Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Jinx's Stable Art Thread

Jinx

Here I go on my journey to become a better artist. I plan to upload pieces here as I finish them. Any criticism you have will help me and is greatly appreciated. Maybe I'll even take some requests in the near future to help me out.

Scootaloo, my first attempt and rough around the edges a bit.

Posted Image

Viscra Maelstrom, I put the most work into this one and it shows.

Posted Image

Edited by Jinx
  • Brohoof 8

I could say it looks great, but it's even more than great it's wonderfull.

Especialy the third one.

Two things to point out:

For scootaloo, she's less "realistic" than the other ponies, but it looks cool so you could consider developing this style.

The thirs one: the coloc choice for the mouth isn't righ: the grey easily disapear between black and white and we cant clearly see it.

Keep it up boy, If I was able to make half your work I'd still be proudPosted Image

• Brohoof 2

I do like the style of the Scootaloo drawing, the eyes are what threw me off of it. I've always had a problem drawing them in perspective to each other. It's just one of those things I need to work on.

I guess I should also add a couple of pieces I worked on in Photoshop as well to this thread.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Both of those made it onto Equestria Daily. I'm going to stick with drawing them, instead of image manipulation from now on though.

• Brohoof 4

The photoshop things are hilarious.Posted Image  But seriously though, nice work!

The Scootaloo DOES look a bit weird to me, but that's probably my own opinion. As for your OC, there's something about the face that looks...I dunno...odd. I have no idea what though. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful here.Posted Image

I also know that a certain princess will be very happy.Posted Image But I do agree that if there is more grey to be shown, it blended with the black or white. And I dunno if this is right, but I there's something odd with her left hindleg. I dunno...maybe the knee is too thin, but I would be able to totally pinpoint it (What the hell am I doing...? This is Sparky's job, I SUCK at this!).

But other than those, they are great pieces of artwork Jinx.Posted Image Keep it up!

Edited by Arcanel
  • Brohoof 1

Your second and third drawings are very good! Viscra's OC has always appeared a bit odd to me (in a good way) and it looks like you managed to capture it in all its glory Posted Image

Scootaloo is the only one that truly sticks out, but mistakes are OK - the muzzle is off, her mane is a bit too straight, and the second flap of her wing isn't proportional to the rest of her wings. It's a good piece otherwise, though!

Edited by Alfonzo Dennard
  • Brohoof 1

And I dunno if this is right, but I there's something odd with her left hindleg.

I had quite a bit of a problem with that, I guess I'm not quite used to drawing bent legs. Every time I redrew it, it ended up turning out skinny. I'll probably redo a few things on it and reupload it later though. So thanks for the tips.

Scootaloo is the only one that truly sticks out, but mistakes are OK - the muzzle is off, her mane is a bit too straight, and the second flap of her wing isn't proportional to the rest of her wings. It's a good piece otherwise, though!

I also noticed that her other wing is missing, and I don't know how I missed that. The muzzle and her facial proportions were the main thing I noticed were off with it. I also ran out of canvas on the first two, I don't plan on doing that in the future.

• Brohoof 1

I had quite a bit of a problem with that, I guess I'm not quite used to drawing bent legs. Every time I redrew it, it ended up turning out skinny. I'll probably redo a few things on it and reupload it later though. So thanks for the tips.

Well, I would guess that drawing the bent legs is not easy (I have hand drawn a few, so I know a little bit about that), so I think that's not so bad. It's all about practice. And you're welcome.Posted Image

And on Scootaloo, my thoughts are pretty much the same as Al's.

• Brohoof 1

Here's something I've been working on for the past few days. I've made a few tweaks here and there and I'm happy with how it came out. The more feedback I get, the more pieces I'll produce.

Hope to hear from more people soon.

4vcld.png

• Brohoof 2

1) Sketchy, but not at all bad.

2) Pretty standard vector, but still no obvious flaws.

3) Very nice. I like the stance and detail that has been paid close attention. The goggles are a little off but the whole thing really is outstanding  :lol:

• Brohoof 1

Well, the only thing I'd criticize is that the right eye of her seems...off to me. I don't know why however. Maybe it's the circles of reflected light, I dunno. :unsure:

But the rest is great! Especially the cutie mark! NICE job on Carrot Top's cutie mark Jinx! :o

Edited by Arcanel

(edited)
Well, the only thing I'd criticize is that the right eye of her seems...off to me. I don't know why however. Maybe it's the circles of reflected light, I dunno.

Yeah that's the thing that threw me off. It has to do with the outline of her left eye being open and the other one being completely closed I think. The circles are in good perspective.

Edited by Jinx

Yeah that's the thing that threw me off. It has to do with the outline of her left eye beyond open and the other one being completely closed I think. The circles are in good perspective.

Yep, that's exactly what I was thinking of. Although I'm guessing that drawing that kind of eyes from that perspective must be somwhat difficult to do.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a new piece I've been working on lately, it's of my OC Swallow Tail. I really like how it turned out, and it was my first attempt at digital shading. This one took a lot out of me, but it's my best work to date.

2dpum.png

• Brohoof 3

Wow...this looks really nice Jinx! An really cute too! :D I can agree that it's your best work as I can see so far. :)

But just two nitpicks of mine, if you don't mind. The reason I call them nitpicks, is because I don't know if they were on purpose or not. First, the lines that make the mouth, mark the nose, and mark the ear, I think are too...thin. As in, I think they lack substance. It took me some squiting to realize where the mouth was. Maybe a slightly darker color for them? Like I said, I'm not sure.

And the other is that, for some reason, I see the hair spikes on the left side of the tail are too little in comparison to the right side, but that's probably just me.

@@Arcanel,

I never noticed that the lines on the nose or mouth were too thin, bu now I can see it clearly. I didn't like how the tail came out, it's bushy on the back end and then flat on the other side.

I also noticed that the wing is at a separate thickness from all of the rest of the lines. I did like how the shading came out though.

@@Arcanel,

I never noticed that the lines on the nose or mouth were too thin, bu now I can see it clearly. I didn't like how the tail came out, it's bushy on the back end and then flat on the other side.

I also noticed that the wing is at a separate thickness from all of the rest of the lines. I did like how the shading came out though.

If you could apply the same thickness that you used with the wings to the rest of Swallow's body, I think that would be the best thing.

But yeah, the shading was great. I think that was your strongest point along with the cutie mark (you're great with those! :D ). Also, it may be me, but now that I look at where the mane splits when falling to the body, there's something...odd. But again, I'm not even sure on this one.

A couple more images for this thread of pure awesomeness. Only a month into this and I can see improvement on every single drawing. Here's an unnamed pony with awesome stuff. This was started before the last one, but finished recently.

qbte8.png

Here's Berry Pie's OC Misty Leaves

pQORU.png

Edited by Jinx
  • Brohoof 2

A couple more images for this thread of pure awesomeness. Only a month into this and I can see improvement on every single drawing. Here's an unnamed pony with awesome stuff. This was started before the last one, but finished recently.

And then everybody goes "Dawwwwww" or "Poor guy..." whichever fits. :lol: He looks really cute Jinx! And it's great! Honestly, if I had to nitpick, it would be that the trees in the socks of the hindlegs crossover in a slightly weird manner (but I think that's obvious), and that there MIGHT be something off with the tail, but that's probably me again. Excellent work my friend! :D

Here's Berry Pie's OC Misty Leaves

She looks nice! :D Just a few curious things of mine. (And I say curious because I'm a stranger to them).

I'm kind of stranger when looking at spread wings for the most part. I find something off with them, but since I don't know , maybe it's just my lack of knowledge. Do you wish me to tell you anyway? :huh:

And the other is for the tail. Isn't the the fact that the tail ends without the outer layer of hair slightly...um...weird? :huh: I dunno, if that's an actual tail style, but it just looks... odd IMO. (Although it might be how Misty Leaves is actually or maybe something happened to her and I just didn't know, so correct if it's either)

I feel so bad just putting nitpicks of mine because they are really good drawings. :( (Plus, you know how much I admire your cutie marks).

• Brohoof 1

Got to tell the truth, when i first saw this topic, i thought i was going to see this guy here:

mt-jinx-toilet-bathroom-cat-meet-the-par Meet Jinx, from The Fockers.

Anyways, The art looks awesome, the colours look great! Except i didn't like one picture. The yellow pony with the horns and Christmas tights. The hind legs don't look to good, and well, He looks Fat :P. Other then that one, i'm loving the rest :P

Edited by Concord
  • Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...
(edited)

Honestly, if I had to nitpick, it would be that the trees in the socks of the hindlegs crossover in a slightly weird manner (but I think that's obvious), and that there MIGHT be something off with the tail, but that's probably me again.

Honestly I wasn't satisfied with that one, that's why I waited for forever to post it. Slightly chubby, and the haunch is misplaced. The eye didn't come out the right size either.

Except i didn't like one picture. The yellow pony with the horns and Christmas tights. The hind legs don't look to good, and well, He looks Fat tongue.png. Other then that one, i'm loving the rest

Aye, I was unsatisfied with that one as well. Hence why it took so long for me to post it.

And here comes one massive post and image dump all in the same. I haven't been keeping up with my own thread to post these, mostly due to a lack of replies, so here goes.

This is probably my favorite piece I've done so far, the shading turned out well and it's a character of my own creation. The eyes still bother me.

img-1033747-1-SsILFae.png

Here's a request from Bari, and my first attempt at drawing multiple ponies in the same piece. It turned out well, and it was really fun to draw.

img-1033747-2-qjR9Fdj.png

Here's a piece for Haven of his OC Synth Pulse. I really like how this one turned out, it's probably one of my favorite pieces I've done.

img-1033747-4-NdWVL2J.png

Comments and criticism are always welcome, maybe I'll even draw something for you if you ask nicely.

Edited by Jinx
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

This one started out as an attempt at Roseluck, but the feminine features were severely lacking. I present to you the Roseluck alternate version, Rouge Chance

img-1163031-1-edrIswG.png

Violet Burst

img-1163031-2-9xqcaXr.png

Here's Lyra being fascinated by a flower.

9zIr0Fk.png

Edited by Jinx
  • Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

My motivation for creating new art has been waning lately, maybe because I've gotten very few responses. Anyways here's a couple more pieces I recently finished.

I have no idea where this came from, but it has the androgynous look I've been suffering with.

seOO0Ee.png

Swallow Tail, colt version

F6wee6y.png

• Brohoof 1