Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

My parents want me out of the fandom. I might be saying goodbye someday soon.*

DoctorWhovian1902

No problem! I'm always glad, being able to help a fellow brony! Hopefully you'll be able to convince your parents with this. And no matter what, we'll always be there for you. ;)

• Brohoof 2

This may prove useful in this feat. At most, I guess I can say good luck, and let the video try and speak for you in this case. Hope it helps some.

Here's their rule of thumb, which explains why I basically can never use any YouTube video as evidence on any topic (Like this one:

). If it doesn't come from the news in some form, it's automatically false.

Because of that, they'll just say this is an unreliable source and disregard it.

Edited by whoovesfan7698
  • Brohoof 1

Well then, approach them next time they try and use the news as the "right" excuse, ask them what they would use if they didn't have it? What if they thought that newspapers were always right? Or if they thought that the internet always had the right answers? Do they understand how bloody ridiculous they sound saying that only one source will always be right?

• Brohoof 2

Absolutely not. Nobody can FORCE you to do anything. If you want to be a brony, be the best damn brony you can be. Parents are supposed to love their child no matter who they are. Sounds, like your parents are the total opposite. It irks me how they want you to be any different. What gives them the right to do that. Keep fighting. Push them back. We're all here for you!

• Brohoof 3

you know let just stop these

it not that big of a deal

MLP in the end just a cartoon

stop watch it for the next few months and then when you can watch it again

and try to watch other things i these time

one year is not that mach

how long before you leave any way

you know let just stop these

it not that big of a deal

MLP in the end just a cartoon

stop watch it for the next few months and then when you can watch it again

and try to watch other things i these time

one year is not that mach

how long before you leave any way

Well, I'm still a junior for starters. Then after high school, I've got some...well, let's just say I'm going to be away for two years. Then when I come back I'll be off to college, so I can be part of the fandom then.

I do have a few people who are interested in the fandom, though, and that friend of mine might just join, who knows. Here's to hope.

• Brohoof 1

Hey! That brony documentary that John De Lancie made might help. He said that it was a way for bronies to show their fandom to their parents in an official way. If your parents rely heavily on official sources, this could work. Plus, if your parents know John De Lancie and like him as an actor that could influence them too.

• Brohoof 1

Well, I'm still a junior for starters. Then after high school, I've got some...well, let's just say I'm going to be away for two years. Then when I come back I'll be off to college, so I can be part of the fandom then.

I do have a few people who are interested in the fandom, though, and that friend of mine might just join, who knows. Here's to hope.

so ether you lost you interest about MLP

or all of us lost interest about MLP

or you father become brony

:lol:  imagen after 2 years you dad till you he start watch it and he like it

so ether you lost you interest about MLP

or all of us lost interest about MLP

or you father become brony

:lol:  imagen after 2 years you dad till you he start watch it and he like it

Ha! :lol:

...Yeah, that'd never happen. :(

Still, though, maybe by that time bronies will finally be fully accepted by society as a whole. Maybe, just maybe...

• Brohoof 1

It always makes me a little sad/upset when I here about things like this. I understand why parents (especially the older ones) would think its a bit unusual for someone to like MLP. But I also dont understand how parents are always encourage being/expressing yourself, but turn around and dissaprove of anything if its out of their definition of "normal". My parents were a little weirded out by me liking it a first, but after they learnt more about the show and how may bronies there are they didn't care anymore, I'll never forget the day my mom adressed Derpy by her name from learning it on the internet! My advice would be to proove to them its a pretty normal, harmless, and imo a pretty awesome thing. But given the whole "only trusting the news" thing, that might be harder then it sounds. :huh:

But always remember no matter what happens, were all here for you! :wub:

• Brohoof 1

I found a news article that may help your case I'm not sure whether or not you want to try to show your parents but it's somewhat recent it's from Oct of this year.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/oct/01/my-little-pony-bronies-rebels

It looks good. I've honestly been compiling a lot of news articles that say positive things about us to counter what my parents may use. I appreciate all the help.

• Brohoof 4

:/ Hmmm seems like you need to sit them down and talk to them.

Firmly stick to your gun on the subjects of friends and the show in general.

What I really think is the problem with them, not liking bronys is "they dont know much about them and care about you" OR there just butts ethire or you need to talk to them about it.

And if that doesn't work tell them that it's your god given right (or who ever you believe in I'm just saying) to be friends with who ever you please and watch what you like and that you are not going to change just cause they say to, And so on so forth.

Though I do believe some parents are just to strick this seems more less just like a care about who you are becoming thing so ya don't get to angry about it.

• Brohoof 1

Just take up satanism as a hobby, and after a few weeks when they find the stench of chicken blood emanating from your room too unbearable they'll beg you to go back to ponies!

Joking aside. Maybe you should just ignore them. Parents have always disapproved of the new things kids get into which they do not understand. Music, comics, ponies. Eventually they'll realize how pointless it is trying to dictate your habits.

Edited by derpstar
  • Brohoof 4

I would worry a little bit that  your friend might feel obligated to say ' i love this show'  in order to keep you in the fandom.  However,  my biggest concern right now is trying to keep you in the fandom where you rightfully belong.  I would certainly hate to loose you. I would  make it 100% clear that you will not change no matter what.  they can't force you to change, changing someone against their will only makes for more unhappiness on both ends.  

They hear what I say, but they don't listen;

I don't think it's 'they don't listen' .  But rather, I think  they refuse to listen to you,  because some parents have it in their heads that they are automatically right and we're automatically wrong about something.  They're pretty stubborn sometimes.

• Brohoof 2

It didn't go at all. I just couldn't figure out how to bring the show up to him. Forget the fact that he's basically the determinant in my future as far as my parents are concerned, it's also whether his hatred will be fueled or doused. It ain't easy, and it makes my blood go cold every time I think about it. If it finally comes down to it, "Sonic Rainboom" or "Return of Harmony" are my picks for him (He was already introduced to Dr. Who by a friend of ours. Since the episode was about an hour long, I feel my means are justified.). What do you think?

You could try showing him The Doctor and Assisstant audio episodes on youtube by Piercesmoulder. Thats kind of what I did to get my own friend to watch it. He is a huge fan of Sonic so I showed him Sonic VS Rainbow dash by Megajamesstudios. If that doesnt work, How about a PMV with a song he is fond of?

Edited by z11011
  • Brohoof 2

Well if you're posting here there's no way you'll get an unbiased opinion. In fact posting here pretty much means you already know what you want to do and are just looking for democratic support that the decision is right. Not that the decision is wrong, but if you weren't aware that's what you seem to be doing.

Anyways, I would say respect your parent's wishes. Respect, that is, in the same way I respect religion, which is by acknowledging that that particular way of looking at things is valid, but not the same as my way of looking at things and certainly not relevant to what I will do most of the time. They can't control what you do, but when they push against you the best option isn't always to just push harder. If your dad specifically said "I don't approve of this unless your friends are also doing it" (A very strange thing to say, but there are all kinds of people...) then find some friends that are also Bronies. As far as I can tell we're everywhere and growing, and you already have at least one thing in common with each and every one. Try to understand specifically what your parents disapprove of. If they think it's too girly for you, or too childish, maybe they just need a demonstration. If they think you're spending too much time on this one thing and it's affecting "more important" things like nonsense schoolwork you'll never use in real life, then prove them wrong. If they refuse to listen to you, then you can refuse to listen to them, but say so or you may end up making your life awkward and difficult for far longer than you need to.

Also of note, I didn't read the other responses. Feel free to ignore advice you've already tried.

Edited by Kamil
  • Brohoof 2

i have great idea

make a bet with you father

gave him these story LINK print it on paper add few images and tell him if he read it you will stop watching the show

Me: Hmm...I wonder what's linked here.

*clicks on link*

*sees what story is suggested*

NO. That will NOT work on him, he'll think it's stupid, kiddy, and cheesy. You'd think that considering he's absolutely obsessed over Christmas, and tells me all the time about how it's meant to be a magical time of year for all, a time of miracles and peace, he'd appreciate something meant to draw out emotions. But the second he sees it's MLP based (no matter how loosely), he'll hate it and use it as further means to condemn bronies. Not to mention, as you can probably guess by now, he's a major troll, so he'll "read" it then say, "Okay, I read it. Now you have to stop watching the show.", and that would be the end of it.

I think it's the fact that the fandom is so "obsessed" over the show that they'll make music, art, and stories for it that makes them hate it futher. I swear, if they knew I was writing an FiMfic...bad stuff.

I do appreciate the suggestion, though. And I do want to show that story to a few people I know, if they join the fandom, of course.

I want to re-read the story myself sometime soon, anyways. I'm thinking February 4th (when I officially joined the fandom. It was thanks to that story.).

Edited by whoovesfan7698
  • Brohoof 1

*clicks on link*

NO. That will NOT work on him, he'll think it's stupid, kiddy, and cheesy. You'd think that considering he's absolutely obsessed over Christmas, and tells me all the time about how it's meant to be a magical time of year for all, a time of miracles and peace, he'd appreciate something meant to draw out emotions. But the second he sees it's MLP based (no matter how loosely), he'll hate it and use it as further means to condemn bronies. Not to mention, as you can probably guess by now, he's a major troll, so he'll "read" it then say, "Okay, I read it. Now you have to stop watching the show.", and that would be the end of it.

I think it's the fact that the fandom is so "obsessed" over the show that they'll make music, art, and stories for it that makes them hate it futher. I swear, if they knew I was writing an FiMfic...bad stuff.

I do appreciate the suggestion, though. And I do want to show that story to a few people I know, if they join the fandom, of course.

I want to re-read the story myself sometime soon, anyways. I'm thinking February 4th (when I officially joined the fandom. It was thanks to that story.).

yah look like it kind of bad idea

it just the best the fandom can gave

any way i think just like same others say be a secret brony

see it on youtube (use headphone) and never talk about it

i think that you in these fourm that long mean no one stop you from do what you want

i think you can have a 20 minet each week for you self

yah look like it kind of bad idea

it just the best the fandom can gave

any way i think just like same others say be a secret brony

see it on youtube (use headphone) and never talk about it

i think that you in these fourm that long mean no one stop you from do what you want

i think you can have a 20 minet each week for you self

I think it may come down to that. Besides, the only reason I've been able to spend a lot of time here is because my parents went away for the weekend, but they'll be back tonight so I'm not sure what will happen from there.

*clicks on link*

What kind of fiction does he like? If he likes horror spring Silent Ponyville on him, or Creeping Darkness. Those are both better then some published horror I've seen.