Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Painting of an OC

lardbobobo

Posted Image

This was done with acrylic and water color. The goal of this was to make "A Pony Dealing with Fire!" and I essentially painted an OC whose color scheme is based off of fire. I took a look at a candle and just based all of the colors I saw into her mane, body color, and eye color.

I will admit that this isn't the most original looking piece, but I figured that since a lot of emphasis was going to her mane that it would work well. Overall I worked on this for about three days with about two hours going into each segment.

I'm not particularly proud of this. I think that the mane looks just too blocky and chunky for my tastes. The colors also don't blend too well with each other, which really pisses me off. The entire technique on this is also not that great, with mistakes being seen just about anywhere and obviously too much paint being put on certain areas. The colors also don't blend together all that well. That being said, this is the first work of art that I've actually completed in a very long time and since the only way to get better is to keep on making things I figured that it would be best to put this online and start on a new project.

Any comments at all would be great. Even if you're going to call this thing a piece of #@$% I'd still appreciate it.

• Brohoof 4

Funny as I remember fires being orange, not red. Wait, are there red-colored candle fires around?

The difference between the background and mane could also benefit from a stronger hue contrast.

• Brohoof 1

Funny as I remember fires being orange, not red. Wait, are there red-colored candle fires around?

The difference between the background and mane could also benefit from a stronger hue contrast.

Oh by far. If I was going to repeat this I would choose something that would allow for much more high contrast because, well, it's freaking fire. Thanks!

This is very simple, though it is a great piece. I don't think the blue for the eye was a good color choice, maybe a darker blue. I like it however.

Edited by Tormented Dusty Soul
  • Brohoof 1

It kind of looks like you've chosen the colours straight outta the tube, and haven't blended them much at all. The blobs of paint are too frequent to look good, you could do with making the whole thing "flow" more by using longer, more relaxed brush strokes. Using less paint on your brush would probably help too. I really like the idea behind this, and the shape of the face and the mane is well drawn.

Edited by CrystalRose
  • Brohoof 1

I'm a bit late here, but thanks for the comments. To be honest everything said is kind of how I felt after I finished it up. Next piece hopefully shouldn't have any of these issues.

That is some crazy cool artwork! Do you have this hanging in your room now? :P

*Sigh* Come now, is that all you're going to say? Only criticisms and no compliments? That makes for a rather depressing comment.

And yes, there are such things as red flames. It's a very real thing.

*Sigh* Come now, is that all you're going to say? Only criticisms and no compliments? That makes for a rather depressing comment.

Then again, I am not particularly fond of sugar-coating comments. They're the reason why I don't improve sometimes. At the very least, I left a clear suggestion on what would have been a better way to approach it as it's definitely useful for any artist looking to improve.

Then again, I guess I don't get along well with artists who are more interested with having a bit of fun than improving.

And yes, there are such things as red flames. It's a very real thing.

Yes, from burning chemicals you're not gonna find on a candle wick. I originally asked if there were red candle fires.

Posted Image

Then again, I guess I don't get along well with artists who are more interested with having a bit of fun than improving.

Awww...what's the point if you can't have some fun? I like professionalism as much as the next guy, but I wouldn't pursue anything that I wouldn't have some fun with. (Besides, I'm sure that most people want to improve in some way - it's just that they'd rather enjoy themselves as they reach that goal.)

Yes, from burning chemicals you're not gonna find on a candle wick. I originally asked if there were red candle fires.

Okay fine, in all technical terms: no, there's not a red candle flame. I figured that since the OP was talking about flames in general, I might as well talk about fire in general too. :P

• Brohoof 1

Awww...what's the point if you can't have some fun? I like professionalism as much as the next guy, but I wouldn't pursue anything that I wouldn't have some fun with. (Besides, I'm sure that most people want to improve in some way - it's just that they'd rather enjoy themselves as they reach that goal.)

Who said you can't have fun?

Okay fine, in all technical terms: no, there's not a red candle flame. I figured that since the OP was talking about flames in general, I might as well talk about fire in general too. :P

What's more curious was that he looked at a candle fire and used red.

If you ask me, if you wanna color well, you can't approach colors literally all the time so you can't say that the color of fire is red.

Also, sometimes you gotta know when you can stretch your colors a bit to make something look better.

Edited by Pix3M