Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Do you love your family?

Muffinnz

I don't know, really. Looking at blood relatives, I certainly love my grandma and sister. My mom died twelve years ago, but I did love her, too. Aunts, uncles, cousins...I like them, but they're more acquaintances than anything else. My dad's not my biological dad, so he isn't technically speaking a relative, but I do love him. My stepdad as well.

Having said all this, though...in general, my friends are far more important to me than my family, so while I do love my family in a way, I love my friends more.

I say I like my famliy, nothing perfect. I still with my mum and brother and they can be annoying specially my brother. I got two half sisters and half brother, also nepthews and nieces, all married and some have kids expect one of my nethpew and niece. My half sister in law was annoying and can't stand her sometimes, when my mum had problem with a doctor and half sister in law say something nice of her doctor which frusrated me and also been critics my hometown and compare to her. And she spend most time at home cos she disable. My dad past away last year, and had dementia since 2019, but before dementia also, he can be diffcult person to live with, I make list of good and bad things of him and long list of bad. Also have relatives in the Philippines (my mum's side) and maybe I had some from my dad side I never know. Famliy members I like are my two cats, pets count as famliy members.

• 5 months later...
(edited)

What part of the family? Because "my" family never belonged to this civilized part of the world. We are more savage, naturally. Primitive, if you will.

But this is the price of civilization and progress. My uncle is creepy as ****. My mother is insane. And I am someone who wants to kill, hack or/and screw things all the time. Also, I have a thing for my mother. I always had it. And she has it for me, too. But it is buried so deep within herself, that she just cries and is depressed most of the time. Truth for both of us.

But we "understand" science. I understand, just enough. I am "leaving" this sh*t show. Because you cannot change someone's heart.

So, we are snakes raised by lions. And now that we have killed the adoptive lions, we have no use for these costumes. I wanted my grandfather to feel what it was like to be caged in a foreign place. Trapped. And he did feel it. And it was very painful, apparently. Considering how the old lion started throwing himself against everything in the house, and went insane before he died. Sorry, old man... it wasn't my intention. But to see my mother in the dark like that had a price.

Still, I respected him. Unlike my mother who still cannot place the origin of this "hatred" she feels against the entire family. But she is very denaturalized and dissociated because she was lied to her whole life, and doesn't understand how different we were from the rest of the "family" to begin with. And I tried to put her back together, but the damage was already done. She was torn apart, so I tore them all apart. That is the actual reason behind my actions, even subconsciously.
That is also the reason my mother hated her mother so much. Also, my grandmother always said her daughter was not hers. Actually, when I look at the picture of my grandparents when they were married. It is almost like my grandmother is laughing at me from beyond the grave. I hope she was laughing at the hospital, too. Because the most likely scenario is that my mother and uncle were both adopted. But they never questioned that, either.

Still, I am proud of them. The pride is dead. And soon we will die, too. Like most animals outside their natural habitat. Not so bad, really. Considering I was blinded.

Even then, the old man put me in check with his actions. So, I owe him this much. Meaning, I am biting my own tail, now. Because my mother is the only woman I have ever loved. And that is never going to change.

Edited by They call me Loyalty

I do love them, a lot.
They gave me trauma but I forgave because I learned to accept things ; there's only one thing i struggle with heavily and that is what my brother said but even so, i don't hate him. Infact, i just want us to be close rather than the *avoids all contact at all cost.*
I'm a scarred person but it doesn't mean the love is gone.

I don't really have a family anymore. Only ones I were close to were my parents.

Only actual relative I'm in contact with is my half-brother who I live with. But that is a pretty strange relationship considering that we don't actually talk. Not out of a grudge or dislike for eachother. We just don't have anything in common or any reason to talk to eachother. No different from two strangers sharing a house and just going about their business. Any conversation I do try to start up pretty much just dies a natural death within the space of a couple of minutes.

The guy was a total condescending dick to me while we were growing up. Didn't change much either during my early adulthood. I care about him, but I wouldn't call it love in a family sense. I mean once I part ways with him someday, I doubt I'll ever see him again. I mean, I have more words of conversation with the cashier around the shop while paying for my groceries than I do with my brother. :confused:

As for my parents. I do believe I love them, even though they are gone now. But at the same time, I do carry a degree of resentment towards some stuff and attitudes that they have shown me in the past. I know my dad loved me. And I like to think that my mum did in her own way, but looking back, there was a certain darkness about my mother towards me that makes me question a lot of things. She could be a condescending and controlling person. During my teenage years, she would rifle through my room and thought I never knew about it. Witnessed her twice while she thought I was sleeping. Certain things also went missing. She would lie to me about specific events from the past and try to gaslight me about other things.

I believe my dad was the only normal one who was most like family. He might not have been perfect. But I know he cared about me. Even if he didn't take my problems seriously and at times sided with my mother on certain issues where I needed him to be an ally.

I always try to take the good with the bad. So I do love my family in that way. But if I'm being honest, I could really have done with a family where the love I feel was more warm and heartfelt. Rather than what it is I currently feel towards them.

Complex issue.

I usually avoid talking about my family and feel uncomfortable when somepony ask me about it because I didn't have a positive experience with my mother. To me, being close to their parents is kind of only possible in TV shows. I just can't believe such relationships exist even if I know it does.

However, I consider @Princess Silky as my sister and I know she feels the same! So if our relationship counts, then I would say that I wouldn't exchange her for anypony! Not even being the sister of Luna would make me happier! Well, maybe if I could be the sister of boths... :ooh:

37 minutes ago, Shiny Silvermoon said:

I usually avoid talking about my family and feel uncomfortable when somepony ask me about it because I didn't have a positive experience with my mother. To me, being close to their parents is kind of only possible in TV shows. I just can't believe such relationships exist even if I know it does.

However, I consider @Princess Silky as my sister and I know she feels the same! So if our relationship counts, then I would say that I wouldn't exchange her for anypony! Not even being the sister of Luna would make me happier! Well, maybe if I could be the sister of boths... :ooh:

I'm gonna second this completely and say that having you as a sister has been a healing experience as well as a lovely honor. You will always have that sisterly support from me and I look forward to the many years of our friendship as we blossom together ;~;

Moments ago, Princess Silky said:

I'm gonna second this completely and say that having you as a sister has been a healing experience as well as a lovely honor. You will always have that sisterly support from me and I look forward to the many years of our friendship as we blossom together ;~;

There is only one proper repply for this : Yay!~ :fluttershy:

Truthfully, I have some complicated feelings towards my family, but that's due to some things from the past. I still love them though and I'm very grateful for them now. :rarity:

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm I don’t know. I just hope whatever I feel for them is good and not bad.