Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

My parents want me out of the fandom. I might be saying goodbye someday soon.*

DoctorWhovian1902

But I wonder if there is another side to the story. Do you buy lots of MLP things and waste too much money? Do you act weird? Does MLP make you stay away from other hobbies? (but you go to club, that's good)

Edited this person's post in case poor grammar gets in the way of taking others seriously.

While I do believe that your parents really have no right to tell you that you can't hang out with bronies or watch the show, it may be time to understand why they feel this way. It's easy to assume that they are just being controlling, but if being a brony has changed you or makes you into something that is a bit socially unpleasant, then you have to try to see where they are coming from.

Of course, only you know your parents, so only you can really determine what their motives are.

• Brohoof 1

so did he gave you a good resen why not to watch it

do he think nuked horses is bad for you :D

ask him way it just don't make since

is it magic i know same parents don;r want magic show or movies in the house )

in my country i;m the only one who know the show :D no arab fans for the show yet

so mabe ..

No. My parents love Christmas movies and the Harry Potter series, so it's not that they don't like the magic.

They just don't like that it's a show for little girls (or so they think).

I don't know what to say anymore.

You have to go up to them and make it clear you aren't going to change! Not even if they took away everything you've ever owned or took away all of your privileges as a person who's one year away from adulthood! Just because you're their son doesn't mean you're their little mindless robot with no will!(This is what happens whenever my mother does something similar. My rebellious side comes out) 

Otherwise, talk to them about why exactly they hate the show. It's a very lousy reason to not like a show just because its targeted audience was little girls. Their motives must go much deeper than that. And when I mean deep, I mean maybe something from their pasts.

Edited by MagicalStarRain
  • Brohoof 3

BE VERY CAREFUL! 

I am not advising you to cave to their will nor am I advising you to stand against them. What I do advise is to be intelligent. Try telling them all the good things Bronies do like the creativity it has inspired. Tell them about the charity work that has been done by Bronies or tell them how the show has made you a better person and less racist or more tolerant of Gays and other people.

Try spending some time with your parents where you don't talk about MLP at all, that will help show that your not obsessed or overdoing it. 

The biggest thing is that you do not make your parents defensive or think you're trying to circumvent their authority because if it turns into a nasty argument you will suffer. 

I don't know you or your parents and I can't say whether they are good parents or not, but they probably think your weird and that is understandable. Maybe acknowledged that it's weird that you like the show but point out that for a long time Nerds were looked down upon. 

So just remember to be diplomatic about it and remember that your parents are not enemies and should be not be treated like enemies. May I advise you read the book "How to win friends and influence people?" 

THIS^^^^ (cept for the book recommendation i can't back that up cause i have not read it.)

Like really, i know alot of people are saying BE YOURSELF AT ALL COSTS SOLDIER and STAND UP TO THE MAN *fist in the air* but in all honesty the situation you are in could be very delicate and it seems to be as such. Of course you have to be yourself and don't change what you like, because frankly there is nothing wrong with it. (unless you are over super obsessive in some weird way we don't know about and it is turning out to be a problem =3= but lets assume that is not the case.)

The quoted post kinda says it all, you gotta go at it like you are trying to defuse a bomb, cause that's what you are looking at, a Pony caused Terrorist Anti-Bronie bomb, and you gotta decide how to cut them wires, be calm, understanding, don't show frustration or act too defensive, make sure to be understanding and humble, and most of all, keep the brony stuff down infront of your parents or Dad, just keep it on the low low, and if all the intelligent explaining and trying doesn't help, then don't mention it AT ALL, don't bring it up, talk about it, or show ANYTHING pony related just basically, make it your own thing.

And i know alot of people probs think, "Thats not right or fair, he should be able to do and say what he likes about ponies, and hes old enough and Blah blizzle" Fact of the matter is, if you live in your parents house, and as long as you do, dems the beanz, you gotta follow their rule and respect their wishes alot more than if you were living on your own, It may not be fair, but the World isn't fair, you just gotta learn ways to deal with things. 

I am hoping and praying everything works out great for you, be you, but be smart, i know you can figure out a way to do this.

• Brohoof 5

Well, at this point, forget what I said, don't be timid. Tell them you WILL like what you want, and that they WILL NOT change that, and that they are disrespectful to try and change your interests. You may be their child, but you're a still a human being, and deserve respect as such. And if it comes down to it, start trying to force your brony lifestyle onto them, so when they ask you not to try and force it on them, tell them that that's exactly how it feels to you, for them to try and force you to not be a part of something you like.

• Brohoof 2

I sort of know how you feel... I'm sixteen, and my mom HATES that I love the show. It's not for the same reason that your parents hate it I think, because I'm a girl, it's just that my mom is disgusted that I haven't "grown up" and that I don't act like a "normal" teenager. I don't even think she knows what a brony is, all she knows is that I watch pony videos, play pony games, listen to pony songs, and more than anything else, draws ponies, and she hates it. I don't ever talk about the show in front of her, except if my little sister wants to talk about it, but she tends it to bring it up and rant about how much she hates it.

Anyways, what I'd suggest doing is maybe point out that telling you to stop liking ponies is like you telling your parents to stop liking whatever they like, whether it be crime shows or a movie genre or a certain band. It just isn't fair. Don't yell at them, don't get angry, just stand your ground and say that it's your life and you aren't hurting anyone with your hobby like they aren't hurting anyone with their's.

Good luck sir :)

• Brohoof 3

From your other thread I know that you have good grades and your parents are obviously impossible to argue with.

Worst comes to worst and they threaten to send you to some sort of prison camp...

(seriously one of my sisters friends got sent to a drug rehabilitation camp because her parents suspected that she was a meth addict -> she was actually an alcoholic, but then again so where her parents)

Just drop the subject and don’t do anything remotely pony related where anyone can find out. You don't need to lie but don't let it be an active issue. Just tell your parents that you understand their concerns and play the good little child until you finish high school.

Then go to college and do whatever you want (remeber to study). There are entire clubs at my school that watch MLP. Seriously my college had Rainbow Dash chalked on the sidewalk wishing everyone luck on their finals.

Playing fair will only take you so far when you face those who don't listen to reason.

Edited by Cowl
  • Brohoof 2

This is a forum for people who watch the show you're asking here, but I'll try to show little bias.

First, I think your parents should know your side of how things are. I wouldn't suggest telling them off or anything, unless that's how you do things, but tell them how it is. It sounds pretty ridiculous to make a big deal out of something like this.

As for your friend, is it really necessary to make him watch the show? If he asks you, just give an honest opinion of why you like it, unless you've already done that. If so, just cut your losses and take it for what it is.

It's the fact that my parents are going to change my future depending on my friend's opinion. The fact that they're equally judgemental really doesn't help, and is kind of ironic.

Secondly, I agree, it is ridiculous, but they don't listen to me. I'm sure it isn't uncommon, but it's a "You listen to me, but I don't want to listen to you" kind of case. And no, they don't listen. They hear what I say, but they don't listen; they don't give things a chance unless it instantly appeals to them; they don't want to change their opinions no matter what.

I have noticed something, these kind of threads are one of the most common threads on here and it is really sad. In every one of these  threads the parents don't really seem to actually listen and seem to show a great deal of insecurity by demading conformity instead from their child instead of encouraging them to be a strong individual. Some of them may mean well, but they are going about it in the wrong way forcing children to conform to arbitrary codes of conduct that make no sense only makes them grow up to sheep that cannot think for themselves and it is because we have too many sheep and not enough individuals that we are so much trouble right now.

• Brohoof 3

There's actually a fact that can help you win your case (unless it would contradict anything you might have said prior). Generation 4 of MLP is not actually oriented towards little girls. Lauren Faust herself said that she wanted the show to appeal not just to them, but to all other ages and genders too. In the end, it's the same as liking any other show, no?

It seems like your parents think the disproportionately large fan base for the show is effectively an over-hype, and that the show at the end of it is mediocre. Try and explain that this isn't the case - that it's a really good show and it has the awareness that it deserves. Explain that millions of fans all over the world can't be wrong. Argue your corner, man - we as your fellow bronies will root for you and your status as loyal brony!

• Brohoof 2

You just need them to understand why you like it.

Oh, I tried to explain it to them. I explained the show has interesting, well-developed characters, not cliche ones, that it has interesting storylines, teaches good morals, and is overall a high-quality show. They compared it to Sesame Street in the morals and characters part, and...well, I think you see about how well that conversation went over.

It's as if they're trying to prevent you from making friends. What sort of parent would do that? As far as I can tell you're going to stand up to these two and their ridiculous sentiments on meeting a friendly community, and prove yourself loyal to the fandom you know and love. We're all hoping you do well.

• Brohoof 1

I agree that the newest season is geared toward us.  In fact, there is plenty of evidence that is on your side, but if they won't listen and only want to hear the answers they want to hear it doesn't matter.  Trying to push the point will make them more angry and inevitably less rational.

Don't push your like for the show with them, just know that it is your decision to like it and enjoy watching it and talking to your friends who also watch it on here.  If you want to do anything, show them how you are an adult and everything they think the show somehow hinders you from being.

• Brohoof 2

Jeez, that's a bad situation to be in. Tell them that being a brony is practically like a hobby. Imagine if they wanted you to stop fencing. Sure, they may be your parents, but they don't have the right to decide what you do or don't do. You've tried to show all of your friends MLP and not one of them liked it? Hmm... this is a pickle. You can try to ignore them, or maybe you can just speak for all of the bronies out there. If all else fails, I'll come over there and have a... chat... with your dad. Sorry, about this situation you're in.

Well, technically my friend hasn't seen it yet, but he's a very strong hater of bronies, enough that I'm one question from them away from being kicked out of the fandom, despite his biggest argument, that we're all "immature faggots", being no better than my parents.

As for talking to my dad, no. Just no. Keep in mind that they don't know about this website, much less that I'm talking about them, in a sense, behind their backs. The very fact that I've started this topic is basically suicide. Having you chat with him, while in theory a great idea and I'd love to let you, would do more harm than good. I'm sorry.

Oh my gosh dude im in the same EXACT situation your in right now. My parents already told me to stop me from watching mlp but I didnt and they took away my internet away from me. Normally i'd just say to just watch the show behind thier backs like I do but I think it's time you just confront them and tell them to please stop overreacting....Its just a t.v show for crying out loud.

Edited by ~Chaotic Harmony~
  • Brohoof 2

Do what i do.. enjoy the show, but dont show it. Dont get me wrong, i have a Derpy Plushie by my TV in my living room, but no one cares. Just dont go out with MLP shirts or whatever.. be a secret brony from now on

Also one thing that i wanted to say is your 17. You are nearly an adult ,use that as your as your advantage. Really they shouldnt control you when you are 17.

You're right, as well as everyone else who's said it. That's why my parents have said if I don't like it, I should move out (which really isn't an option, for more reasons than one, trust me.).

so did he gave you a good resen why not to watch it

do he think nuked horses is bad for you :D

ask him way it just don't make since

is it magic i know same parents don;r want magic show or movies in the house )

in my country i;m the only one who know the show :D no arab fans for the show yet

so mabe ..

PS : i read the other topic

i think you father point you not man if you watch MLP

these is stupid

and he fear what others will think about you

let me say that

i'm (31) years old and i use to think that way thin i find out ill die with out the things i realy like

life is so short to live it like other peoples want , and life so short to don't live it the way you want

you know what just ignor him and YOLO

you don't do any thing wrong

dame it other kids do drags sex join gang bullies and to many other things

you father lucky to have you

by the way you don't do any one of these things right

Right. I'm a good person, and wouldn't get involved in those things. I'm tempted to joke about that now, though, as my dad describes the show and buying its merchandise as "not age-appropriate". Okay, so I'll start doing weed (sarcasm).

THIS^^^^ (cept for the book recommendation i can't back that up cause i have not read it.)

Like really, i know alot of people are saying BE YOURSELF AT ALL COSTS SOLDIER and STAND UP TO THE MAN *fist in the air* but in all honesty the situation you are in could be very delicate and it seems to be as such. Of course you have to be yourself and don't change what you like, because frankly there is nothing wrong with it. (unless you are over super obsessive in some weird way we don't know about and it is turning out to be a problem =3= but lets assume that is not the case.)

The quoted post kinda says it all, you gotta go at it like you are trying to defuse a bomb, cause that's what you are looking at, a Pony caused Terrorist Anti-Bronie bomb, and you gotta decide how to cut them wires, be calm, understanding, don't show frustration or act too defensive, make sure to be understanding and humble, and most of all, keep the brony stuff down infront of your parents or Dad, just keep it on the low low, and if all the intelligent explaining and trying doesn't help, then don't mention it AT ALL, don't bring it up, talk about it, or show ANYTHING pony related just basically, make it your own thing.

And i know alot of people probs think, "Thats not right or fair, he should be able to do and say what he likes about ponies, and hes old enough and Blah blizzle" Fact of the matter is, if you live in your parents house, and as long as you do, dems the beanz, you gotta follow their rule and respect their wishes alot more than if you were living on your own, It may not be fair, but the World isn't fair, you just gotta learn ways to deal with things. 

I am hoping and praying everything works out great for you, be you, but be smart, i know you can figure out a way to do this.

*Reads*

*Applauds loudly*

That was very deep, and thanks for the words of encouragement. I think you're right, this is like defusing a bomb, a bomb I've had to see many times before. Yeah...I'm hoping things work out too.

From your other thread I know that you have good grades and your parents are obviously impossible to argue with.

Worst comes to worst and they threaten to send you to some sort of prison camp...

(seriously one of my sisters friends got sent to a drug rehabilitation camp because her parents suspected that she was a meth addict -> she was actually an alcoholic, but then again so where her parents)

Just drop the subject and don’t do anything remotely pony related where anyone can find out. You don't need to lie but don't let it be an active issue. Just tell your parents that you understand their concerns and play the good little child until you finish high school.

Then go to college and do whatever you want (remeber to study). There are entire clubs at my school that watch MLP. Seriously my college had Rainbow Dash chalked on the sidewalk wishing everyone luck on their finals.

Playing fair will only take you so far when you face those who don't listen to reason.

I don't think they'll send me off to a prison camp! :P

It sounds like it may come to being quieter about it. I was talking with someone else about how I'm basically at square one here all over again.

It may come down to just being quiet until I move out. Then, I swear, the first thing I'm doing is buying a Rainbow Dash plush.

P.S. The Rainbow Dash chalked on the wall? Awesome. In fact, I might have just gotten some inspiration for something to do at my school...

Don't let your parents change who you are. They cannot, and I mean cannot force you to stop being a brony. Nobody out there should try to change anyone else, especially if it's something as simple as a television show. Maybe you could show them this thread, show them how much we all instantly connect, join together, and become friends. Your parents of all people should not be trying to change you.

• Brohoof 1

Don't let your parents change who you are. They cannot, and I mean cannot force you to stop being a brony. Nobody out there should try to change anyone else, especially if it's something as simple as a television show. Maybe you could show them this thread, show them how much we all instantly connect, join together, and become friends. Your parents of all people should not be trying to change you.

Here's the thing, they don't know about this website, much less that I've talked with you guys about them (behind their backs in their minds). If I showed them this thread, or had anyone chat with them, it would only make things worse because they just don't want to like it and see anyone liking it to be problematic, so they'd treat the person as such. Not to mention they'd make me delete my account here.

Here's the thing, they don't know about this website, much less that I've talked with you guys about them (behind their backs in their minds). If I showed them this thread, or had anyone chat with them, it would only make things worse because they just don't want to like it and see anyone liking it to be problematic, so they'd treat the person as such. Not to mention they'd make me delete my account here.

Ah. I guess that makes sense. Honestly though, if your parents try to have this conversation again, I would just say "You can't change me because I don't have the exact same preferences as you. You're my parents. I would think you would be proud of your son for being who he is." Okay, probably not exactly like that, because I would probably get hit. Find another way to say those things. Your parents should be ashamed of themselves.

Edited by Swick
  • Brohoof 1

Your parents should be shamed of themselves

They don't believe in being ashamed, at least not as far as I can tell. They do seem to have a knack for pointing out others' flaws, though, regardless of them being flaws or not in the first place (ie: bronies. You should have seen their reaction when BroNYcon made the front page of our newspaper).

• Brohoof 3

Being in a fandom means you like something that's popular.  You can't be forced to not like something.  That's fucking stupid.  I hope you pointed that out to them.

I haven't...yet.

The thing is, I can't point out their contradictions, hypocrisy, or otherwise stupid comments because they always have an excuse they stand by and I'm always left giving silence because I don't know how to respond.

I'm going to be frank here.Your parents are some of the stupidest parents I've ever seen.First the whole plushie thing,now this bullshit comes up?Like,friggin' hell man,I'm surprised your parents haven't tried to make your home like a prison camp where you can't like anything "abnormal" for typical male.

I really want to say that you should just tell them to bugger off and let you do your own thing,but like Seiji said,you're still under their roof and their rules.Honestly,I would just not bring it up unless it's brought up and keep it low-key until you can afford to move out,then just buy all the brony stuff you want.Or if worse comes to worse,just sell your merch and just let your parents think you're not a brony,then just buy anything you want once you're outta the house.

It's always good to stand up for yourself,but if the situation is as delicate as this,I honestly would just (relucantly) comply and do whatever they say until they're satisfied.Hell,that's the only reason I'm in a house right now as I was almost kicked out of the house by my own mother.Play your cards smartly,don't just go all in.

• Brohoof 2