Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

8-bit Monetization?

MrAwesomeness

Sorry if this has already been posted, but a quick search came up with no results.

So my friend is into 8-bit music and such, and he decided to make his own 8-bit version of This Day Aria. But he heard about youtube monetization thing, where you can earn money from your videos. He got really interested in that, and he wants to do it with his 8-bit song. But I wasnt so sure if it is actually legal or anything. Cause he didnt make the song, he is just 8-bitifying it. Do any of you know if he can actually earn money from this? It is a really good 8-bit so far.

The thing he would need to do is contact the MLP/HUB legal team through any means. even a tweet to one of their accounts is good. This is tricky because it is like a parody of a song. You didn't really make it, but you did edit a part to it to make it unique. Parodies would be perfectly legal, but you did say he used the original This Day Aria file song format. If he had perhaps just used the 8-bit music making technique by ear, and not actually using the file, then it would have been legal. However, MLP FIM is very lax on their legal policies as we can tell by all the fan-fiction people have put up.

The thing he would need to do is contact the MLP/HUB legal team through any means. even a tweet to one of their accounts is good. This is tricky because it is like a parody of a song. You didn't really make it, but you did edit a part to it to make it unique. Parodies would be perfectly legal, but you did say he used the original This Day Aria file song format. If he had perhaps just used the 8-bit music making technique by ear, and not actually using the file, then it would have been legal. However, MLP FIM is very lax on their legal policies as we can tell by all the fan-fiction people have put up.

Did I say he used a file? Hes making it by ear. Sorry for the confusion. :/ Since he is making it by ear, would it be legal to do it? Or would he still have to contact them?

Did I say he used a file? Hes making it by ear. Sorry for the confusion. :/ Since he is making it by ear, would it be legal to do it? Or would he still have to contact them?

Yes, I believe it would be legal. I mean just look at Weird Al, he made songs like "Eat It" a parody of Michael Jackson's "Beat It". The only thing he did, was sing it himself, get people to play the other instruments, and at least mentioned that it was a parody of a particular song. So if you do it just like that, you should be good to go!

When it comes to YouTube monetization, copyright infringement is a very touchy subject, and it's defined in the terms that even simply humming your favorite song is considered grounds for copyright infringement. Proper crediting doesn't count, unless you're given express permission by Hasbro/The Hub.

Yes, I believe it would be legal. I mean just look at Weird Al, he made songs like "Eat It" a parody of Michael Jackson's "Beat It". The only thing he did, was sing it himself, get people to play the other instruments, and at least mentioned that it was a parody of a particular song. So if you do it just like that, you should be good to go!

Although weird al made new lyrics for all of them. But this is like exactly the same. Same tune, same everything. Except it is made by ear and the voice is a bit off :P Its still ok then? (Sorry if Im annoying you :P But I just want to be 120% sure :3)

Also, congrats on your 100th post! :)

Although weird al made new lyrics for all of them. But this is like exactly the same. Same tune, same everything. Except it is made by ear and the voice is a bit off :P Its still ok then? (Sorry if Im annoying you :P But I just want to be 120% sure :3)

Also, congrats on your 100th post! :)

no problem, I have nothing else to do so this isn't annoying at all. And moT reminded me, it is only legal to monetize the video with permission from the guys at MLP/HUB (like I said in my original post) or if it is a fandom song that might use a copyrighted word once or twice. To be 120% sure, you would again, contact someone at the HUB. And depending on how they see it and how much money they think you will actually make, their answer could differ. You have seen Parody videos that have been monetized on youtube and get millions of views yet nobody gets sued, so thats the only reason I would have to doubt that you need The HUB's permission.

wait, 100 posts? OMGL I DIDNT EVEN NOTICE!!!!