Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

This type of brony?

Sergios117

This is perilously close to calling out people for 'not being a real brony'. Are you sure you want to go down that path? I'll warn you, it's not a good path. Other fandoms have gone down that path, and discovered the bad place at the end of it.

Especially when volume the non-show content is increasing far faster than the show content can. Including official non-show content like the comics, the books, etc. I'm already aware of people who prefer the comics over the show itself. Are they not 'real bronies'?

• Brohoof 3

This isn't the case with MLP, because nearly all material you and I watch besides the show, isn't made by the company, they're merely works by fans. There isn't a group of fans that like the games but don't watch the show simply because there aren't any memorable games of MLP, at least, not the ones made by companies.

I have to wonder if there's anyone out there who loves either the Gameloft game or the IDW comics but has no interest in the show itself. 

I have to admit, I'm kind of uncomfortable splitting between who's a "real" fan and who isn't, but at the same time I can't help but think that calling yourself a brony when you don't watch the show seems silly and nonsensical.  There's a difference between being a fan of the franchise and being a fan of the fandom. 

I have to wonder if there's anyone out there who loves either the Gameloft game or the IDW comics but has no interest in the show itself. 

I have to admit, I'm kind of uncomfortable splitting between who's a "real" fan and who isn't, but at the same time I can't help but think that calling yourself a brony when you don't watch the show seems silly and nonsensical.  There's a difference between being a fan of the franchise and being a fan of the fandom. 

Yep, there are fans of the comic that have no interest in the show. I know two of them personally.

Go look at the damage done to the Star Wars fandom by fans debating on whether the 'real fan' can be fans of the original trilogy, the prequel trilogy, or the expanded SW universe. As I said, this is *not* a good path.

• Brohoof 1

Enjoying content created by the fanbase of a show isn't equable to enjoying the show it's based upon. There have been multiple comments of people on some of Wooden Toaster's work or other types of stuff going "I'm not a Brony, but I love this!". For instance, I haven't watched Gravity Falls, but I really like the song "Supernatural" by Ken Ashcorp, which is based on it. Does that then make me a fan of Gravity Falls?

Edited by Flipturn Brennenburg
  • Brohoof 2

Yep, there are fans of the comic that have no interest in the show. I know two of them personally.

Go look at the damage done to the Star Wars fandom by fans debating on whether the 'real fan' can be fans of the original trilogy, the prequel trilogy, or the expanded SW universe. As I said, this is *not* a good path.

I think it's a little different with Star Wars in that they're *all* the basis around which the fandom is built.  Plus I find it hard to believe that fans of the EU have not at least *seen* the movies at some point.  A better comparison might be with those who have only watched the Star Wars fan films and the fanfiction but have no interest in any of the official material.  Do these people even exist? 

Like i said, I'm not comfortable with defining who's a "real" fan and who's not, and could totally see your point about where things could be headed.  But at the same time, it makes no sense to me to say that you're part of a fandom but have no interest in the actual thing the fandom is about.

They don't need to be fans of the show to call themselves bronies. That's just plain silly. If you enjoy anything MLP related, that includes: fan art, fanfics, music, etc. Then, you are a brony, if you want to be referred to as one. You can just be a fan if you want. Whatever floats your boat.

Edited by SmartyPants
  • Brohoof 1

I dont think you have to actually watch the show to be a brony.

Now I do believe that on a technical level you aren't really a brony if you don't watch the show but, I guess you could consider yourself to be a fan of the fandom if you listen to or crate music, make fan art, or write fan fictions.

I mean you're likely doing just about everything that a person who actually watches the show and is involved with the fandom would do right?

• Brohoof 1

I guess you could consider yourself to be a fan of the fandom if you listen to or crate music, make fan art, or write fan fictions.

Hahaha, our fandom is so awesome we have fans of the fandom. :D

But anyway, I think if someone is interested in the art and such that the show inspires, it's somewhat of a first step into the water, and only a matter of time before they would get interested enough to start watching the show(I think we all know how quickly it can escalate from there, haha). And while I believe a true Brony is someone who watches the show, I have no problem with these people calling themselves Bronies, even if they do not actually watch the show (yet ;))

• Brohoof 2

I can see that, as much as I love the show I can see where the comics could have a much wider appeal. than the show. It really doesn't have the "girls show" remnants that some might find off-putting do to being made after the show hit it's curve and had a established older fanbase.

It's not entirely unusual for fanworks to be better than the original work in many ways. When you have so much fan stuff there's bound to be some VERY talented people out there making things that have far more thought put into them than the creators put into the original product.

It's no secret that the fanbase has a tendency to not only overanalyze but embellish the things that they enjoy about something. You'll find stories that have many more aspects to character's personalities or music that is more varied or in-depth than that in the show, or artwork that is FAR more proportionate than a constantly re-used template.

This is true of any fandom but especially the bigger ones like MLP.

Well, as long as they like the show I suppose. If they only like the fandom but couldn't care less about the show or its characters or anything about the show I don't think they are deserving to be called a Brony. This Fandom was created because of our love of the show, its characters and stories, the songs, music, the writing, all that good stuff. If they don't give a damn about any of that then why call themselves a Brony? They are a fan of the Fandom. Not the Fandom itself.

Also I'm gonna say this. If they don't like the show or anything about it, but like the stuff we make. That's practically hypocritical, since the stuff we make was inspired and based off the show and everything about it.

Edited by AnonBrony
  • Brohoof 1

Okay, I'm going to try again, as I don't think I've been sufficiently clear. :P

Some people are defining 'Brony' as being an adult male fan of the TV animation 'My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic'. I believe this is exclusionary, divisive, and so narrow a definition that no wonder people think the fandom is going to die off so quickly. 

Because they have basically *defined* the fandom so that it will die quite soon. Even if the fandom does continue on, they can say it died because it no longer fits their definition.

The definition excludes women, children, fans of earlier (and future) generations, as well as fans of other mediums such as the comics, the movie, and the books. Heck, I've started to see definitions that restrict it even further, with some saying only fans of Season 1 are 'true' bronies, and that anyone who liked Seasons 2 and 3 are traitors to Lauren Faust.

This is one of the drawbacks of the 'Hipster' group the documentary specified as one of the three major groups of fans. While there are many good things about hipsters (focusing attention on interesting and obscure things that others wouldn't notice, for instance), one of their flaws is this need to narrowly define things so that they are exclusive. That only they truly appreciate whatever this narrowly defined thing is, and everyone else isn't allowed to participate because they just aren't 'cool' enough.

Being open and inclusive isn't being 'a fan of the fandom'. It's being a fan of My Little Pony and what it represents. You can be a fan of the G1 movie 'Rescue at Midnight Castle' (the one that hooked Lauren Faust back in the 80's) and be a brony. You can be a fan of the comics and be a brony. You can be a woman and be a brony. You can be a grandfather and be a brony. You can be a child and be a brony. You can be a fan of the animation and be a brony. You can be a fan of the music and be a brony. You can be a fan of the characters and be a brony. You can be a fan of Fallout: Equestria and be a brony. You can be a fan of the Vinyl Scratch Tapes and be a brony.

Being exclusionary and cutting people out of the fandom because they don't fit your narrow definition is the path to darkness. This has happened to other fandoms, like Star Wars, Star Trek, and Doctor Who. The three fandoms that are most compared to this one. They survived because eventually those fans came to realize that they don't have exclusive rights. That they don't get to define who is and who isn't a fan.That new fans may like different things about the subject and different versions than the 'originals' do, such as the Star Wars novels, the Star Trek animated series, and the Doctor Who Monthly comics. So on and so forth. Big fandoms are about more than the three seasons/three movies/first three actors/whatever. And they don't get to be big fandoms if they limit themselves to that.

Eventually the G4 animated show will end. And likely there will be a G5 show, given the response G4 got. Will fans of G5 be 'allowed' into the fandom? Are you going to try to stop them? Because I'll tell you this for free, that's exactly what it will take for me to stop being a brony. The current show can go to shit, and I'll still be a brony because I'm a fan of My Little Pony. I'll still have the episodes and comics already broadcast/published, and all the fan-created content. But if being a brony means I have to try to keep new people from joining the fandom because 'they're not cool enough', then I'll be gone.

• Brohoof 1

However, you can be an expert of science without knowing everything of the world. Really, the show is just one aspect of the fandom. You can be part of a pokemon fandom without watching the anime, so why should it be different with this? That's my perspective of the situation, anyway.

The whole point of being a fan of something is that you follow every aspect. I play pokemon, yes, but I'm not a fan of it. When people are fans of movie stars or singers, they take in all the stuff that comes out from those singers and movie stars-even up to their personal life (poor people). If you watch a movie that you like, that doesn't mean that you are a fan of the actors, just that you like the movie. You can't call yourself a brony and miss the big massive fact that you haven't seen the show from which the name comes from.

It's like going to eat a cake, but just eat the icing instead and throwing the cake away. That's my perspective of the situation, anyway.  

In this case you're not really a Brony per sey. All you are is someone who enjoys the work of Bronies. If I looked up a drawing right now of an Anime or watched a fan made video. I could say "Wow, this person is actually really good at drawing/ making videos." Can't say I'm a fan of Anime. But, I can however be a fan of someone who does Anime Pics/ Videos. So technically if you're not a fan of watching the show and just like the drawings and fanfics and what not. That pretty much means you're a fan of a Brony's work. But, doesn't necessarily make you a Brony. 

Okay, I'm going to try again, as I don't think I've been sufficiently clear. :P

Some people are defining 'Brony' as being an adult male fan of the TV animation 'My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic'. I believe this is exclusionary, divisive, and so narrow a definition that no wonder people think the fandom is going to die off so quickly. 

Because they have basically *defined* the fandom so that it will die quite soon. Even if the fandom does continue on, they can say it died because it no longer fits their definition.

You also risk defining the fandom so broadly that the definition loses all meaning.  Is someone who likes only one particular brony musician a brony, or just a fan of that musician?  A line has to be drawn somewhere. 

To me, if someone calls themselves a Brony but doesn't watch the show, it strikes me as somewhat insincere.  , like they're jumping on a bandwagon rather than really enjoying what the fandom is actually about. 

• Brohoof 3

Sure, that is kind of the stage I'm at currently. I've seen all the episodes and it's and entertaining enough cartoon, but the only thing really keeping me around is the fan content. 

Edited by TheSteampunkNinja (TSN)

You also risk defining the fandom so broadly that the definition loses all meaning.  Is someone who likes only one particular brony musician a brony, or just a fan of that musician?  A line has to be drawn somewhere. 

To me, if someone calls themselves a Brony but doesn't watch the show, it strikes me as somewhat insincere.  , like they're jumping on a bandwagon rather than really enjoying what the fandom is actually about. 

^All of this.

Bottom line is, none of this fan art, fiction, or music created by the community would even exist without the show. I don't know about anyone else, but it kind of feels to me like a slap in the face to think that people are only in it for the fandom, and not the show around which the fandom is rooted in the first place - like hawkflame said, it feels like more of a bandwagon mentality than anything else...like a bunch of hipsters jumping on an opportunity to be all "ironic" and "counterculture". 

It'd be like if I were to read a bunch of Dr. Who, Star Trek or Red Dwarf fanfiction without ever having seen a single episode of any of those shows - would I really qualify as a Whovian, Trekkie or Smeghead? I don't think so. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that people are interested in the art that has been inspired by our brightly-colored pony friends, but as far as I'm concerned, all they get is the stamp of 'Honorary Brony' until they actually give the show a try.

Edited by Kefka

Hm. Well, I think of it like this. I could go watch a bunch of fan animations and look at art made by fans of a show I've never watched and don't want to watch and enjoy it. I may even spend a ton of my time on fan works from that particular fandom, but that doesn't change the fact that I've never watched the show! In order to fully appreciate the work put into the fan works, I'd have to watch the show anyway! I think that they have every right to call themselves a brony, as you can call yourself whatever you want, but in my eyes you aren't truly a fan of the show, or a brony, until you actually watch the show.

I don't believe that they are bronies. They have to like the show, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. That is the only criteria. You don't even have to watch every single episode. But if you only like fanart and fanfics and stuff, you just like the art and the fanfiction, none of which is officially affiliated with the show. So no, again, they're not bronies.

Edit:

You also risk defining the fandom so broadly that the definition loses all meaning. 

Perfect, this is just the perfect way to describe it. The title has no meaning if there is no qualification behind it. I think "liking the show, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic" is as broad as it ought to be.
Edited by Norman
  • Brohoof 1

Out of curiousity, why? Why does a line need to be drawn? What exactly are they gaining from 'pretending' to be a brony? 

This particular bandwagon gets refuge and offal thrown at it constantly. It's like claiming to be a Furry, all they get is derision and mocking. Including from other members of the fandom who have judged them to be 'not worthy'....

:blink:  It just seems to be a little silly to exclude people who *want* to be part of the fandom no matter how tenuous the connection is.

It just seems to be a little silly to exclude people who *want* to be part of the fandom no matter how tenuous the connection is.

To be fair: If someone is enamored with the fandom and artistic community, what earthly reason do they have to not check out the source material? I mean, isn't it just as silly to read fanfics about a show you've never even seen? :huh:

Edited by Thrashy

Out of curiousity, why? Why does a line need to be drawn? What exactly are they gaining from 'pretending' to be a brony? 

This particular bandwagon gets refuge and offal thrown at it constantly. It's like claiming to be a Furry, all they get is derision and mocking. Including from other members of the fandom who have judged them to be 'not worthy'....

:blink:  It just seems to be a little silly to exclude people who *want* to be part of the fandom no matter how tenuous the connection is.

If there is no line, then there is no definition for the fandom. What it's really about gets lost and fuzzy. And I'd imagine even you have a line. Would you consider someone who just looked at one piece of MLP fan art once and liked it, to be a brony?

Some people join groups like bronies because they want to be part of something bigger. They want to be in on the cameraderie without really being interested in what it's about. That's why they come across to me as rather insincere.

Besides, if you say you want to be a part of the fandom but you can't be bothered to watch a 30 minute show, how badly do you want to be in it in the first place? Is it really that hard to watch a couple of episodes?