Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Looking for a new book

♫DJ PON-3♫™

You should read The Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher. It's about a duster-wearing wizard in Chicago with a cheesy sense of humor and enough magical power to toss a car 100 yards. It has demons, angels, demons, the Fae, vampires, zombies, and much much more. It is some of the best modern fantasy I've ever read. Keep in mind though that it has some adult content; nothing too bad, but still noticeable. There's some romance, but the book usually stays within the realm of mystery, comedy, and action.
  • Brohoof 1

Books! Yes!

Posted Image

Okay, anyway. I would recommend the Temeraire series. I admittedly have only read the first book so far, but it was very good. The first book is called His Majesty's Dragon. It's excellent. I haven't finished it yet, but I'm more than halfway through the first book in the Lotus War series, Stormdancer. It's pretty awesome. Steampunk fantasy with mythical Japanese creatures and...a general feudal Japan feel. It's very neat.

The first book is fantasy, set during the napoleonic wars, but the wars are fought with dragons. The second book might be more your speed, since it has more to do with demons and the supernatural.

• Brohoof 1

Read Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith. The book's plot revolves around Abraham Lincoln's life being dedicated to avenging the death of his mother who was killed by vampires the book takes every aspect of his life like when he runs for president, the civil war, Stephen A. Douglas, John Wilkes Booth, and slavery. The book explains how all those historical things had to do with vampires. You don't need to american history that well to read the book, but it helps.

I am looking for a new book to read, I am looking for a book the has to do with supernatural things such as demons, zombies, ect. nothing too dull or romantic and I have already read Darren Shan. Any suggestions?

You should read The Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher. It's about a duster-wearing wizard in Chicago with a cheesy sense of humor and enough magical power to toss a car 100 yards. It has demons, angels, demons, the Fae, vampires, zombies, and much much more. It is some of the best modern fantasy I've ever read. Keep in mind though that it has some adult content; nothing too bad, but still noticeable. There's some romance, but the book usually stays within the realm of mystery, comedy, and action.

This. I've heard nothing but good reviews about that story.

Another good title is the Spellwright series by Charles Blake. He does a fantastic job of describing how magic works and how spells are constructed, from the basic construction of various phrases to how fully formed texts are used in combat. In his series, words have actual power behind them, and the better your sentence structure, the stronger the spell.

The hilarious part: the main character is dyslexic to a high degree (a condition known as "cacography" in the book). Thus, anytime he has to complete a task that uses a spell, he usually ruins it.

It's a great read, and two out of the three books have been written (the final piece is set to be released next year).

Edited by CloudFyre

Darren Shan, eh? That brings back memories.

If you're looking for a long term reading investment, give Stephen King's The Dark Tower Saga a try. It's essentially his magnum opus.

My personal favorite by Stephen King would have to be either The Long Walk or Insomnia. Firestarter is great too. Know what? Just get anything by Stephen King that looks old.

Richard Matherson's I am Legend is phenomenal as well. It's a totally different animal than the movie.

Every comment was very useful but i have decided to go ahead and read the dresden files since that seems to be what i am looking for. I will let you know what i think of it and i will think about the other books and might read them in due time and if i feel it is worth reading i will and let you know how it is. THANK YOU ALL