Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

This type of brony?

Sergios117

Alright, I've run into a few people on the internet who have a unique case regarding MLP.

They don't watch the show, nor do I think they like it, but love all the fan work such as the art and fan fics. Can they be called bronies or not? 

The thing is, bronies are fans of the show, but these people are solely interested in the fandom itself.

• Brohoof 1

Everyone has a different definition for the word "brony", so you'll probably get a lot of different answers on this one.

In my opinion, no, no, no. Can you call yourself a mario fan if you only like mario, but never have played a game? Could you call yourself a fan of horror, if you've only seen one horror movie? Not really.

Like, we could extend this with more examples. I could like one piece of music, but not entirely enjoy its genre, that doesn't make me a fan of the genre, it makes me someone who likes to listen to one song.

Someone who has never seen an episode can't be a brony. It seems people are making an exception especially for our fandom, whilst other fandoms won't consider you a fan if you haven't watched an episode or whatever. One could get interested in the series though, but truly a fan? Get out.

Those people shouldn't call themselves for that reason alone, they're like a friend of mine who is totally a "brony", but can't talk about it with my other friends because he has only seen 6 episodes, and that was a few months ago on top of that. So, not really a brony at all.

You like pony artwork, vids, music, whatever. That's pretty cool. But if you haven't seen a single episode, don't go jumping on that hype train because I'll push you right off.

Heck, I would even go as far as saying that one isn't a brony if he or she isn't finishing the episodes said person still has to finish.

Edited by Winterbass
  • Brohoof 12

To me they are Bronies per defintion...

I know a few people who either don´t really like the show or liked it and stopped watching it/ liking it, but they stay for the community and the art. I don´t think that´s bad, or that they are no "real bronies" for that, I don´t really care.

I love the show, but it doesn´t require that to call yourself a Brony...

(btw, i know some people who even dislike the term brony, and rather just call themselves Fans)

Of course that´s my idea of what makes someone a "Brony", so, that's that..

Edited by Friendship_Cannon

Everyone has a different definition for the word "brony", so you'll probably get a lot of different answers on this one.

In my opinion, no, no, no. Can you call yourself a mario fan if you only like mario, but never have played a game? Could you call yourself a fan of horror, if you've only seen one horror movie? Not really.

Like, we could extend this with more examples. I could like one piece of music, but not entirely enjoy its genre, that doesn't make me a fan of the genre, it makes me someone who likes to listen to one song.

Someone who has never seen an episode can't be a brony. It seems people are making an exception especially for our fandom, whilst other fandoms won't consider you a fan if you haven't watched an episode or whatever. One could get interested in the series though, but truly a fan? Get out.

Those people shouldn't call themselves for that reason alone, they're like a friend of mine who is totally a "brony", but can't talk about it with my other friends because he has only seen 6 episodes, and that was a few months ago on top of that. So, not really a brony at all.

You like pony artwork, vids, music, whatever. That's pretty cool. But if you haven't seen a single episode, don't go jumping on that hype train because I'll push you right off.

Heck, I would even go as far as saying that one isn't a brony if he or she isn't finishing the episodes said person still has to finish.

yes i 100% agree if they dont watch the show there not bronies they just want to be with us not because of the show because we've  become a more advance commuity than most fandoms and they think if they just join in with fan work they will be apart of us and are advance commuity of fans but i wont let them if they think they can invade are commuity but not others than there 100% WRONG!

Edited by carrick sparkle
  • Brohoof 1

I think a brony is a fan of My Little Pony, hence the name 'brony'. Whether they watch the show or not they are a fan of something to do with MLP, which makes them a brony.

• Brohoof 1

A brony is a fan of the show My Little Pony friendship is magic. you are not a brony if you are not a fan of my little pony friendship is magic. YOU HAVE to be a fan of the show to be a brony.

Bronydanceparty isn't actually a brony. he's an example of a fake brony. he just makes pony animations. he's a fan of the fandom.

Edited by charlton
  • Brohoof 3

There is one thing about being a fan of the show all bronies share. It's the meaning of certain memes induced by the show. If one says "it needs to be 20% cooler", call Her Highness "princess Trollestia" or posts a picture with Pinkie Pie breaking the forth wall, non-fans wouldn't understand the meanig of it as well as fans do. As long as they refuse to watch related episodes.

Enjoying the fan created-content doesn't make one a brony. That makes them a fan of that art. That's it.

If you want to consider yourself a brony, there's really no excuse for not checking out the show that inspired the art. Even the whole series only amounts to ~24 hours at this point, and it ain't like it's hard to find.

A brony is a person who is a fan of My Little Pony. Is someone who enjoys art and music based off of My Little Pony not, by definition, a Brony? They are a fan of My Little Pony. Maybe not the show, but still. That's how I see it, anyway.

• Brohoof 5

Hm....this is obviously a trick question!  :o 

Well I see no problem with people calling themselves bronies if they are partial fans of it, but if they hate the show and claim to be bronies is an all new different story.  :P 

• Brohoof 1

Enjoying the fan created-content doesn't make one a brony

I agree with this statement. For example, One can draw an anime picture, doesn't mean they like anime. Personally, If a person wants to call themselves a brony, then let them :P

• Brohoof 1

You can't say your an expert of science because you know E=mc^2, and just like the fact that you only know one science fact, just looking at one aspect of a show or fandom doesn't make you a fan. 

However, you can be an expert of science without knowing everything of the world. Really, the show is just one aspect of the fandom. You can be part of a pokemon fandom without watching the anime, so why should it be different with this? That's my perspective of the situation, anyway.

• Brohoof 3

My definition of the the word brony is someone who enjoys My Little Pony friendship is magic. If they like something based of it, I would still call them a brony, because they are enjoying something related to the show even if it is not the show itself.

• Brohoof 2

I would agree also that a brony defines whoever has a positive interest in My Little Pony. Whether it be just for the show or just for the fanwork, they're all fans of the franchise in the end.

• Brohoof 2

However, you can be an expert of science without knowing everything of the world. Really, the show is just one aspect of the fandom. You can be part of a pokemon fandom without watching the anime, so why should it be different with this? That's my perspective of the situation, anyway.

Because the show isn't just one aspect of the fandom, it's *the* central cornerstone around which the whole fandom is built.  Pokemon is really built on *two* cornerstones- the anime and the game, so you can like one and not the other and still be a part of its fandom.  If anything, you could argue that Pokemon is built more around the game, since that came first. 

• Brohoof 4

Really, the show is just one aspect of the fandom. You can be part of a pokemon fandom without watching the anime, so why should it be different with this?

That's right, but whereas Pokémon has games, the TCG, the Anime AND Manga, this is not really the case with MLP. The Brony fanbase has sprung up pretty much only from the show. Not only that, but there is a gap between Bronies and ''MLP fans'' in my opinion. To me, someone who likes the show, and/or the comics, and/or the toys, but not the fanworks, can be considered a fan. For me a Brony is someone who enjoys at least the show and other fanworks. This forum is a good example of fanwork. Someone who just likes the show but doesn't care about anything else, wouldn't register here nearly as fast as most Bronies would.

And there's not really a term for the 'Bronies of the Pokémon fandom', if you know what I am getting at. You have diehards, you have casuals, but they're all just 'Pokémon fans', whereas a Brony can be told apart from a regular 'MLP fan'.

Also, MLP fans don't like it when they're called 'Bronies' just because they watch the show. Davidr64yt actually called it 'the most disturbing part about Bronies [the fact some of us always want others to join our club, as he said it].' By that he means that he likes the show, but doesn't consider himself a Brony just because he likes the show. And honestly, I can agree on him. It IS kind of one of the most disturbing parts of this fandom, and, probably one of the reasons why people dislike us so much (getting off-topic here, I'll stop now) :P

Edited by Relotus

The difference with MLP and Pokemon is that Pokemon, besides it's initial show, also has a manga, which the show is based off on, and the games, which are an entire seperate aspect. The games are based of the show, but only its ideas. Therefore, one can become a fan of the Pokemon franchise. In the pokemon fandom there is a clear division between the ones who watch the shows, read the manga and play the games. Heck, even some artists who draw pokemon aren't necessarily pokemon fans, they just like pokemon but aren't involved at all in the fandom itself outside of drawing a few pictures.

This isn't the case with MLP, because nearly all material you and I watch besides the show, isn't made by the company, they're merely works by fans. There isn't a group of fans that like the games but don't watch the show simply because there aren't any memorable games of MLP, at least, not the ones made by companies.

Plus, a scientist doesn't need to know anything, but at least he knows its basics and works further with those. People who haven't watched the show don't even have a grasp on the basics.

In my opinion, people should get out of the fandom if they aren't willing to watch the show.

I could like sonic screwdrivers, the TARDIS and daleks. But that doesn't make me a Doctor Who fan at all, it just makes me curious or at least have some positive opinion about certain aspects of the series. Exactly the case with "bronies" that don't watch the show. Sure, there might be far more material out there than Doctor Who or any other series, but it's still the same, they are not bronies.

And I'll leave you this question to clarify my opinion even more:

How does one become a fan of the Lion King, if you have never seen the film? How does one become a fan of Star Trek if you haven't even seen an episode or don't even know the names of the characters?

See how ridiculous that sounds, at least in my ears it does.

Edited by Winterbass
  • Brohoof 2

I started being a brony when a friend showed me some work by AnimatedJames and Bronydanceparty. At that point, I began to grow a positive interest in MLP. My friend also introduced me to the show. Right then and there, I began calling myself a brony.

I really can't see anyone being a brony unless they've seen at least one episode of the show, but that's just me. Everyone has their own way of looking at things. I like the show.

So, I guess if I were to describe the definition of Brony, it'd be someone that likes MLP FIM or the content that people make of it, such as art, animation, and so forth.

What I wanted to write accidentally got deleted but I pretty much summed up what I was going to say in a few posts below this one, so just ignore this one and read that one. Thank you, and have a splendid day good sir or madam!

Edited by BioticDemon

A brony is anybody who likes My Little pony, really.

That's not true at all. That would mean that a mother who watches it with her 6-year old daughter, who doesn't even know the fandom exists, is a brony. But they can't be really considered one if they don't even know what it is. Not only that, but in my previous reply I wrote that people partially dislike us because some of us say that anyone who likes the show is a brony, and anyone who doesn't is a hater. But someone who just likes MLP can't really be considered a brony. That'd be an MLP fan. A brony, in my eyes, is someone who does enjoy the show, knows about the fandom, and uses/enjoys fanworks by other Bronies. Whether it's animation, music, art, NSFW or not. (Please take this as an insult, I know that is your opinion and I respect that, but I felt like expressing my own :P)

• Brohoof 2

You're not a brony if you don't like, nor watch the actual show. Liking what the fans of the show produce is an entirely different situation than being an actual brony. Don't claim you are a brony if you barely even watch the actual show; the fandom is no excuse to being called a brony.

• Brohoof 1

That's not true at all. That would mean that a mother who watches it with her 6-year old daughter, who doesn't even know the fandom exists, is a brony. But they can't be really considered one if they don't even know what it is. Not only that, but in my previous reply I wrote that people partially dislike us because some of us say that anyone who likes the show is a brony, and anyone who doesn't is a hater. But someone who just likes MLP can't really be considered a brony. That'd be an MLP fan. A brony, in my eyes, is someone who does enjoy the show, knows about the fandom, and uses/enjoys fanworks by other Bronies. Whether it's animation, music, art, NSFW or not. (Please take this as an insult, I know that is your opinion and I respect that, but I felt like expressing my own :P)

I would never take this as an insult! It's just your opinion, there's nothing wrong with it. It's funny, I had a big whole paragraph or two written on this topic, but I lost it. So I'll try to sum up kind of what I was saying. I think that you can be a brony without watching the show. If you enjoy the comics, fanart, fanfictions, and the fandom you can be a brony. I think that bronies who haven't seen the show should give it a try sometime though, I think they would enjoy it.

Edited by BioticDemon
  • Brohoof 2