Pony Life Expectancy

Bendy

What do you think the average pony life expectancy is?

I reckon it's about the same as us Humans; due to the fact they are sapient, have advance medical science and magic.

The same goes for Griffons and other sapient races that have advance medical science.

Edited by Rush

Since it is a cartoon show and all I have no clue and I don't think they have ever mentioned it in the show either.

Quite true.

So I guess I will just go on real life facts. Between 35-40 years is what I found out just by googling it. 

Yes, but that's what the average Human life expectancy was without medical science. In fact you were lucky to even reach 30.

I think it's hard to say for magical ponies. 

From what I've looked up, if we did apply our world's standard then . . .

A.J, Pinkie Pie - 25 to 30 years

Rainbow, Fluttershy - 500 year

Twilight, Rarity - 1000 years

Things would truly be a lot more depressing. I'd like to say that all the major characters (including Spike) live for about the same amount of time.

(edited)

Spike as a dragon I say can live for thousands of years.

All Ponies may have a life expectancy of 80, but may even be known to live to 100 and a bit beyond like us Humans.

Alicorns? May be Immortal or just live for a very long time.

Draconequus like Discord, quite possibly immortal.

Evil Ponies like King Sombra, quite possibly immortal.

Edited by Rush

Well, if we knew how long a moon is in the mlp universe, then we'll be a bit closer to understanding because according to Apple Family Reunion, the last family reunion Apple Jack was at she was a baby, so we know she's a 100 moons, give or take. And we know that the others are younger than her. While this won't give us the life span, but if we know how old a young adult is for a pony (which is around the age area the mane six are), then it would give us a better sense of the length of their life cycle. Or perhaps how long Ponyville's been around, which will tell us how long Granny Smith has been around, and we can get a sense at how long it takes to reach the end of their life span (at least for Earth ponies).

I know Princess Celestia is around a thousand years. Since Princess Luna's aging seemed to have been frozen by turning evil (judging by how short she was compared to Celestia after Nightmare Moon was stopped), I think it's not off to assume that Celestia and Luna were quite young when they had to deal with Discord, King Sombra, and all that stuff. However, now it seems Celestia is getting weak. Maybe raising the sun takes too much out of her, but it seems she avoids using magic if possible and when she does, she's quickly defeated. While the thing with Nightmare Moon could have just been a hesitation about attacking her sister, but when Queen Chrysalis attacked her, Celestia could barely offer her a challenge. It's clear that Celestia was quite powerful when she was younger. She fought her own battles and managed to raise the sun and the moon for a thousand years, but maybe she's just too old to keep going. I think it's possible that at just over a thousand years is close to the end of an alicorn's lifespan.

I know a thousand years is enough time for events to fall into barely remembered stories, so I'm guessing most ponies don't live much longer than 100 years.

• Brohoof 1

Granny smith is old as hell and is also an earth pony. According to Twilight in the Winter Wrap Up episode, Ponyville was founded hundreds of years ago. and according to granny smith in the episode Family appreciation day she was there when Ponyville was founded so you have to assume that earth ponys can live for hundreds of years.  

Well, if we knew how long a moon is in the mlp universe, then we'll be a bit closer to understanding because according to Apple Family Reunion, the last family reunion Apple Jack was at she was a baby, so we know she's a 100 moons, give or take. And we know that the others are younger than her.

^ I don't know how Applejack's older than the other mane 6.

Anyhow, the thing is the last apple family reunion was more recent than that: it was during the plot episode.  And even if some fans don't want to include this, we know from tradition, that all the Apples take a photo in front of the barn.  In Ganny Smith's album, there's a group photo of a grown Applejack, with Applebloom, at a reunion.  So a hundred moons could be 100 days, or moon cycles.

Granny smith is old as hell and is also an earth pony. According to Twilight in the Winter Wrap Up episode, Ponyville was founded hundreds of years ago. and according to granny smith in the episode Family appreciation day she was there when Ponyville was founded so you have to assume that earth ponys can live for hundreds of years.  

Maybe that was error in canon? Perhaps it's just a 100 hundred years they live to.

Nice theory though, one for the fan fiction writers. XD

• Brohoof 1

Maybe that was error in canon? Perhaps it's just a 100 hundred years they live to.

Nice theory though, one for the fan fiction writers. XD

Could be an error (probably is an error) but there is nothing to prove it wrong until we see a grave stone with dates on it or we are given more to work with, So far we have managed to establish that earth pony life expectancy is anything from 30 to about 500  and that celestia is more then 1000 both of witch are pretty vague and don't answer the original question. If nothing else it dose spark a very interesting discussion.

^ One thing that helps this along is that when Applejack was a filly, Graany Smith looked no younger.  Close to a year has passed since Twilight came Ponyvile, and Applebloom is still not anything close to an adult, so little pony growth rates aren't rapid in this world.

• Brohoof 1

That's true. Ponyville has been around for hundreds of years, so that does mean that Granny Smith is hundreds of years old. But then how is it that so many legends are forgotten? I can get how the new generation doesn't know about them, but how is it that Nightmare moon took every pony by surprise? It would have barely been a few generations since Discord, Nightmare Moon and all of that. I get that a thousand years is a long time even for something that lives so long, but you'd think that this information would be in history books as fact rather as legend or old mare's tales.