Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Magical Mystery Cure Was Too Short

CultOfTheNorth

I too think that they could have elaborated on it more. I mean Season 2 started and ended with a two-parter, AND IT HAD MORE EPISODES!! This was the shortest season and yet they couldn't give this wonderful episode two parts. I think they made it a musical as an excuse for why everything felt rushed.

It is a great episode :) But I would appreciate it more if the problem hadn't been solved so quickly and all of a sudden TWILY'S A PRINCESS!! If they could have built up to that a little more, I would love this episode even more ;) 

Luckily the writers said that this is the first part out of an Alicorn Twi story arc. They will expand on it more in Season 4. I just wish they hadn't started it with such a rushed episode :(

• Brohoof 1

They did have a long musical for the first part of the episode, and the rest of it well.. was resolving the issue in a rushed pace. I feel that the writers could at least try not to put too much filler in episodes, with no rushed pace.

• Brohoof 1

I too think that they could have elaborated on it more. I mean Season 2 started and ended with a two-parter, AND IT HAD MORE EPISODES!! This was the shortest season and yet they couldn't give this wonderful episode two parts. I think they made it a musical as an excuse for why everything felt rushed.

It is a great episode smile.png But I would appreciate it more if the problem hadn't been solved so quickly and all of a sudden TWILY'S A PRINCESS!! If they could have built up to that a little more, I would love this episode even more wink.png 

Luckily the writers said that this is the first part out of an Alicorn Twi story arc. They will expand on it more in Season 4. I just wish they hadn't started it with such a rushed episode sad.png

Yeah I wish this season had more episodes and elaboration is the best thing ever for stories :)

They did have a long musical for the first part of the episode, and the rest of it well.. was resolving the issue in a rushed pace. I feel that the writers could at least try not to put too much filler in episodes, with no rushed pace.

yup

damn i have to subscribe to yet another jack ass on u tube LOL thanks op.

Thanks alot.  (I thought it was pretty bad ass and i was being goofy just now).

Thanks :) now lets see if I can continue releasing videos every other week

• Brohoof 1

It's an alright idea, but I do see a few problems with your idea.

1. If Twilight went everyone of her friends, I feel like the episode would drag a little. All she would need to do is try a spell on 1 friend and once it failed, she would not try that anymore. Then I think it would drag by that point. The song did a good job at showing it. Not to mention she already looked at spells in the episode and knew well that nothing could work.

2. I just don't think Spike, would wait a day or 2, to talk to Twilight when she is that depressed. 

3. Just because it's a 2 parter does not mean it's going to be good. Crystal Empire was a 2 parter and that one still has many problems.

Now it might be able to work, but I still feel it would need a little work.

Edited by pinkiefan1287

I do agree it was too short, but I also heard that the first part of season 4 is going to expand more on the whole story.  It did feel rushed to me, and I hope that the writers don't disappoint!

Anyway, if you're still aching for a bit more of Alicorn Twilight and how she's dealing, the chapter books, Twilight Sparkle and the Crystal Heart Spell and Pinkie Pie and the Rockin' Ponypalooza Party are great reads.  They're quick to read, too, and it just gives more insight on the characters.  I hope you get the chance to read them!  They should be in the kids' chapter books section in your local bookstore. 

Yeah, it did feel rushed in my eyes. They could have elaborated much more on the Spell that Starswirl the bearded failed to complete. They just kind of pulled it out of nowhere. There are also a lot of other things that irked me in this episode. The mane 6 (except twilight) didn't seem to question this whole ordeal, they just went along and helped Twilight. Also Twilight gets wings and they're all just like "Oh neat!". This could have been a two part episode easily...oh well, I still really enjoyed the episode so I won't complain too much. 

It definity felt rushed would hace been nice to get a two parter out of it(and the whole "I got to find a way, it 's cut so short but sounds so good) was like start music, twilight noticed a problem, music she get sad , music realizes how to fix , music, twilight got vaporized, more songs, twilights an alicorn , more songs end

Edited by DaReaper

Yeap! It was a great episode but it was almost more like a musical the way they did it!

I wish it had been a 2 parter, then they could have added a bit more depth and not just tagged the coronation onto the end like they did!

But hopefully s4 1+2 will really make up for it :) Megan has already said she sees them all as more of a 3 parter :D!

• Brohoof 1

I agree. The episode just felt rushed. They were fitting two story lines (the switched cutie marks and the coronation) into one episode. A two parter could have definitely focused on each individual story, for each part. Twilight figured out the problem with her friends destiny changes way too fast. I had never felt that an episode was rushed before this one, so it felt jarringly short and incomplete. 

i too feel that it was rather rushed. i think it would've made a great two-parter. maybe delve deeper into the backstory behind the original spell? maybe have twilight take longer to figure out the solution? if it were a two-parter, i think it would've been great to end it after that touching song when she almost gave up hope (again). you know. this one:

i too feel that it was rather rushed. i think it would've made a great two-parter. maybe delve deeper into the backstory behind the original spell? maybe have twilight take longer to figure out the solution? if it were a two-parter, i think it would've been great to end it after that touching song when she almost gave up hope (again). you know. this one:

The spell was a little glossed over but so is Star Swirl's back story, as it stands we know that he made allot of spells and that's pretty much it. Did you even watch my video because the rest of your reply is a recap. It feels Rushed, it would have made a great two parter, twilight could study more into how to fix the spell, and where the first part could end. In my video instead of having twilight sing about how she cant fix things she just goes upstairs and cries. I will admit that the song would make for a dramatic ending but it could work both ways.

Edited by CultOfTheNorth

Actually, the whole time in season 3 they did build it up. In fact, it wasn't entirely "glossed over", seeing that it was expanded on in earlier episodes, just behind the scenes. If I know correctly, Luna and Celestia had the book earlier and did discuss a little of it before season 3 ended. I didn't think it was really rushed as you all would put it. I think that the content should be expanded, but rushed? Not really. They told everything they needed to tell in a way that wasn't rushed to me.

I mean:

You get why everyone's sad and you can see how the town fares.

You can view the roles each pony has.

You can even just see how guilt Twilight was.

The ending was the only thing that would have needed to really be extended and the whole spell needed it as well, but THAT would probably be explained later. 

The spell was a little glossed over but so is Star Swirl's back story, as it stands we know that he made allot of spells and that's pretty much it. Did you even watch my video because the rest of your reply is a recap. It feels Rushed, it would have made a great two parter, twilight could study more into how to fix the spell, and where the first part could end. In my video instead of having twilight sing about how she cant fix things she just goes upstairs and cries. I will admit that the song would make for a dramatic ending but it could work both ways.

That would have required lots of exposition, something they never really had time for. That type of thing only worked for the season finale for Season 2 (first part) because she was already trying to get the other ponies to reason and we walked through it closely.

If we broke it up there, as this episode stands, here it would be:

Twilight wakes and starts to see the 'normal' ponyville life until Rarity comes in with a different mark.

Twilight gets the spell book, explains the spell and leaves to bed but the elements switched.

She observes each pony doing the job they shouldn't.

Twilight gets utterly sad and her friends are in despair.

Following this, it wouldn't be a very great episode at just THAT. You still need something that would drive her to feel that way in a way that gets the person hooked for the second part. Then you would be forced to drag out the entire situation when it wasn't needed and get the ending. When she figures out the spell the resolution comes. That's the problem. Then you'd need to add things that would be dubbed as Filler and you miss the point entirely.

@@CultOfTheNorth, no, i did not watch your video. i simply posted my opinion on the given topic. i don't want to have to read every single post and video before i can make my own post.

img-1883372-1-blink.png This topic was made by me to share my video and opinion, if you wanted to give your thoughts on this episode there is a topic dedicated completely to that http://mlpforums.com/topic/49755-s03e13-magical-mystery-cure/page-60 this topic gives me feedback on my video as well as a discussion related to it. The Magical mystery cure topic could talk about anything related to the episode.img-1883372-2-happy.png

@@Scootadress Do you make pony videos because you seem like the perfect person for it. img-1883372-3-biggrin.png

Edited by CultOfTheNorth

blink.png This topic was made by me to share my video and opinion, if you wanted to give your thoughts on this episode there is a topic dedicated completely to that http://mlpforums.com/topic/49755-s03e13-magical-mystery-cure/page-60 this topic gives me feedback on my video as well as a discussion and the Magical mystery cure topic could talk about anything related to the episode.happy.png

@@Scootadress Do you make pony videos because you seem like the perfect person for it. biggrin.png

Thanks for that, I would try to make pony videos, but, I have a speech impediment and it makes it hard to speak face to face, even worse to a video recorder or my computer. I did try. I might try making entries about stuff like this though! ^^

I do agree with the fact that this could have been a two parter, but part of me feels there was another reason that this episode was rushed the way it was. For what (and if there was a) reason we will probably never know. Though I did enjoy the songs in this episode quite a lot.

Edited by Xelphos

I remember the first time I saw that that it felt rushed to me, like they took 2 episodes of script and cut it down to 1.  I guess it was so they would have more time, or needed more time, to work on Equistria Girls.  Though I did like the episode overall I think it would have been far better as a 2 parter. 

I agree, I think they could have stretched it out some. But while typing this post, I thought to myself that maybe they slightly rushed the Finale so Season 4 could start out fresh, with Twilight just becoming an Alicorn. That...and maybe they were trying to focus on Equestria Girls? Bah, I dunno. It would have been cooler to see a second part but...hey! What if the Season 4 premiere is like the second half to the Season 3 finale? There we go! Positive thinking! :D

I agree, I think they could have stretched it out some. But while typing this post, I thought to myself that maybe they slightly rushed the Finale so Season 4 could start out fresh, with Twilight just becoming an Alicorn. That...and maybe they were trying to focus on Equestria Girls? Bah, I dunno. It would have been cooler to see a second part but...hey! What if the Season 4 premiere is like the second half to the Season 3 finale? There we go! Positive thinking! biggrin.png

Meghan McCarthy actually said that the Season 3 Finale was like a three parter in one of her tweets.

EDIT: 

I consider the season finale of #MLPFIM a 3-parter. #bronies just won't get to see parts 2 and 3 for awhile. But it will be worth the wait.

Edited by Xelphos