Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Pinkie Pie Psychology?

Kodiak

*Note: Something like this may have been posted here before, but here are my thoughts on it. Longest forum post, away:

I was just listening to the new Everfree Radio episode (the one released with the Baby Cakes episode), and they brought up a theory of Pinkie Pie having self-confidence issues. This really grabbed my attention. It's much more likely that she suffers from some repressed self-worth issues rather than her being the crazy/psychotic "Pinkamena Diane Pie."

Honestly, I agree with that idea. It would explain why she's CONSTANTLY happy in her every appearance. Granted it might just be how she is, that kind of over-the-top happiness is usually the sign of something deeper going on. Those who suffer from self-confidence issues or depression (sadness) want people to think that they don't, so they throw on a mask to hide it. Her displays of constant happiness and joy could just be a coping mechanism for her.

Two episodes back this theory a bit. In Party of One, the cause of Pinkie's depression was because of her assumption that her friends did not like her or her parties anymore. Her insecurities cause her to jump to that conclusion. Let’s assume that those insecurities stemed from her days as a filly. One of Pinkie’s first friends could have gotten so annoyed by her that they just abandoned her (much like the events in Party of One). She reacted with a surge of intense sadness, seeing as how bad things can still happen despite her new lease on life (Cutie Mark Chronicles). Her new motto of “Happy happy, party party” kicked in and she decided to repress that inner sadness with an even more intense outward display of happiness. After feeling a bit less sad internally, she adopted a habit of dealing with drawbacks by going overboard with false happiness.

The second episode is the more recent one, Baby Cakes. However, this example deals with more self-confidence than sadness. In the episode, Pinkie is in way over her head when she decides to take the responsibility of watching after two hyper-active foals. All of her attempts at calming them and keeping to a schedule seem to fail one after the other. It isn’t until Twilight Sparkle comes to the door with the intention on helping Pinkie with the foals that things begin to change. Twilight mentions how “some ponies just aren’t able to handle that kind of responsibility.” Pinkie takes offense to the statement and promptly kicks Twilight out, stating to herself that she can handle things on her own. She then goes back up to the foals and suddenly “lays down the law” in a stern manner. This is where the problem comes in. People with self-confidence/self-worth issues either think: A) They aren’t good enough for anything, or B ) They constantly have to prove/validate themselves to show others that they are competent. In this case, Pinkie clearly falls under the latter.

All of this is more of speculation than fact, but I feel that there’s some pretty solid proof that Pinkie isn’t really the happy and bubbly pony that she appears to be. I’d love to hear your thoughts on the matter.

To those that made it all the way to the end of this, your cookie will be in the mail and delivered promptly, provided that Derpy Hooves doesn’t mess up the shipping and sends them back to me. In which case, I shall eat every last one of them.

Edited by Kodiak
  • Brohoof 1

Derpy hooves, where is my cookie???

Posted Image

A good, well-formed argument overall, but when you say ponies with self-confidence issues constantly have to prove themselves, you basically said Rarity, Applejack and Rainbow Dash all have issues as well (and probably a lot more that I can't name off the top of my head) since in one episode or another, they refuse any and all help, insisting that they do it themselves for various reasons.

Wow. I agree with you on this even though I haven't really thought about them on this level yet. It gets me to thinking, really.

I tell ya, there's a whole mess of things I can go into about the minds of ponies like Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash, but that'll literally take me all evening. lol

My history teacher (Also the psychology teacher) would love this!

Awesome! I'm actually taking an official Psychology class next semester (week), so hopefully I'll be able to elaborate more clearly on any future psychology posts.

Derpy hooves, where is my cookie???

Posted Image

A good, well-formed argument overall, but when you say ponies with self-confidence issues constantly have to prove themselves, you basically said Rarity, Applejack and Rainbow Dash all have issues as well (and probably a lot more that I can't name off the top of my head) since in one episode or another, they refuse any and all help, insisting that they do it themselves for various reasons.

Thanks for the reply. Honestly, I believe that Rainbow Dash has some emotional problems in her as well (whether it be something as minor as stage fright or something a bit deeper than that). Though, I can't really say much for Applejack since she isn't that well developed of a character. lol

Awesome! I'm actually taking an official Psychology class next semester (week), so hopefully I'll be able to elaborate more clearly on any future psychology posts.

Well, your lucky, I'm a junior and only seniors at my school can take it. :(

Wait, HTF is there an honors class if only seniors could take it?

Well, your lucky, I'm a junior and only seniors at my school can take it. :(

Wait, HTF is there an honors class if only seniors could take it?

Ha, funny thing is, I'm taking the class at the honors level, and I'm a high school junior. ;)

I know I thought something similar when I saw Party of One. I definately thought she was desperate to never be lonely or sad again, and that she was afraid everything would return to how it was on the farm (no laughing, no smiling, only rocks).

Good theory.

• Brohoof 1

I would love to hear your psychological theories on the ponies, it's one of my favorite subjects!

Thanks! I'm actually thinking of doing one about Twilight next, but I'll have to see if I have the time to sit down and work it. This post took me an hour and a half to think through. lol

All the ponies are crazy! I bet they all have some issues, remember applejack also refused help and had to prove she could pick all the apples by herself, Twilight is always desperate about impressing the princess and stuff

Yeah, actually it would be pretty interesting to see an analisis on all of them. I would do it but I know nothing about psychology