Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

DigiBrony wanting to die out of the Fandom

notten1

He's not leaving the fandom, just read his tumblr.  He's just changing how he is to present himself and his views upon aspects of the show and fandom as whole, as well as focus on other mediums that he is a fan of.

We have to remember his reviews, and ALL reviews of any media in and fandom, is subjective.  Everyone presents their own take on the same piece of media to which we, as viewers, can either disagree, agree, or see it as a simple piece of entertainment that may or may not have influence on how we see said media as a whole. 

He hasn't lost touch, he just has had a change of personal perspective. We will all go through that. In fact, even within this fandom, our perspective on FIM will change with time.  It's a part of maturing and growing as a person. We will all continue to change and grow our personal worldviews, knowledge, and opinions throughout our lives. DigiBrony is just one of the bigger names in the fandom where this change is evidently shown through the media he presents to the fanbase that follows him, and it's not just with his MLP reviews.

We shouldn't judge nor criticize him because he is taking a different path with this part of his life.

We can all agree no one is a fan of change (just look at what has happened to the medium that we fans of), but we have a choice of either accepting the change and taking it in strides, or shooting it down in a way that makes life harder for us to enjoy. A lot of things that humans are afraid of for change in their daily lives will not end the world, so why should so many treat it as such? 

In other words, let Digi do his thing....

• Brohoof 1

We can all agree no one is a fan of change (just look at what has happened to the medium that we fans of), but we have a choice of either accepting the change and taking it in strides, or shooting it down in a way that makes life harder for us to enjoy. 

I disagree, I love change and hate routines. :catface: Not a fan of this guys work in general, though and this just seems even more pretentious than usual. :mellow:

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I disagree, I love change and hate routines. :catface: Not a fan of this guys work in general, though and this just seems even more pretentious than usual. :mellow:

I can agree to that, but I was talking about changes that make our lives a bit more difficult in some aspect (believe me, routines are boring as can be, and for the most part, everybody likes good changes, but not bad)....

Yeah, Digi's work is kind've more blatant in a bit more negative tone, but I think that is a reflection upon how tired he is. This is fairly normal psychologically, and maybe in the future, he will revisit some of his more scrutinizing works and rework them with a more positive mindset (although I doubt that),  I just think that we shouldn't get all pissy and moany because the poor guy is worn out, whether we liked his works or not...

Edited by Treble Bolt

Eh, I liked him but never held in any particular high esteem or anything.  I'm not even sure when was the last time I saw one of his videos.

He's good but he's no BronyCurious. 

• Brohoof 1

As I said in my starting post, I was not mad or angry at his decisions at him wanting to quit, but I said I was Sad. Also it wasn't just sad, it was like he wanted to kill his channel. He says in his post that he wanted to make it in a way that dosen't seem pleasing and so it'll repel most of us. The thing is, I would've been ok if he'd just leave immediatly, but instead he wants to sour his image and make him, not small in size again, but now unpopular and infamous. Sure, I woulda been ok if he'd just kill the channel now, but he just wants to make us want to leave through repulsion...

As I said in my starting post, I was not mad or angry at his decisions at him wanting to quit, but I said I was Sad. Also it wasn't just sad, it was like he wanted to kill his channel. He says in his post that he wanted to make it in a way that dosen't seem pleasing and so it'll repel most of us. The thing is, I would've been ok if he'd just leave immediatly, but instead he wants to sour his image and make him, not small in size again, but now unpopular and infamous. Sure, I woulda been ok if he'd just kill the channel now, but he just wants to make us want to leave through repulsion...

You know he never said that is his intention and he actually wants to take the channel in another direction, right?  :wacko:

I hope I'm not being a bother to you DigiBrony fans, but I honestly never liked him. Like, never. Considering people go "gaga" over his My Little Review videos, it already tells me it's a bad thing to get caught up in. I'd prefer ILoveKimPossibleAlot over DigiBrony any day. But that doesn't mean you fans of him can stop drowning him in the fandom.  :muffins:

• Brohoof 3

I feel the same as your post so I feelt no need to copypasta it ^_^;

One Thing I have to add is that I hope he keeps enjoying the mlp series more now when he's quitting since I believe he being bored with analyzing it was a big part of why he was getting tired of mlp.

I'm sure he won't leave the fandom. He's just getting tired of analyzing.

It is a little sad to see Digibrony moving on from ponies. I remember when he started to gain popularity in early 2013 and he set off the entire analysis community and made it what it is 2day. 

It's hard to remember that back then, there weren't that many people who reviewed and analyzed the show. Now we have so many great reviewers thanks to Digibro like: SilverQuill, TBBBAP, and Tommy Oliver. 

I could tell from his recent infrequent video postings that he was starting to get tired of MLP. It's completely normal to feel burnt out, and I hope that he finds success and joy in whatever he decides to do in the future, whether or not it be about ponies or not :)

Digi's is only what 21-22? He became super popular very quickly, put out a video at least every week, and from what I've heard of his stuff (and by a comment he himself made) he is the type of person that just naturally is constantly wanting to analyse things ( a trait I have myself). I know if it were me, I'd have just burnt myself out: 1) from just the workload and 2 ) if you work solely on one subject so much, after a while you can just stop caring about it. If he had both paced himself and just taken brakes from MLP projects, maybe work on other stuff; he might not need to leave the fandom. He may not have been my taste in style of reviewing but he is quite intelligent and kept a high level of standards in terms of analysis. So for that I wish him all the best and am saddened by the way it's turned out for him..

I had my window small and just saw "Digibrony wanting to die".  Needless to say I thought this was going to be a much different topic...

Anyway, I think digibrony and really most of the people doing episode reviews tend to take things way too seriously for my taste... I think the problem is that in one breath, they talk about how people shouldn't take their opinions too seriously, and then they post videos with them screaming their opinions like nobody else in the world could possibly have a valid opinion that contradicts theirs.

IDK, I just wish people could state their opinion about an episode without trying to shove their way of looking at things down your throat...

Edit:

But I should add that I really wish Digibrony well in whatever he chooses to do... nobody should be doing something that puts them in a position where they're uncomfortable.

Edited by Simon
  • Brohoof 5

I'm sure he won't leave the fandom. He's just getting tired of analyzing.

Digi Said that he didn't want to be connected to the Fandom by anyway. That's why in his post he said that he wanted to cut ALL ties to anything that has to be with Ponies. Also, he said he wants to Analyse Anime instead, but instead of just switching, he wants to basically 'kick' everyone out that wanted to be there for his 'old' style. I get that vibe too, not just from the post.

I had my window small and just saw "Digibrony wanting to die".  Needless to say I thought this was going to be a much different topic...

Anyway, I think digibrony and really most of the people doing episode reviews tend to take things way too seriously for my taste... I think the problem is that in one breath, they talk about how people shouldn't take their opinions too seriously, and then they post videos with them screaming their opinions like nobody else in the world could possibly have a valid opinion that contradicts theirs.

IDK, I just wish people could state their opinion about an episode without trying to shove their way of looking at things down your throat...

Edit:

But I should add that I really wish Digibrony well in whatever he chooses to do... nobody should be doing something that puts them in a position where they're uncomfortable.

Well, it's kinda like bronies (In general) how many of us are obsessive fans that have entire houses full of toys, not much. Same thing with the fans that Digi has a problem with, well, a real problem. I don't think he likes attention and the 'praise' and taking anything he says as canon. And the guys that are obsessive Digi Fans, Even Headcanons. And that'll be bad because they say that to someone, then they don't agree, they learn and direct it to Digi. He gets that, and then directs his hate for that at his fans, see? 

Also, Simon, if you don't like 'over-serious' reviews, then either find it yourself or try to do it yourself, 'cause most are like that. Now, I don't mind Digi tryin' something else, it's just that, as I said again, he wants to kill the Bronies off his channel that are just there for his Pony Videos. I don't mind him doing it, but he's making it worse and ruining the popularity he's built himself up to. 

DigiBrony as you know is one of the lead analyists of the Brony Fandom. He is (was) highly revered as the best we had to offer in terms of pure analysis. Although, as he stated in his latest video, that he wanted to die out of the fandom completly and to not have a hand in anything. In his post on his Tumblr said (http://tinyurl.com/m3db6qb): "I’ve unfollowed a significant number of pony channels and blogs, and I’ve ceased to hold responsibilities within the fandom. I don’t want to write for any pony sites or be a part of any more large-scale pony projects anymore. I’ll still be finishing the Brony Quiz shows and the Elements of Brony series, but I won’t be getting more involved in the fandom." Of course he is entitled to his own opinion, but he is completly depriving the fandom of one of the best Analyists to boredom. Also: "I’ve grown to hate the way my videos are interacted with and perceived in the fandom." Wha... Dude, that is YouTube, and more importantly, part of a Fandom. You will get flak, but you most definetly get love too! Please post what you feel on the situation, I'm really sad about this, care to help?

"lead analysts"...It's a fandom, not a research focus group. And he's not depriving anyone of anything. Good lord, that couldn't sound more entitled and selfish if you were paid to make it sound more entitled and selfish. If he's bored of it, good for him. He has no obligation to keep providing content for anybody.

Edited by Koelath

Digi Said that he didn't want to be connected to the Fandom by anyway. That's why in his post he said that he wanted to cut ALL ties to anything that has to be with Ponies. Also, he said he wants to Analyse Anime instead, but instead of just switching, he wants to basically 'kick' everyone out that wanted to be there for his 'old' style. I get that vibe too, not just from the post.

Well, it's kinda like bronies (In general) how many of us are obsessive fans that have entire houses full of toys, not much. Same thing with the fans that Digi has a problem with, well, a real problem. I don't think he likes attention and the 'praise' and taking anything he says as canon. And the guys that are obsessive Digi Fans, Even Headcanons. And that'll be bad because they say that to someone, then they don't agree, they learn and direct it to Digi. He gets that, and then directs his hate for that at his fans, see? 

Also, Simon, if you don't like 'over-serious' reviews, then either find it yourself or try to do it yourself, 'cause most are like that. Now, I don't mind Digi tryin' something else, it's just that, as I said again, he wants to kill the Bronies off his channel that are just there for his Pony Videos. I don't mind him doing it, but he's making it worse and ruining the popularity he's built himself up to. 

If that's truly the case, I can see where you're coming from.

MANY of the content producers on TGWTG have changed gears multiple times or experimented(Spoony sadly going from long-winded Let's Play style reviews to more general over-views and kind of shifting away from old/weird and obscure stuff is a good example), but they don't try to actively push away or alienate the fans that liked their old stuff.   

If he is bored of the fandom or if he wants to move on and do something new, then he could move on. Since he wants to move away from ponies to analyze something else, then that's good for him.

Just saw one of his newer videos...LOL! He changed his OC to some 2edgy4me depressed drawing who's smoking a cigarette. For some reason there's some ridiculous jazz music playing in the background and he's absolutely all over the place in terms of the content of the "review". I don't know what he's trying to accomplish with this new setup but its just making him look foolish

• Brohoof 2

See, I don't have a problem with people taking the show too seriously in a review.  My problem is when you post reviews screaming about how horrible something is in an episode and clearly making the review like your opinion is the only valid one and anybody who doesn't agree is a complete idiot, and then in the next breath saying that everybody's entitled to their own opinion.  Either make a biased review where you try and persuade people to agree with you, or make an unbiased one showing different ways of looking at things, but you can't have it both ways. 

And if he wants to switch to something other than ponies, that's fine, but he shouldn't expect many people to follow him.  I don't get why so many people expect all their fans to stay when they switch away from ponies.  The thing is, I'm a fan of MLP, not him.  Why would I care in the slightest bit about his opinion on anime when I don't watch anime?  So if he wants to switch, that's fine, but he's going to lose almost all of his viewers.  The bottom line is that he's not making original content like animators or musicians, so we have to be fans of what he's reviewing to care about what he's saying, and if you switch away from what we're fans of, we're probably not going to watch.  I think he's trying to liken him switching to anime reviews to a musician writing an original song, but it's just not the same thing.

Add:

Yeeeah, I just watched his Somepony To Watch Over Me review with the new style... he couldn't have possibly made the format any worse for me.  He's still giving his opinions on the show (i.e. saying that the repetitive dialogue wanted to make him drill a hole in his head), he's just doing it in an idiotic and immature way... and if he thought these videos were going to be somehow more advanced than his others, he was sadly mistaken... I mean his old snowdrop video went into a detailed analysis of animation styles, and now he's spending 2 minutes in a 5 minute video talking about the history of boots so he can say Applejack looks hot...

And the smoking is not for me... I'm sorry but I hate smoking, and I really don't want to sit and watch random clips of him lighting up in the video.  It's not necessary, it's just sad and pathetic...

Anyway, I think his channel has died for me, and I probably won't be returning... if I want to watch someone light up and go on a long rant about something I don't care about, I'll just go to a bus stop... 

Edited by Simon
  • Brohoof 6

See, I don't have a problem with people taking the show too seriously in a review.  My problem is when you post reviews screaming about how horrible something is in an episode and clearly making the review like your opinion is the only valid one and anybody who doesn't agree is a complete idiot, and then in the next breath saying that everybody's entitled to their own opinion.  Either make a biased review where you try and persuade people to agree with you, or make an unbiased one showing different ways of looking at things, but you can't have it both ways. 

And if he wants to switch to something other than ponies, that's fine, but he shouldn't expect many people to follow him.  I don't get why so many people expect all their fans to stay when they switch away from ponies.  The thing is, I'm a fan of MLP, not him.  Why would I care in the slightest bit about his opinion on anime when I don't watch anime?  So if he wants to switch, that's fine, but he's going to lose almost all of his viewers.  The bottom line is that he's not making original content like animators or musicians, so we have to be fans of what he's reviewing to care about what he's saying, and if you switch away from what we're fans of, we're probably not going to watch.  I think he's trying to liken him switching to anime reviews to a musician writing an original song, but it's just not the same thing.

I think that's a good point to. With someone like TheLivingTombstone he was making music that appealed to both people in and out of the fandom, and the people that liked his style and sound will continue to like him. Digi built his following doing something that only appealed to one demographic and now he's going to have to start all over again from scratch(and probably end up in the same place because the anime fandom is no better than us, maybe even worse)

Digi can do what he wants to do; I've got no problem with it. I can see where he's coming from, certainly.

Personally, I love his new video style, but that may be just me.

• Brohoof 1

I don't care one way or another, if he wants to go then so be it. I'm not loosing any sleep over it.

While I had valued his opinion at first, his vids were getting to be one bitch session after another.

Sure, season 4 hasn't been all that great as the hype (but that's why they call it hype) but it hasn't been all that bad either. But it got to the point where I just stopped watching his stuf altogether

And its the same with most of the analizers, so its not just him. You like an episode, you don't like an episode, you don't need someone else telling you that. Most of you are grown up enough to make up your own minds on what to like or not. You didn't need an analizer to get into this fandom.

I don't care if every episode haddn't lived up to their standard, I've enjoyed the hell out of every one of them. So if Digi or any of them want to leave the fandom, I'm not gunna stand in the way... just don't let the barn door hit ya in the tail on the way out

Edited by Argumedies
  • Brohoof 4

Am I the only one here who finds it ironic that so many people have criticised Digibrony for being too nostalgic or holding older episodes in higher regard, only to then wail "I liked his older style better!"

I think Digibrony is totally free to do whatever he wants to do. Honestly, I think he feels like he's been put on the spot too much, thanks in part to his overwhelming popularity. He went to great lengths to defend the writers and the show on multiple occasions, garnered applause from bronies and even some of the show writers for doing so, and now he's come to the conclusion that he doesn't think the show is all that great anymore and all that praise has fizzled out.

I don't quite get why there's been so much fuss over his new OC smoking and looking depressed. Maybe it's because I always hated his old OC and prefer his new one, but I fail to see why people get so hung up on it. And you now, it's weird. I've never liked Digibrony because I always thought he was way too kind and overlooked flaws far too much. Now I hear he's gotten a lot harsher and I feel like I'd actually want to watch his videos, It's a shame, I guess.

• Brohoof 3

Am I the only one here who finds it ironic that so many people have criticised Digibrony for being too nostalgic or holding older episodes in higher regard, only to then wail "I liked his older style better!"

No, there's noting wrong with "wanting" the show to be that way and I agree that it should.... but its the proverbial "want" in one hand...

Its not that way, has never been that way and isn't going to be that way any time soon.

But that doesn't make it bad because its not. I felt that Digi was going too far into what it should be and was forgetting how it is and his depression was showing in his videos. And that's what was getting me irritated.

Theres nothing wrong with taking a new direction but it was becoming more like a brat tantrum, not so much in the verbal sense, but attitude and demeanor.