Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I'm Confused about Royalty in Equestria

TBB Symphonia

To be honesst I don't care either way if Twilight is an alicorn or not. In fact I kinda like the idea but there is one thing that I do not understand.

If Twilight was a normal unicorn pony, how does finding a new magic automatically make you royalty and a alicorn at that?

From what I know of royalty, it is past down from a certain bloodline, and that is not done here. Another question that I do not understand.

If Twilight was a normal unicorn pony, and she suddenly gets wings, wouldn't she become a pegacorn instead of a alicorn, since she doesn't have the royal blood?

If anypony on the forums could clear this up for me, I will really appreciate it. Oh and I know that pegacorn is not cannon yet.

Edited by TBB Symphonia
  • Brohoof 1

Well, alicorn doesn't necessarily mean royal. I mean, Blueblood is royal and he is not an alicorn, while Chrysalis is an alicorn (technically) but is not royalty (technically technically). Alicorn is just having both wings and a horn.

As for the question as to why she deserved it...I kept coming up with answers but then got stuck halfway through. I know that someone here knows, though, as this particular question has been brought up before.

Well, in real life, Napoleon and Julius Caeser managed to spawn royal families despite not being royal themselves. Win enough and you can just declare yourself royal and put a crown on your head. And everyone has to go along with it. This is where royalty comes from in the beginning. If you want to go by the Bible, neither Saul nor David had any special blood, but both were quite the warriors. And there are many, many more examples of families declaring themselves royal. There are a good many "royals" today with less legitimacy than Twilight.

As for the transformation, the best I can figure is that Celestia dumped Starswirl's journal on her in hopes that unravelling it's riddle would provide Twilight the necessary spiritual boost to ascend. I'll grant that it makes next to no sense, but I had to come up with something.

As for the Pegacorn/Alicorn bit, well, we've got - in my mind, anyway - three distinct types of winged unicorns. Celestia and Luna are some kind of ageless demigoddesses. Cadance was apparently born with it. And Twilight earned it through her scholarly struggles and singing. Alicorn seems to have special mystical connotations, so I'm inclined to give it to Celestia, Luna, and Twilight. Cadance is a pegacorn as she's some kind of mutant and the least unnatural.

I'm also kind of baffled that Hasbro has managed to screw up the definition of "Princess" in the context of a little girls' cartoon to such a degree. This is absurd.

Being a princess is her destiny.

This means that she doesn't have to come from royal descent to acquire princessdom.

When Celestia discovered Twilight's destiny, she made Twilight an alicorn.

Well, I suppose it depends on how much you look at this like a children's show. From that point of view, alicorn Twilight is lovely. It wasn't the spell that allowed Twilight to transcend, more so the thought behind it. Twilight now fully understood destiny and how the elements of harmony play into destiny. We weren't given much context to this, but my theory was that since each pony is not fulfilling their destiny, they also cannot portray their element. Rarity can't be very generous with the weather, Fluttershy may not be mean but she isn't displaying kindness by running off and hiding, and Pinkie Pie isn't laughing, her hair is straight and she's clearly miserable. Who knows if this theory would have been true but it's my head cannon. When Twilight figured out the true meaning of destiny and being who you're meant to be, she then fully understood the elements of harmony and now has the ability to embody them herself, there fore making her an "all powerful" alicorn. 

If may be a stretch by it plays into my original head cannon that the elements of harmony aren't really the elements of friendship, but virtues that when embodied fully enable Twilight to be successful  Since Twilight is the protagonist, this then teaches children if you portray these traits, you two can be successful/powerful. 

Sorry if my comment overlaps other people's, but I always thought becoming a princess wasn't just being good at magic or making new spells, but self actualization. Like, Twilight used her knowledge of friendship and all that good stuff to solve a major problem. Granted, a self contained problem she accidentally started and solved within ten minutes and all she really did was tell her friends to do a thing instead of the thing they were doing and this is why that episode was not the best possible debut of Twilight Princess but the core idea is there.

• Brohoof 1

Sorry if my comment overlaps other people's, but I always thought becoming a princess wasn't just being good at magic or making new spells, but self actualization. Like, Twilight used her knowledge of friendship and all that good stuff to solve a major problem. Granted, a self contained problem she accidentally started and solved within ten minutes and all she really did was tell her friends to do a thing instead of the thing they were doing and this is why that episode was not the best possible debut of Twilight Princess but the core idea is there.

Again, that's a good point.

The episode was about friendship.

And I understand that friendship is the reason Twilight became a princess.

But they probably should have used it in an episode that made more sense.

I'm just saying.

(edited)

To understand why she became a princess you need to look at her whole life and journey. Celestia explains the why to Twilight during her song and after when she explains:

Princess Celestia: Since you've come to Ponyville, you've displayed the charity, compassion, devotion, integrity, optimism, and of course, the leadership of a true princess.

You also can't get hung up on Twilight's adorkable nature, OCD, or love of learning because she became more than those labels. One may even say inspite of them. She becomes a leader, she became a princess.

Edited by Nature Spell

To understand why she became a princess you need to look at her whole life and journey. Celestia explains the why to Twilight during her song and after when she explains:

Princess Celestia: Since you've come to Ponyville, you've displayed the charity, compassion, devotion, integrity, optimism, and of course, the leadership of a true princess.

You also can't get hung up on Twilight's adorkable nature, OCD, or love of learning because she became more than those labels. One may even say inspite of them. She becomes a leader, she became a princess.

You're right.

I accept the fact that Twilight is now a leader.

But how can the show go on like that?

If she's a leader, can she still study friendship?

You're right.

I accept the fact that Twilight is now a leader.

But how can the show go on like that?

If she's a leader, can she still study friendship?

Being a leader does not mean being a God or dead. I think Twilight will learn even more now that she'll learning from life. Somebody said being a Princess is akin to being an "adult", which seems to imply that adults don't live or learn and that is not true

Being a leader does not mean being a God or dead. I think Twilight will learn even more now that she'll learning from life. Somebody said being a Princess is akin to being an "adult", which seems to imply that adults don't live or learn and that is not true

Wasn't she learning from life in the first place?

She always was learning from life. She had bumps and pits on the road, which her friends helped her out of.

But being a princess just sounds... I don't know, boring.

Wasn't she learning from life in the first place?

She always was learning from life. She had bumps and pits on the road, which her friends helped her out of.

But being a princess just sounds... I don't know, boring.

Yes and no. I think the implication of Leason Zero is that Twilight say her "lessons" as nothing more than a pass and fail grade, which was wrong. Even in the Crystal Empire she felt it was a written test and it wasn't. It was living test. A moral test. Her life won't have structured learning but it will still be there and at some point all students much teach. I think her new role is very exciting, but like her friends she as a job.

Yes and no. I think the implication of Leason Zero is that Twilight say her "lessons" as nothing more than a pass and fail grade, which was wrong. Even in the Crystal Empire she felt it was a written test and it wasn't. It was living test. A moral test. Her life won't have structured learning but it will still be there and at some point all students much teach. I think her new role is very exciting, but like her friends she as a job.

Well, that's true.

But being a princess... it won't ever be the same.

I'm just not comfortable with the idea, that's all.

Please don't get me wrong.

Well, that's true.

But being a princess... it won't ever be the same.

I'm just not comfortable with the idea, that's all.

Please don't get me wrong.

True, I get it, but don't let that cut you off from enjoying the show. Keep your heart and mind and eyes open to what happens. It will work out.

True, I get it, but don't let that cut you off from enjoying the show. Keep your heart and mind and eyes open to what happens. It will work out.

Thank you.

Although I admit that my opinion has not changed, I am willing to see what the writers have in mind.

I'm glad we had this discussion.

(edited)

Thank you.

Although I admit that my opinion has not changed, I am willing to see what the writers have in mind.

I'm glad we had this discussion.

You're welcome. You're smart and have your own ideas and passion, which is great. Only you can change your opinion, but at times others can show you the way forward. It's good to discuss.

Edited by Nature Spell

Wow! You guys really have some intriguing thoughts about her becoming a princess.  Well your right it is a kids show, so I shouldn't really read into it to much, although they could have done the whole turning into a princess into a better way.

Well actually Twilight IS related to Celestia in a way. Cadence is the neace of the royal sisters, so when she married Shining Armour she became Twilights sister, making Twilight related to Celestia (however not by blood). And technicaly royal titles are earned in Equestria. Like for instance Cadence was a pegisus that became an alicorn princess when she learned the meaning of love.

• Brohoof 1

Well you can be royalty if someone in your family or blood relatives are of royal descent and it can be passed on from generation to generation. Or you are just born into royalty. Not all royalty are alicorns, you can be a Pegasus, Earth Pony, and a Unicorn who was either born into royalty or it was passed down to you in your family as the next line to the throne. Royalty is mostly born into, passed down, or you don't have to be royal to be in a royal family.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Well actually Twilight IS related to Celestia in a way. Cadence is the neace of the royal sisters, so when she married Shining Armour she became Twilights sister, making Twilight related to Celestia (however not by blood). And technicaly royal titles are earned in Equestria. Like for instance Cadence was a pegisus that became an alicorn princess when she learned the meaning of love.

Actually, Cadence is a demi alicorn. She actually was a unicor b4 she became a alicorn  Also, they wouldn't be sisters at all, but they would be sister in laws. You were right about them not being related by blood. I have no idea where you were going with twilight being related to celestia though.

Thanks for your thoughts smile.png

Edited by TBB Symphonia