music Need education on a musical genre. (videos within)

Blackcat

I'm the sort of fellow who usually listens to a lot of older stuff, but recently I've been trying to branch out into more modern musical avenues. I've discovered that I'm a rather big fan of what I have dubbed 'spoken word remixes'

I don't know what this kind of music is actually called, so any musical guru pones out there, could you please sit and listen for a spell, and cure me of this lack of knowledge?

Something about using totally casual, or completely spoken words in a song is just....the greatest freaken thing ever in my mind, and I can't get enough. Just not really sure how to search for this stuff.

I'm going to go on a limb and say old ppl dubstep IJS it really does ring that kind of bell to me anyone els agree? Or maybe an old form of dj'ing. But yah that's all I got. But the last one u posted really does speak to me from a kind of old remix type of mix up on an old movie perhaps Or maybe I was right and it is and old form of remixing or dj'ing in old times. But yah:/

Edited by ᵑ̰ᵅ͞ᵐ̳⅀⁶͢͢²

I'm the sort of fellow who usually listens to a lot of older stuff, but recently I've been trying to branch out into more modern musical avenues. I've discovered that I'm a rather big fan of what I have dubbed 'spoken word remixes'

I don't know what this kind of music is actually called, so any musical guru pones out there, could you please sit and listen for a spell, and cure me of this lack of knowledge?

Something about using totally casual, or completely spoken words in a song is just....the greatest freaken thing ever in my mind, and I can't get enough. Just not really sure how to search for this stuff.

The main genre would be Electronic and you can put them under atleast a few sub-genres.

Alternative Dance

Breakbeat

And maybe Trip-hop

So, call it what you want, I guess. xD

Edited by MuLeKsI

That's what I'd call either a variant of breakbeat or just a wider label of alt electronica.  Both have elements of hip hop and lots of alternative.  You have sampling but also an offbeat whimsy.

Yeah, I'd put them both under alt electronica.  Also The Avalanches are great!  Have this:

OH!  I almost forgot about THIS

Worth it for the Scootaloo solo near the end.

Edited by Stratos
  • Brohoof 2

That's what I'd call either a variant of breakbeat or just a wider label of alt electronica.  Both have elements of hip hop and lots of alternative.  You have sampling but also an offbeat whimsy.

Yeah, I'd put them both under alt electronica.  Also The Avalanches are great!  Have this:

OH!  I almost forgot about THIS

Worth it for the Scootaloo solo near the end.

That was one of the best done PMV's i've ever seen. I am impressed. And thank you kindly for the other avalanches vid. Quite a nice little story and song. 

Also thanks for the genre tips. I do like my moniker of 'spoken word remix' <.< it's certainly more litteral. But I guess I can dig through the electronic bucket and see if I find more gems.