Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Your family's views

Sanic Screwdriver

My parents don't bother me on the subject, so I don't bring it up, parents don't bring it up, and everyone's happy. My family doesn't really care, but it's awkward conversation since they can't relate to it.

Well let's see....my Older sister's won't care although the younger of the two thinks it's weird that I wear Brony clothes. My younger sister is fine with it although she jokingly said "what's next Alex are you going to tell me you're gay?" But that's not really her viewpoint on Bronies. My Mother....well she thinks it's weird and there's the occasional teasing. But it's not such a big deal. As for my older brother and dad? The day they find out I'm a Brony is the day I seriously consider stopping socializing with them, they're really old school "macho" kinds of guys, mechanics and hard labor "manly men", they already tease me about not working on cars and for playing musical instruments instead of playing sports and they will proceed to ignorantly haze me to a bloody pulp until there is nothing left of my self esteem based solely on the fact that they consider MLP a girl show. 

And I know it's off topic but my friends are similar, two of them accept it, one kind of accepts it but thinks it's weird (he's actually planning on watching the show so he's most likely a closet Brony like I used to be), and one is a MAD HATER, like crazy hater....kind of makes me not want to talk to him sometimes since he judges us based off of the fact that it's a girl show and no other reason. Ah well, he's about to have a daughter so we'll see what happens when she gets MLP dvd's from me on her first birthday XD lol.

My family would be absolutely embarrassed and probably hate me for watching a show which they assume is intended for 6 year old girls. It's lowered my self-confidence by a massive chunk and I really want to keep it a secret from them for as long as possible. And I just overheard a conversation between my parents, and they said that it's easy to laugh at me. My parents hate me, I swear. Why can't we all just be accepting of each others differences?

My family would be absolutely embarrassed and probably hate me for watching a show which they assume is intended for 6 year old girls. It's lowered my self-confidence by a massive chunk and I really want to keep it a secret from them for as long as possible. And I just overheard a conversation between my parents, and they said that it's easy to laugh at me. My parents hate me, I swear. Why can't we all just be accepting of each others differences?

I know what you mean about it lowering your self confidence. Back when I was keeping it a secret I felt really kind of....well depressed isn't the right word...we'll go with down. I was feeling really down and after a few months of that I felt like I had to get it off my chest and tell someone so I ended up telling my sister first, didn't go horribly even though she though it was weird but I just explained to her it's no weirder than her fascination with Wrestling. But even now  after virtually my entire family knows and accepts it the idea of my brother or dad finding out is absolutely crushing for me. And I hate that I feel like that.  In a perfect world everyone would just accept everyone's differences but that's not the world we live in :(  Hang in there, you're not alone.

• Brohoof 1

I know what you mean about it lowering your self confidence. Back when I was keeping it a secret I felt really kind of....well depressed isn't the right word...we'll go with down. I was feeling really down and after a few months of that I felt like I had to get it off my chest and tell someone so I ended up telling my sister first, didn't go horribly even though she though it was weird but I just explained to her it's no weirder than her fascination with Wrestling. But even now  after virtually my entire family knows and accepts it the idea of my brother or dad finding out is absolutely crushing for me. And I hate that I feel like that.  In a perfect world everyone would just accept everyone's differences but that's not the world we live in :(  Hang in there, you're not alone.

This post just made me feel a million times better. If I could hug you over the internet right now, I would. Wait, I CAN! *Internet hug*

It's a really good feeling to know you aren't alone, that people share the same issue with you. :D

My younger sister nags me about, she is always making jokes about it. My mom only found out recently due to my sister and her friend telling her. I wasn't there to see her reaction but I don't think she was pleased with me watching it. My dad doesn't know and that is probably for the best

This post just made me feel a million times better. If I could hug you over the internet right now, I would. Wait, I CAN! *Internet hug*

It's a really good feeling to know you aren't alone, that people share the same issue with you. :D

Lol *Internet Hug*  It's one of the things I love about the brony community, we all have similar experiences and are able to support each other when we need it, it's nice to have a place where you're accepted for who you are.

Let's start off with my sister!

My younger sister (she's about 13 right now) watches the show with me from time to time. First off, she thought that it was really girly especially for a person like me because when people look at me IRL, I look like a real computer geek and super obsessed gamer. I don't look like some person who was locked in his room playing games all day though! ... when it is actually true. Ahehehehe (in my view) After I convinced her on Christmas day to watch it, she has been opening up and she actually likes the show now. 

My dad who I just told yesterday about my brony-ness was open-minded at first as to why I liked this show. I told him why and all of that, but he wouldn't believe me that there were people much older than me (I'm 16) and watches the show. He watched a couple minutes of Lesson Zero but then he closed the video player before he got to the good parts. We were only at the beginning and I saw that his face was in shock and said that it was so girly and gay to me. He isn't taking it against me though. He still accepts the fact that I like the show and all of that.

My mom... to put it simply, she didn't care one bit. I watched an episode right beside her, she didn't even ask why. 

• Brohoof 1