!

Ha ha, just kidding. It's fine if you feel like that. IMO you're overlooking quite a few positive aspects of her character but I can't change who you like. I do dislike a little how season 2 handled her although the only time I found her genuinely unlikable was during the first half of Mare Do Well, and there are people who have acted worse than that in the show. But yeah, even though we're on completely opposite ends of the spectrum it's fine if you feel that way, even if you make me sad :(

I honestly don't think she changed at all during Season 2. I just think the writers dived a little bit deeper into her character. Sure, she may be a show-off and somewhat rude to other ponies (like making fun of Twilight for being an "egghead" or laughing at Applejack when she got mud all over her face), but you can also see her caring deeply for ponies like Fluttershy. Throughout Season 2, I sort of felt like Dashie was always Fluttershy's adoptive sister because she always tried to make Fluttershy more assertive or do things that her shyish nature wouldn't dare to do. I remember in the episode Dragon Quest where Rainbow Dash held up a picture of her and Fluttershy at a "Butterfly Migration". It's something that RD would never ever go to with a regular pony, and even when Fluttershy wouldn't go to the Dragon Migration in exchange, RD respects her wishes after futile attempts to make her go and just leaves her alone. That's the kind of LOYALTY she has towards Fluttershy, because I certainly think that their friendship expands more than just good friends. It's like they're siblings.

Another good deed she did in the second season was have Tank the Tortoise as her pet after belittling him all episode for being slow and not cool. It was only when she found out that Tank saved her from being stuck that she can put all of his boring characteristics aside and just accept him for the animal he is, and how true friends stick together when they are of need of help.

• Brohoof 9

Rainbow Dash is my favorite pony, I started watching the show during season 2, I loved her character and how she was handled, I like characters with big egos and such, and she did have character development, like when she learned that she like reading,

I don't dislike anypony, I like some ponies more than others, but that doesn't mean that I dislike any of them.

Rainbow Dash is pretty cool. She's really confident, and super cool. She isn't my favorite pony by any means, but I still like her. I think she has a very... Colorful personality. (Pun intended)

Edited by Urdnot Shepard
  • Brohoof 4

Speaking as a Rainbow Dash fan, I don't love her so much that I am blind to her faults. But she could be worse. For instance, a real stereotypical show-off jock type wouldn't be close friends with someone like Fluttershy. Not once have I seen RD say or do anything condescending toward her because she's a slow, weak flyer. A real jerk, on the other hand, would show Fluttershy nothing but contempt.

Rainbow Dash attains her greatest success when she's living the element of loyalty. The first two times she performs the sonic rainbow, she's able to do it because she's acting out of loyalty to others. And while I didn't like the Mysterious Mare Do Well, notice that RD does fine when she performs heroic acts out of loyalty to her fellow citizens. It's only when she does feats for her ego that she fails.

• Brohoof 4

I really can't say I like Rainbow Dash.

I just didn't see much character development with her. It WAS there, but it was nothing that made me like her, and it wasn't very significant.

She was my favourite in the beginning, but I was only really riding the "I LOVE DASH" bandwagon. Same with Pinkie Pie. Now I actually strongly dislike them both *laughs*

• Brohoof 1

I kinda like Rainbow Dash since she's a fun character and I really liked how she tried to hide that the liked reading much like allot of bronies hide the fact that they watch mlp.

I kinda like Rainbow Dash since she's a fun character and I really liked how she tried to hide that the liked reading much like allot of bronies hide the fact that they watch mlp.

Was that correlation accidental or intentional? Many bronies say this episode was dedicated to the fans but unless the author comes out and says so, it's just wishful thinking on their part.

Rainbow Dash is my favorite pony, I started watching the show during season 2, I loved her character and how she was handled, I like characters with big egos and such, and she did have character development, like when she learned that she like reading,

That was the episode that made me realize that Dash is more adorable that Fluttershy :). With regards to her ego I think it is in part a self defense mechanism against her self esteem issues.

Where's Chigens? They'll love this topic :3

Dash is one of the most popular characters, but she's also got a personality that spawns a lot of, in my opinion cliche hatred for her hot-headed and sometimes rude/blunt sounding behavior, as well as her ego. Just makes her more realistic to me, as everyone has plenty of flaws.

But no you're certainly not alone in your dislike.

• Brohoof 1

I'll admit that she can be kind of an arrogant bitch sometimes, but I still love her :wub:

It seems to me like the writers are making her more and more rude, arrogant, etc. since the show started and I don't like that :/

For example, it seems like season 2 is when people started hating her because of her attitude...she wasn't as bad in the first season from what I could tell.

• Brohoof 2

Eh, she's ok. I liked her in Sonic Rainboom, Griffon the Brush Off, and Read it and Weep but I can take or leave her anywhere else. Still, all the Mane 6 are my favorite characters on the show, and although Dash might be last there for me I still like her more than any side character- so no, I don't hate her, she's too awesome. ;)

I honestly must say, Rainbow Dash is my 3rd favorite of the mane 6. Just because of her personality, now from what I've seen you either like Rainbow Dash, or you dislike her. I personally would be on the like end of that. You are definitely not the only one. (Chigens).

• Brohoof 1

I myself like Rainbow Dash because of that reason you listed and others. Just the fact that she is so headstrong and aggressive I have to like her. ;)

However I can tell you you're not alone. I know a number of people on these forums who don't like Rainbow Dash... *...cough @Clarity cough...*

• Brohoof 1

Another good deed she did in the second season was have Tank the Tortoise as her pet after belittling him all episode for being slow and not cool. It was only when she found out that Tank saved her from being stuck that she can put all of his boring characteristics aside and just accept him for the animal he is, and how true friends stick together when they are of need of help.

And she almost killed all of Fluttershy's pets during the contest. The bat almost got eaten by an eel. And she "forgot" to warn them beforehand...

Anyway, you're not the only one. As @ said, I don't really like Rainbow either. Her personality just doesn't appeal to me--plus, I think she's Mary Sued on the power side.

Plus, some of the annoying fans made me dislike her more because of the fact that they keep saying things like "20% cooler" and "RD is 20% cooler than all other ponies in ten seconds flat" or something of the sort. Of course, not all RD fans do that.

• Brohoof 2

Rainbow Dash is actually my second favorite pony.

they made her more cocky and shallow and didn't even bother with her good characteristics much and yet most bronies seem to like that.

Shallow I don't really like, (though she wasn't that shallow), however her cockiness I do actually like. There is a reason why I like character such as Sonic, the Scout, and Rainbow Dash. Because they all love speed and are cocky. There is always something about a cocky personality that I always liked.

No, I don't like her. I don't like her personality nor her attitude. Actually, that's not the main reason why I dislike her. It's mostly because of her fans.

That also goes with Fluttershy. I have no deal with her, but most of her fans makes me dislike her.

Why would you let the FANS make you hate them...? That is stupid because they don't effect the characters in any way so don't let fans make you hate decent characters. As for Rainbow Dash she is meant to be 'show-offy' and she is meant to act like she is awesome it is just her attitude!
  • Brohoof 1

She has traits I would have to get used ot if I were to know her in real life, like being such a show-off and her tendencies to be a bit on the shallow side. Of course, she doesn't seem like a bad sort when you get to know her, so I can't really dislike her. She is my least favorite character of the Mane6 though.