Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Dragon Spike vs. Dog Spike

Champion RD92

Dragon Spike vs. Dog Spike  

38 users have voted

1. 1. Dragon Spike or Dog Spike?

• Dragon Spike
    • Dog Spike

For some reason, I liked Spike way better when he was a dog. I liked his design as a dog, and maybe it's just because I like dogs, but I just don't care for him much as a dragon. He seems cooler as a dog for whatever reason, I wish he had stayed as a dog lol

Do you guys like dragon Spike or dog Spike better???

• Brohoof 2

I liked dog Spike more. I'm not quite sure either. I'm guessing it has something to do with how adorable he looked as a dog. I just prefer the dog design more than his dragon design. >3<

• Brohoof 2

I think I have to agree with WC that Spike was more adorable as a dog. His canine design, least I felt, worked better for his character and that his voice fit his dog form more than his dragon form.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I don't like the general idea of the characters' transformations in EqG at all. Has nothing to do with the actual movie, just the idea.

And so, I don't like Spike the dog. Why?

Well, he might talk, still be the same character, but turning him into a being that simply is a pet besides a human feels... wrong.

Seeing a dragon interacting with ponies feels a bit like watching two species from Star Trek. Equal in their sentience. But a dog interacting with humans... No. Just no. Can't like that, will never like that. Everything inside me angrily asks "Speciesism?". That's how I see it. Sorry. It's a, perhaps unintentional or imprudent, character insult to me. All is "fine" in the movie, but there is a difference between a message's actual content and it's presentation. I know, this is subjective, but it's simply how I see it.

Edited by StatesTheOblivious
  • Brohoof 4

Spike did have a nice design as a dog, and there was those funny moments when he wanted a scratch or something from Rarity. Other than that, I think Dragon Spike is better. I just feel that his dragon form matches his personality a whole lot better than a dog does. He's never really been a "pet" either.

By the way, in the movie, Twilight doesn't seem to know what hands are, but didn't Spike have hands as a dragon?

Spog (Yeah, lets call him that. Much better than the alternative) surprised the hell out of me. His design (in my opinion) is really cute and I think he was incredibly well done. He just felt like a much more natural character. Not as a pet, but as a friend and basically sidekick to Twilight. That is the other thing that surprised me. Spike was basically 'reduced' to pet status, but the writers really did not treat it that way, minus him being incognito. The relationship between him and Twilight in the movie was still great. 

So, I actually love Spog a lot more. The design, the way he was written, it is all superior for the most part. I love dragon Spike too of course, I just want to see more writing like this for him.

Spike did have a nice design as a dog, and there was those funny moments when he wanted a scratch or something from Rarity. Other than that, I think Dragon Spike is better. I just feel that his dragon form matches his personality a whole lot better than a dog does. He's never really been a "pet" either.

By the way, in the movie, Twilight doesn't seem to know what hands are, but didn't Spike have hands as a dragon?

I assume that is because Spike has claws and those are not actual 'hands', at least the same term is not used in Equestria. Of course there was What My Cutie Mark is Telling Me, but I digress!

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

He is the same person just in a different form and situation so i don't think i can like one better than the other he was on fire as a dog. But its sad they made him a dog it felt disrespectful to him as a being who is on equal ground with the mane 6. I wanted a anime look damit why could the movie not be anime o sorry.

Edited by The EverFree Pony

Uhhh they are pretty much the same person and personality. The only difference is that one can breathe fire and the other doesn't.

I have to admit though Dog Spike had a cute design and he was adorable when he scratched his ears......

Dragon Spike.

I liked dog spike, but I think dragon Spike is a lot cuter. I guess its his mouth and face shape?
Also, Spike sees himself as a pony in Equestria. He is not a pet. And even if they treat him the same in the movie I bet he still would feel unequal being a dog when he feels like he should be a human.

Well be it dog Spike or usual dragon Spike, it's still the same Spike. And since I like Spike most of the time, I enjoyed his stint as a dog even though I initially had major reservations about it- I'm glad they still let him talk for instance, and it makes me wonder if other dragons are dogs in that world as well... but, he's still better as a Dragon imo, as a dog he loses his primary function as a mail box! :P

In terms of function, dragon Spike is much better because he'll be in the Equestrian world for all his days; the dog form was temporary. However, in terms of my sentimentality, I would pick dog Spike. He's just so much cuter than dragon Spike :D

I think Dragon Spike is better. First of all, I like the appearance better. However, Dragon Spike needs greed to grow up. Dog Spike is kind of annoying to me, asking for itches behind the ear and whatnot.

Normally I would say Dragon, because.. Well.. Dragons are bleedin' cool!

But like the majority, I'd say dog spike

I like his design, the way he sits in Twilight's bag is just adorable to me, he is a good voice of reason, and I'm pretty sure the dog in Tom and Jerry was called 'Spike' too, so yeah..
Dog spike

(edited)

I'm going to take the third option:  PONY SPIKE!!!

992b08bb1827c0e163a436b61f051bd6-d5m0hpm

Seriously though, as much as Spike the Dog worked, I'm still more partial to Spike as a dragon.  Maybe I'm just used to him that way, but his personality fits better as a dragon than as a dog.  That's just me though.

Edited by Astrobrony

Dog Spike for me, since I love dogs. Plus didn't he seem a lot more supportive and helpful to Twi during the movie as a dog than he was a dragon. Perhaps it was the dog like qualities (Loyal and such).

• Brohoof 1

Spike as a dragon was far better. Dragons beat dogs anyday, regardless of any other arguments. I still didn't like the changing into humans/dogs in the first place, but oh well. :umad:

BOTH= GODS

Seriously, Spike is Spike, and that's good enough for me. I've always been a big Spike fanboy. :)

But, if I had to pick, I'd take Dragon Spike, as you can't beat the original.

• Brohoof 1

Spike is still Spike whether as a dog or dragon so it dosen't really make much of a difference to me though I love all the jokes about Spike having a love affair with Rarity's leg thanks to his dog form.

(edited)

I truthfully prefer dragon Spike. Canine Spike is nice, but I think he's cuter as a baby dragon. On the other hand, as a person who fosters dogs at home, I'd be more than willing to keep him as either species. :catface:

Edited by Misumi Nagisa

I liked Spike as a dog. He was so cute, and I liked the design better than when he was a dragon, actually. But I'd rather him as a dragon in the show, the dog thing was cute.

• Brohoof 1