Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

video Treasure Island Monologue: Ben Gunn

Finesthour

(edited)

Hey guys!

Well, I am trying out for "Treasure Island" in a few weeks, and I'm practicing this short monologue for it.

Tell me what you guys think of this!

I'm going for an insane pirate. This is a monologue directly from Treasure Island as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMn-CFwrfZI

Edited by Crona The Critic

That sounds pretty good! I'm not the one to give acting advice, but I know a few friends who are into theater. I'll point them your way.

WWAPD's theater friend here: first off, let me say I love the maniacal laugh you have for this monologue...especially the one at the end. Spot on right there.

My biggest piece of advice for this is figure out what accent you are doing. I'm guessing you're using it to find this insanity, but I was getting really caught up in it--it felt almost Southern at one point and then Scottish another time and the times in between I wasn't really sure. Maybe try seeing what it sounds like with no accent at all (it's gonna feel weird but give it a try), and if that seems too weird, lay on the accent a little less thickly.

Also, when you're speaking for "Squirrely," maybe give him his own voice. Give the squirrel a bit of a character and that could add to the insanity because of the fact that you're now narrating for yourself AND a squirrel.

Overall, though, this sounds really, really good. I hope you get the part!!