Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

General Chat Thread

Apple      Bloom

(edited)

There's something I've really wanted to do for a long time.

Get one of those portable air conditioners. Pull it up next to your PC. Use some flexible ducts and some duct tape to connect the cool air out to your PC's air intake. Turn the AC on first, then use your computer as normal. If that isn't a Cooler Master, then only dry ice can save you.

But if you want to be a little more reasonable, yes, get an aftermarket cooler. I have a $65 Zalman cooler; it looks badass and it works pretty well. Before that I had the Freezer 7 Pro from Arctic Cooling. It worked just as well. The temperature difference between those two was only about 2-4c, whereas that from stock cooling is a 10-15c difference.

I'm running a Phenom II x4 955 BE OC'ed to 3.7GHz. It's all in a Cooler Master HAF 922 case, loaded with as many fans as it can mount. It's a decent setup, and it stays cooler than my laptop. My GPU, on the other hand, is one big beast. The Radeon HD 7950 I have will get up around the 70c range, even with all the airflow my case provides.

Edited by Regulus
  • Brohoof 1

computer talk

My computer averages at roughly 30 degrees Celcius, and I'm just using fans.

However, that's most likely because I haven't played any PC games since I got a computer thermometer.

So Minecraft was left running on my machine. Already, my computer's a heater.

Get one of those portable air conditioners. Pull it up next to your PC. Use some flexible ducts and some duct tape to connect the cool air out to your PC's air intake. Turn the AC on first, then use your computer as normal.

I feel like taping a box fan to my computer; there's no room in my room for a portable AC unit... But I still wanna get a better cooler.

Hoenn confirmed...Hoen confirmed...

You OK, kitty?

My computer averages at roughly 30 degrees Celcius, and I'm just using fans.

However, that's most likely because I haven't played any PC games since I got a computer thermometer.

To all of you guys: Can you remember a time when computers were passively cooled, or rather, when the only fan in a computer was the one for the power supply and that was the one fan that was supposed to cool down everything?

(edited)

Is it sad that I can sing along to this word for word?

Not really; if there's a song you really like, you'll feel inclined to memorise the lyrics. Half the time, however, my ears (and practically everyone else's) don't come with captions, so it's easy to mishear things. (The same goes for movies.)

Edited by Ganaram Inukshuk

Not really; if there's a song you really like, you'll feel inclined to memorise the lyrics. Half the time, however, my ears (and practically everyone else's) don't come with captions, so it's easy to mishear things. (The same goes for movies.)

Well watching it on a 10 hour loop for about 3 days straight causes you to memorize something almost religiously.

To all of you guys: Can you remember a time when computers were passively cooled, or rather, when the only fan in a computer was the one for the power supply and that was the one fan that was supposed to cool down everything?

All computers I ever owned had fans over their cpus, including the ones that were single core 2.0-ish ghz cpus. I think if you have a CPU that has plenty of space inside (there's plenty of air space between the CPU, GPU and other components), a fan on the power supply that vents air out, a regular fan that vents air out, and an intake fan that blows air in, you should be fine with cooling.

And, obviously, keep the heat sinks on the GPU and CPU clear of dust.

I open-mouth kissed a horse once

I hugged a horse once. I wanted to hug a pony at a traveling petting zoo that came for a historic festival event a year back, but wasn't sure how to go about doing it without looking like a creep.

img-2610812-2-50adf1e8.jpg

Nightmares... the come to me out of the void crying, "Onee-chan! Daisuki na!" 

I hugged a horse once. I wanted to hug a pony at a traveling petting zoo that came for a historic festival event a year back, but wasn't sure how to go about doing it without looking like a creep.

Proper four legged animal hugging procedure:

8620_c56d.gif

• Brohoof 1

Computers are still passively colled, today. Smartphones, Raspberry Pi, smart TVs, modems, routers, DVRs, some netbooks, some ultrabooks, etc...

• Brohoof 1

Computers are still passively colled, today. Smartphones, Raspberry Pi, smart TVs, modems, routers, DVRs, some netbooks, some ultrabooks, etc...

You HAD to get technical, did you? (By the way, that reminded me that one of the computers in my home is also passively cooled, and it's an Asus laptop.)

Since we where talking about computers, I thought I'd post this up it's a blog post

about the pc mods I'm looking forward too.

http://comicconreviews.tumblr.com/post/84926528550/mods-im-looking-forward-too

More stuff like this can be found on my tumblr, follow me for regular updates.

http://comicconreviews.tumblr.com/

Well since it seems pretty quiet around here I guess I'll be hitting the hay soon.

tumblr_lj4nqqAbjL1qiq96ko1_400.gif