Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv The Anime Club

PonyEcho

I've yet to finish Baccano. I got to like episode 10 or 11 so I was almost done with it but it is a WILD ride and a lot of fun. All of the characters are lovable, even the psychos like the guy in the white suit.

Definitely enjoying Gurren Lagann. It's got such a perfect mix of comedy to action. Kamina is a freakin' badass when he's not being a dumbass.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Just a question for you all, are you watching Baccano in dub or sub? What do you guys think I should watch it in, I am watching it in dubs at the moment. 

DUB, DUB WATCH IT IN THE DUB.

the sub is very very good there are alot of talented people in it but the dub is even better because Baccano is set in Chicago and they hit that prohibition era feel perfectly and the dub hits that perfectly.

so yeah why the sub is good the dub is better

Edited by PonyEcho
  • Brohoof 2

DUB, DUB WATCH IT IN THE DUB.

the sub is very very good there are alot of talented people in it but the dub is even better because Baccano is set in Chicago and they hit that prohibition era feel perfectly and the dub hits that perfectly.

so yeah why the sub is good the dub is better

Thanks for letting me Know.Oh and another thing, how are we gonna choose the anime for weeks to come, do we give you suggestions or d you just randomly pick?(I know this question may be a little early)

Edited by Toa of Ponies

I need an opinion of an anime: BECK

I've heard it's quite good, it's about Japanese Urban culture and all that good stuff, so I was wondering if anyone had watched it?

(Also, now there are two anime threads. Not sure what to say about it, but meh, I don't mind. I could ask to get it merged).

(edited)

I need an opinion of an anime: BECK

I've heard it's quite good, it's about Japanese Urban culture and all that good stuff, so I was wondering if anyone had watched it?

(Also, now there are two anime threads. Not sure what to say about it, but meh, I don't mind. I could ask to get it merged).

I've been meaning to watch this series for a while after watching its sister series (Paradise Kiss)

also do not merge, this thread is different to the Anime thread

@,

ok just watched  12 episodes of beck

ok first things first watch the english dub the jap dub had them trying to speak english and for anime that always ends badly and the english dub is better anyway

yeah this is a good series much like its sister series Paradise Kiss its like animated reality with top notch animation however the catch is why the plot and charactor are good it all requires a interest in music that you have to share with the anime but it is not that big of a downer tho so i would check it out for your self.

Edited by PonyEcho

I've heard that Beck is absolutely better in dub because it's about a band who wants to be big in America and the general feel of the music they play works better in English as opposed to Japanese. There's some styles of music that a specific language actually just seems to work better for it. J-pop in English wouldn't sound all that good, now would it? Most anime openings that are translated into English don't actually improve and sometimes are worse than the Japanese version.

I should mention that I only watch dubs, ever. Same with video games. The only time I make an exception is if there is no dub at all like Toradora and Pandora Hearts.

And as mentioned, Baccano should be watched in English because not only is it just plain better in English but it's hard to get a genuine Chicago accent when speaking Japanese. It's kinda like trying to portray an Osakan accent doesn't work very well in English so they just go with a Texan accent to make up for it.

Speaking of anime openings in English there are a couple that I know that were originally in English even before it was dubbed.

1) Black Lagoon is entirely in English but sung by someone who primarily speaks English so it's sung in "Engrish" and it's hard to understand unless you are actually looking at lyrics.

2) Deadman Wonderland's opening was done by an American rock band and made that way in the original release. What's funny about this is there are some people who blindly believe sub > dub no matter what and anything in English in an anime sucks donkey balls so when one such person said they hated Deadman Wonderland's opening because it was English and wanted someone to link them to the original Japanese one they were told that this was actually the original and they just ended with "oh....I didn't know that" and never said anything about it again. lol

• Brohoof 1

I just started watching Baccano! and I must say I'm loving it so far. Just finished watching 3 episodes but I might end up watching the rest within a few days. 

The story's setting is pretty interesting and plot is really cool. I'm watching the dub and so far the voice acting ain't bad. Jacuzzi's voice might take a little getting used to though. 

I'm loving all the characters so far; I think Nice might end up being my favorite just for being

an explosives expert. I always end up liking explosive experts. And that one assassin guy is just plain crazy. I knew he was gonna say something about wanting to get blood on his white suit when he was talking to his uncle.

So, yeah, those are my first impressions. Also, that opening is awesome.

Edited by Cota
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

@@Morager

yeah its a good site i use it most of the time ever since just dubs went down. but yeah its safe you can use it, has a good catalog too of both dub and sub 

EDIT - use ad blockers

Edited by PonyEcho

quick question how safe is animefreak.tv is it a good sit i never really used it but my buddy says its good. im just paranoid about these things

They are safe enough to use but they have a ton of pop-up ad problems so watch out for that. Their mirrors are less than reliable sometimes too. Some series' don't have a good quality video or doesn't have very good sound and sometimes lack dubs.

Disclaimer: I do not condone nor condemn watching anime online. I used to myself but no longer.

• Brohoof 1

They are safe enough to use but they have a ton of pop-up ad problems so watch out for that. Their mirrors are less than reliable sometimes too. Some series' don't have a good quality video or doesn't have very good sound and sometimes lack dubs.

Disclaimer: I do not condone nor condemn watching anime online. I used to myself but no longer.

pretty much the same for me but i have limits.

If i can find a copy at a store i will buy it, but if it is not released in the uk yet i'll watch it then get the DVD because i know it will be more rewarding (also bloopers :P <3)

If it's out of print.... yeah not gonna pay money i don't have for a over priced used copy

or Netflix

I only watch anime online when it's fully allowed (like the official company Youtube having the series on there or the company site has it) or if it's never gonna be found in the US in which case I can hardly not watch it online since there's no way to see it over here.

• Brohoof 1

Okay....so I have no idea what this anime is about at all

But it does look really interesting, I might check it out sometime

After I'm finished watching all of the series that I had never finished

Anime is basically japanese cartoons. They have their own wonderful style, so I think you'll like it! Some good ones I reccomend are One Piece, Naruto, and Full Metal Alchemist. Those are good! Hope you enjoy them! :D 

Anime is basically japanese cartoons. They have their own wonderful style, so I think you'll like it! Some good ones I reccomend are One Piece, Naruto, and Full Metal Alchemist. Those are good! Hope you enjoy them! :D

I made the same mistake but they were actually talking about a SPECIFIC anime in their post as signified by the "this" in the sentence.

I've heard that Beck is absolutely better in dub because it's about a band who wants to be big in America and the general feel of the music they play works better in English as opposed to Japanese. There's some styles of music that a specific language actually just seems to work better for it. J-pop in English wouldn't sound all that good, now would it? Most anime openings that are translated into English don't actually improve and sometimes are worse than the Japanese version.

I've seen Beck, and it's tough to judge whether or not it should be seen dubbed or subbed.  On one hand you're right about what you say here, about the feel of the language and the music.  Also, the fact is, there is a *lot* of English dialog in the original , and while they do a passable job compared to other anime, even that dialog sounds much better in the dub.  Hell, they even got native English speakers to play the part of the Americans.  Problem is, most of them aren't very good actors, and Funiamtion wisely decided to redub even those characters.

On the other hand, the prevalence of the English is a problem for the dub.  Most of the Japanese characters aren't supposed to know English.  So that would be a problem in the dub when everyone *is* speaking English, and the series gets a little awkward in those scenes.

Speaking of anime openings in English there are a couple that I know that were originally in English even before it was dubbed.

1) Black Lagoon is entirely in English but sung by someone who primarily speaks English so it's sung in "Engrish" and it's hard to understand unless you are actually looking at lyrics.

2) Deadman Wonderland's opening was done by an American rock band and made that way in the original release. What's funny about this is there are some people who blindly believe sub > dub no matter what and anything in English in an anime sucks donkey balls so when one such person said they hated Deadman Wonderland's opening because it was English and wanted someone to link them to the original Japanese one they were told that this was actually the original and they just ended with "oh....I didn't know that" and never said anything about it again. lol

What about intros featuring songs by established western bands? Speed Grapher used Duran Duran's "Girls on Film" while Eden of the East used Falling Down by the British band Ocean. With the exception of the first episode of Eden of the East, though, both intros had to be replaced stateside due to music licensing issues.
  • Brohoof 1

So I just finished ep 13 and I gotta say Baccano is awesome. It feels like the story is a really condensed package. You get a good feel for all of the main characters and they are truly memorable. The one thing that bothers me is that it feel like there is still so much more left to this series. I wish there were more seasons because I haven't had my fill of Baccano! I'll probably end up looking into the light novel series after I watch the OVAs.

It's kind of a side note but I find that I often enjoy anime series' that are based off of light novels so I was pretty thrilled upon discovering Baccano was a light novel series. 

I know I said that Ladd was nuts but Vino is even more nuts. The way he got Ladd to toss himself off the Flying Pussyfoot was just perfect. He's definitely on my list of top crazy people.Nice is still my favorite character though and I warmed up to Jacuzzi.

uhm....you do realize that we're supposed to be talking about one series at a time...right?

I only was referring to the series that was on subject...I've been watching anime since I was about 4

(One Piece and Full Metal are good, but I hated Naruto, just to let you know)

Edited by ScootaMoog

I've seen the flick for RoD,  which

seeing paper used like that was cool

and a nerd with glasses kicking butt and loving

reading was one thing I loved on the anime!

and i do recall the anime a touch but not to much.......when it

was G4 but I never really liked any of the main three cannons/girls

to much...

well one thing i rely like about it is the animation of when they paperbend and its were you can raly see were the budget for the anime went (besides the fan service too :/)

one of my gripes with it

past a certain episode the anime falls in quality and becomes just one big hostage exchange anime, i mean the number of time some one is held hostage and for ransom only to be saved at the cost of some one else getting taken, god the characters in this anime are morons all of them even the bad guys.

:/ well this anime doesn't seem to be getting much out of us sadly so might as well add some other questions.

what are you favorite songs in anime? not just the intos but songs that appear during an episode that kind get you pumped

All anime have a soundtrack, like any entertainment medium, but it's usually FAR less prominent. What's more is I don't think people pay attention to it as much because they are either A) reading subtitles and can't necessarily hear the music while trying to read it (lack of multitasking) or B ) the music is almost entirely for background and doesn't stand out so no one pays attention to it.

I myself only rarely pay attention to a soundtrack and it's usually during anime like Darker Than Black or Baccano which have soundtracks that really compliment the mood of the action.