Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Endings [spoilers]

Brook

Well, first off I wasn't sure if I should call this thread "Bad endings" or "Cheesy endings", so I just generalized it.

Ever felt like an ending wasn't what you wanted? like there were still some unclosed questions or you didn't agree with what the protagonist did? I know I've seen a few, for example, here are the things I think are not good endings:

Killing off the main guy: it's just not what should happen, ever, if you're hoing to make a whole movie about what happens to/around that guy, why would you kill him? unless, the guy killed himself to make it all work out, such as in Looper, where because it was a big circle, it was right to end it by killing himself. (yes there are going to be spoilers, read the title). But other than that, it's just not right to me.

NOT making any sense: if at the end the movie takes a HUGE 180 TURN WITH FLAMING WHEELS THAT SCORCH IT'S PATH, it's a terrible ting. No excuses, if the protagonist decides to do something that entirly contradicts everything he is/was so far, or if something that we haven't seen yet suddenly comes out of nowhere and solves everything the movie built up to, it bothers me. It breaks immersion, and it breaks the spirit of the movie.

So tl;dr -  any movies make you feel unsatisfied?

Edited by Brook

But I /like/ when the main character gets killed off. No one is immortal. Unless you are. And then if you die, that's just weird (Actually that depends on what type of immortality, but I won't go too much into detail).

Okay, this is more for English people sorry, because I don't think it was showed anywhere else, but WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED IN MERLIN?

For those who don't know  a great show that has just ended is Merlin, about Canterlot and Arthur  Basically, magic is banned and Merlin is protecting the king with magic without him knowing.

Now, here is where the spoilers come in!

Basically, almost all the characters are killed off. The main antagonist, the other main antagonist, half of the knights AND ARTHUR!!!

The weird thing is, all the way through Merlin was destined to protect Arthur who would bring peace and bring on a golden age of peace and allow magic. None of this happened.

S yeah, that was the worst ending in the world  :)

• Brohoof 1

Old Yeller, for one. It doesn't help that I'm an animal lover and I read that book when I was, like, ten.

Also, Cowboy Bebop:

DID SPIKE DIE OR NOT?! But regardless, still the best ending to a TV series I've ever seen.

If anyone has ever seen "Wonderful World" or something like that with Kevin Costner and Clint Eastwood i must say that it was one of the saddest endings i've ever seen. I won't spoil it, don't worry.

I think the main character dying is a very good way to end a story, especially if it's a self-sacrifice for a greater good (e.g. Looper, LOST), old age (e.g. Les Miserables), or they've become more anti-hero than hero (e.g. Sweeney Todd, The Prestige).

You know, I just feel like everything JJ Abrams is involved with has an unsatisfying ending to it. His endings just leave that feeling of, now what? He has the vision for films, but not the resolve to clearly finish something on a high note.

Inception - I would like to know what we are supposed to make of its ending

Shutter Island - I had it explained to me, but was still not sure that was what happened