Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

DigiBrony wanting to die out of the Fandom

notten1

DigiBrony as you know is one of the lead analyists of the Brony Fandom. He is (was) highly revered as the best we had to offer in terms of pure analysis. Although, as he stated in his latest video, that he wanted to die out of the fandom completly and to not have a hand in anything. In his post on his Tumblr said (http://tinyurl.com/m3db6qb): "I’ve unfollowed a significant number of pony channels and blogs, and I’ve ceased to hold responsibilities within the fandom. I don’t want to write for any pony sites or be a part of any more large-scale pony projects anymore. I’ll still be finishing the Brony Quiz shows and the Elements of Brony series, but I won’t be getting more involved in the fandom." Of course he is entitled to his own opinion, but he is completly depriving the fandom of one of the best Analyists to boredom. Also: "I’ve grown to hate the way my videos are interacted with and perceived in the fandom." Wha... Dude, that is YouTube, and more importantly, part of a Fandom. You will get flak, but you most definetly get love too! Please post what you feel on the situation, I'm really sad about this, care to help?

Well I did stop watching his videos lately, mainly because they became less thorough the more he did. I'm glad that he decided to quit something if he didn't want to do it. There's BronyCurious still. Right?

• 1 month later...
(edited)

Cast Spell: Resurrect

Don't see why I should make a new thread to ask, but for those who enjoy Digi the most, why so exactly?

Edited by K.K. Slider

I've never cared for the guy or for in-depth analysis of the show. I find it much more enjoyable to just watch it and form my own thoughts on it/why I like it in the first place. I think it's a bit silly to put Digi so high up on a pedestal as though he's the ultimate authority on nitpicking. I don't think the fandom has lost anything by him calling it quits; IMO he takes the show far too seriously and it's destroyed his ability to enjoy it.

Dissecting a show is like dissecting a frog: you understand how it works better, but it dies in the process.

• Brohoof 6

(edited)

I'm not a huge watcher of deep-analysist videos (I prefer to just give my opinion of the episode in my blogs) but honestly, out of the ones I've watched, I think he's one of the worst. Honestly, he doesn't even sound like he's trying. He sounds more like "This episode is uh.. good becuase uh.. it stars Applejack and uh... can I just get my views, now?"

So, I'm not really affected by this, but fans of him, don't be to sad, there's plenty of other deep analysist.

Edited by Peter Sam
  • Brohoof 1

Providing verbal analysis in the form he does requires something he doesn't have - charisma.

He sounds bored. He seems tired. He doesn't want to be here, just give him his views so he can be famous because he knows big words. That's his thing - he doesn't care, and if he does, he does a damn good job of hiding it by sounding like he's at the DMV when he gives his analysis. No charisma.

One of the things that irks most is the fact that he's so bias, as well - if you're going to be THAT type of analyst, you need to call things strictly down the middle. I don't, my opinions are very subjective. Why? Because I analyze for fun - it's not something I plan on being super serious about, just something I enjoy doing as well as I like discussing things and Rarity. But mostly Rarity :D

Digi, however, is a different type of analyst - one who points out what he perceives to be the high points and the low points of the show in order to help further the viewer's experience and give them a better understanding of what's going on. He fails in that regard by injecting too much of what his own personal views in there - while I have no qualms about him having a best pony and bias, he needs to put forth effort on remaining impartial and objective. Beginning the review of "Rarity Takes Manehattan" by trying to find ways to call her actions "selfish" and helping Kimi Sparkles come up with tasteless jokes that are demeaning to her character isn't something an analyst with his ranking should be doing, as it can be damaging to fans. That sort of thing is something that should NEVER be found in any sort of analyst, not just one for MLP:FiM. Keep in mind he makes no qualms about loving AJ and Pinkie, too - he needs to look past his personal preference in order to provide an optimal, impartial analysis for his viewers to help give them a second look about show featuring the ponies they love - something he clearly has no interest in doing.

He comes across as smug, bored, and he obviously doesn't want to be there, and his behavior while he conducts his analysis are something that's ultimately a detriment to the fandom and the fans found in it. 

So, if he wants to leave, we shouldn't try and stop him. He's doing much more harm than good at this point, and things would be much better if the harm he's causing were to cease.

• Brohoof 6

Good. i hated him from the start, the sound of his,monotone, narcissistic voice drone on about every little detail about the show just made me want to shove nails into my eyes and then shoot myself.  I also hate the look of his improved OC. Jesus. 

• Brohoof 5

(edited)

Poor Digi. I don't blame him, he's been getting a lot of hate lately because people don't like his opinions. Funny enough, I often found myself nodding in agreement with many of his "negative' reviews. I'm not even sure anymore if he's the one whose changed, if the show itself has changed, or if the fandom has changed. Whatever it is, I feel that same disturbance that he's felt. I don't even think its that he's over-analyzing it, some things in this season have just felt wrong, and I was never able to explain or pinpoint the source of the thing that had bothered me until watching some of his reviews.

Edit: Some of yall are way too harsh on him. He didn't start to become an "elitist prick" until this season. I mean, just watch his old episodes. He always used to have a cheerful outlook on the fandom and the show, and would bring out the best in both without ever coming off as arrogant or smug. He used to overlook flaws and just give the show nothing but praise. I also wonder if there's a relationship between the time that individual bronies have been part of the fandom, and the amount of satisfaction vs. disatisfaction one feels. I think some long-term bronies are finally starting to become jaded (myself and digi included) Don't get me wrong, I'm not leaving cause I like MLP, but I'll openly admit there are things that I DON'T like.

Edited by crazitaco
  • Brohoof 2

If he wants to quit then fine, no one's forcing him to stay. I just hope he doesn't go all CR on it

• Brohoof 3

CR? What's that mean? Was that like, an analyst who left the fandom in a violent form or something? :huh:

Grabbing my response from another place I posted in

Ever since A Canterlot Wedding, he's been really butthurt over Cadance and Shining Armor, and after S3 he pretty much swore off the show. Despite that he's constantly bashing the fanbase and the show and just being an overall little bitch who just can't get over it 
  • Brohoof 4

(edited)

Grabbing my response from another place I posted in

To top it all off, I heard he STILL bashes newer episodes without even watching them first. At least it's not like Byter where he bashes almost every single episode after season 2. It's ok to have opinions, but when you hate almost every new episode, why haven't you left the fandom yet?

Edited by ChikoritaBrony
  • Brohoof 3

To top it all off, I heard he STILL bashes newer episodes without even watching them first. At least it's not like Byter where he bashes almost every single episode after season 2. It's ok to have opinions, but when you hate almost every new episode, why haven't you left the fandom yet?

Okay: If you bash episodes without watching them first, you're no longer doing reviews. You're being a speculator, and an overly pessimistic one at that. Which is a surefire sign that your ego is so overblown, you can't tell your opinion from actual analysis anymore.

I never really knew who Digibrony was before hearing about this, but if he pulls this kind of crap, then good riddance. The fandom is better off without him. 

• Brohoof 3

Okay: If you bash episodes without watching them first, you're no longer doing reviews. You're being a speculator, and an overly pessimistic one at that. Which is a surefire sign that your ego is so overblown, you can't tell your opinion from actual analysis anymore.

I never really knew who Digibrony was before hearing about this, but if he pulls this kind of crap, then good riddance. The fandom is better off without him. 

Actually I was talking about CR who does that but I do agree with what you said.

(edited)

Actually I was talking about CR who does that but I do agree with what you said.

Oh, my bad. XD I'm not at all into the MLP analysis scene; even when it's well done, it strikes me as pretentious and unnecessary.

Come to think of it, I don't like reviews of just about anything. MLP, movies, video games, whatever! I'd rather not be told by someone I've never met what I should and shouldn't enjoy.

Edited by Graveyard Duck
  • Brohoof 4

(edited)

Digi was the first MLP Analyst I've ever come across. His videos were part of what got me into the brony fandom, so it sucks to hear he's likely done with his pony videos. He's always made some pretty good points, and I agree with him most of the time. As apparent from my first post in this thread, I hated the Season 4 Diary originally, but after a few installments I actually prefer it compared to his original style. I like how he relates the episodes to his own experiences (which I do as well). It's a very creative and unique idea.

In a way, it's sort of depressing. Combined with the general negativity surrounding Season 4 from some fans, Digi's absence from the fandom scene makes my interest in MLP diminish more and more. It makes me think of when I first discovered the fandom. Everything was interesting, and there were mountains of content to discover. That initial feeling eventually wares off and you start to look at the show differently. Maybe he (and others who have bailed on the community) feels the same way.

Edited by Rivendare

I enjoy (or enjoyed) DigiBrony's analysis, even if I didn't always agree with him. But that's the mark of a good analyst: to bring points up for discussion and highlight what might be contrasting opinions. He had his biases -- but he was upfront about them, and that mark of sincerity is often lacking in reviewers who decide barking at the camera and being extremely vulgar alone counts for being entertaining. DigiBrony often avoided the usual method of accentuating the negatives for their own sake; and often he could speak very highly of episodes and content otherwise overlooked.

I'm sorry that he appears to have decided to disengage from the fandom and/or stop making MLP analysis videos. I will not, however, miss his Season 4 "journals." In striving to change his approach by sounding "bored" and, by some strange extension, more insightful, he come off as a college freshman who decides to act like he's part of the avant-garde for the postmodern movement. I sometimes suspect DigiBrony was just doing it for shits and giggles as a way to alienate the audience in something of a satirical manner; but I have the distinct impression he spent way too much time and energy on the endeavor purely for troll value. Sitting around and smoking does not, contrary to popular belief, make meandering through existential woes necessarily deeper. I'm glad he at least used his traditional style for analyzing the season finale.

(Who knows? Maybe "It Ain't Easy Being Breezies" cracked his psyche.)

In the end, I wish DigiBrony's journey through MLP analysis hadn't suffered through such an inane end.

• Brohoof 1

I will not, however, miss his Season 4 "journals."

A lot of people say this, but I think people are missing the point of the Season 4 Diary. It isn't really an analysis of the show from a critic's perspective. Instead, it's more of a personal reflection on how the episode being discussed connects with him, and how it relates to his own experiences. I don't think he was trying to act like he's part of some movement, or that he's trying to pretend to be ultra-insightful or any thing like that. Smoking is something that also relates to him on a personal level so it fits with the theme of the Season 4 Diary, thus he changed his OC to reflect that. Personally, I enjoyed it even moreso than his normal reviews. I critique media similarly to how he does in the Season 4 Diary, and in my opinion it's a refreshing and creative idea

A lot of people say this, but I think people are missing the point of the Season 4 Diary. It isn't really an analysis of the show from a critic's perspective. Instead, it's more of a personal reflection on how the episode being discussed connects with him, and how it relates to his own experiences. I don't think he was trying to act like he's part of some movement, or that he's trying to pretend to be ultra-insightful or any thing like that. Smoking is something that also relates to him on a personal level so it fits with the theme of the Season 4 Diary, thus he changed his OC to reflect that. Personally, I enjoyed it even moreso than his normal reviews. I critique media similarly to how he does in the Season 4 Diary, and in my opinion it's a refreshing and creative idea

Look, there's being impenetrable and then there's being impenetrable. I'd like to think of myself as a pretty smart guy who enjoys new tackling new ideas, but I considered the Season 4 Diary business unapproachable even as an intellectual exercise. Similarly, aesthetics count for something: when I see someone dragging on a cigarette and pushing for some sort of personal "depth" because they're "bored" with the usual routine, my first impulse is to react in the negative. I recognize DigiBrony is intelligent -- yet what he did came off like a mocking attempt to channel intelligent behavior and discussion.

The bottom line, however, is that I don't watch MLP analysis videos to listen to ten minutes of someone recounting their childhood in some sort of strange whimsy. Don't make the whole damn video about the Breezies reminding you about moving away from your parents or some such thing. Although it may be a unique approach in a different context, I'm not invited into the discussion of DigiBrony's personal life (i.e., I am not speaking with him about his experience). As the audience member, I ultimately end up being saddled with baggage.

• Brohoof 4

Combined with the general negativity surrounding Season 4 from some fans

Season 4 got an incredible reception from the fandom - the ones that were vocally negative about it in the sense you're implying are a minority, beyond a shadow of a doubt. People aren't always going to think the same, and that's beautiful, in my opinion. Of course, the beauty of opinions can also be found in discussing those opinions and letting yourself grow as human being by being open to new opportunities in life. This "General Negativity" appears to be a generalization of the fandom you're making based on your own feelings about things.

Look at the MLP Forums discussion topic for Rainbow Falls - better yet, look at the poll. This episode was widely panned by critics, but look at the amount of people who voted "Loved it." I don't know of any way to explain to you that this "general negativity" is something that doesn't exist. An episode is widely hated by critics, and loved by the fandom.

You're doing this to yourself, because I assure you this "general negativity" you speak of is something that doesn't exist. Is there negativity? Of course. Is it enough to base a fandom wide generalization off of? Not even close. This is ultimately your thing, mate - the fandom is doing just fine, and I don't know of any better way to explain it to you.

• Brohoof 6

He did what he had to do, and I respect him for that. I enjoyed his analysis, and it has done it's duty by both entertaining fans, but also inspiring others to take his place as MLP analysts. It may be sad that he is departing, but let us not forget that there are still many other great mlp analysts out there that we can watch instead, many of them having been inspired or influenced by digibrony.

• Brohoof 1

Exactly.

Alot of people where happy with season 4.

It's that very VERY vocal minority that ruins it for everyone by taking a problem, and scratching it vigorously until it becomes a giant red sore.

• Brohoof 6