Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Revy ~ Two Hands

Version 1 vs Version 2? Or PSO 1 vs PSO2? Cause I doubt many people have played PSO2

That said I prefer PSO v1, I just like the story a bit more

Edited by Megas75

Never play either PSO so...

The only RPGs that have been taking up my time recently have been Final Fantasy XIV and Disgaea D2. One MMO, two grindfests, but I just can't get enough >_<. 

I really want to play the persona series a lot. 

I never got around to playing 1 and 2 but I love 3 and 4 (4 a little more since it's a little less dramatic). Now I just have the long, long wait for Persona 5 (and maybe playing the first few games of the spin off series eventually).

As of right now I am playing through Tales of Vesperia on the 360 and I am really enjoying that one a lot so far.

I love the Tales of series. I'm still a little miffed that I can't play Tales of Vesparia: Bamco hopping around with the console exclusivity and I don't want to go buy a 360 just for Vesparia. Still, the Tales of series has some great games; I just wish I had a group of friends to play the games with :/ .

• 2 weeks later...

Hm, never played Phantasy Star Online, if I somehow come across a GC copy though I'd probably get it. :lol:

I've played a lot of JRPGs though, one of my favorite genres. Some of my favorites would probably be:

Pokémon series

Chrono Trigger

Final Fantasy IV

Tales of Symphonia

Paper Mario 1&2

Baten Kaitos

Skies of Arcadia

Fire Emblem series

The Last Story

Golden Sun

Xenoblade Chronicles(best one ever made, imo)

Amazing genre, modern output hasn't been as great though. Coming up though, Bravely Default and X look good.

• Brohoof 2

Totally fell in love with the genre again thanks to the Hyperdimension series, it really brings back memories of when jrpg's were more raw in essense and gameplay. Maybe, I liked it a bit to much if the only reason I got a Vita was to play some more of the games in the series...

Also, anyone got any suggestions of Rpg's for the PSX? I've started my own little collection recently, so suggestions would be appreciated.

Edited by SrFrog

I've started playing rpg's on my psp so any suggestions (casual games prefered)leave em below. I also want to start reviewing Japanese RPG's on the famicom and superfamicom that where never exported to the West so required a English fan page to play. So many great jrpg's that are finally getting a chance to be be played in the West.

I've played a lot of JRPGs from Final Fantasy to Persona. Persona 3 Portable is one of my favourite games ever, actually. I know that a lot of people prefer the storyline to P4, but P3P just felt a lot better to me. It's the only game I nearly got all the Personas on (I was on 96% and then circumstances happened and I lost my save.)

The only reason I got a Vita was for Persona 4 Golden.

@@SrFrog, I've only just started playing the Hyperdimension games. I'm enjoying them so far though.

Also, I love the Atelier series. I do know a lot of people hate those games though!

Edited by Emerald Scribe

Clearly, the answer to what the best Phantasy Star is Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium or Phantasy Star (the original for the SMS). Granted, for the online ones I would say PSO v1 also. In addition, if you haven't played the original Phantasy Star, I would highly recommend it. Whilst dated by today's standards, I really think it is one of the breakout RPG's of the era. It features one of gaming's first female leads, and actually large in scope story for the era. She starts her quest not because of a longing for adventure, but instead it's more focused on getting revenge for the death of her brother. Anyway, it was released in translated form in North America and Europe, and is widely available through legal means as it is available on the Wii Virtual Console, and as unlockable game on Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection for the 360 and PS3.

I love JRPGs. I haven't played a whole lot of them though. Some ones I can think of that I enjoy are 

• Final Fantasy 
  • Pokemon
  • Fire Emblem 

I play a lot of American RPGs (Fallout, Elder Scrolls), so it's nice to take a break from those and play a JPRG every once in a while.

Playing Eternal Sonata at the moment. The Xbox had a surprisingly decent amount of solid JRPGs like Eternal Sonata, Blue Dragon, and Lost Odyssey

I typically hate using the terms "JRPG" and "WRPG" as to me they are little more than regional identifiers though they are used so often it's really hard to deny the way they are used. The problem comes when people use them in a derogatory manner which just pisses me off.

I'm a huge RPG fan. I rarely care what type they are though I find ones that are not anime-influenced can be quite dull.

Right now I'm switching off between Dragon's Dogma (which is pretty boring when you're not in the mood for it) and just started a new game on Demon's Souls and doing a magey route. Always used a swordslinger in past playthroughs so giving it a go.

My favorite RPG series' are Shin Megami Tensei, Kingdom Hearts and Wild Arms though. Used to be just WA, then I played the entirety of the KH series, then I played some of the major SMT games and now they all pretty much tie for first place in my book.

Favorite SMT: Nocturne.

Favorite Wild Arms: Tie between 2 and 3.

Favorite Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance.

LONG LIVE THE RPG.

I just can't keep away when I'm playing Final Fantasy, it's a really great game for a JRPG since I never had the opportunity to play other JRPGs so that game is on the top of my list.

I love RPGS. Especially ones from ATLUS and NIS. Can't complete the compendium in persona 4 golden for vita. That Flipping Beach Guardian is IMPOSSIBLE to catch. I will never max the hermit social link and I will always only have 99% of the compendium. -_-. Fortunately Persona 5 is coming out this winter in Japan. :)

I'm currently trying to play Persona 3 Portable but it is a little more frustrating than persona 4. The shadows that are on every 20 or so floors are hard to beat unless you GRIND and GRIND and GRIND.

Oh. Disgaea 4: The Return is coming to vita this year too. I'll be looking forward to that and all the DLCs I never got to enjoy on the PS3 version. :)

Which brings me to a topic:

What do you guys think of BUILT-IN DLC? You know, when the DLC is already on the disc but then a code unlocks it. I hate that. If it is on the disc, let me use it and don't try to juice me out of my money!

Edited by Judgement

Version 1 vs Version 2? Or PSO 1 vs PSO2? Cause I doubt many people have played PSO2?

That said I prefer PSO v1, I just like the story a bit more

Dude! I even started a thread a few days ago asking if any bronies want to join me in PLAYING PSO2.

Still open for that btw. Anyone game?

I can't wait for PSO2 to come to the US. I played the shit out of the first one until I was sick of it. Didn't help that I could never access the online of it though so it got boring playing through the same story and levels over and over and over and over again.

The second one looks like an absolute improvement on the first.

I can't wait for PSO2 to come to the US. I played the shit out of the first one until I was sick of it. Didn't help that I could never access the online of it though so it got boring playing through the same story and levels over and over and over and over again.

The second one looks like an absolute improvement on the first.

Um....wow not sure how to break this to you bro but they actually announced they were canceling the US release. Either buck up and play the Japanese version using the awesome English Patch or just never play it at all. And even if they hadn't canceled it, you would still be over two years behind.

Um....wow not sure how to break this to you bro but they actually announced they were canceling the US release. Either buck up and play the Japanese version using the awesome English Patch or just never play it at all. And even if they hadn't canceled it, you would still be over two years behind.

Have they indeed? Huh. Weird that I'm so far behind. I keep up with gaming news pretty constantly. Guess no one cared enough to put this announcement into any news outlets I follow and Wikipedia (which is usually pretty dead on about game release dates) says TBA for NA.

Oh well, guess I can cross that game off my list. I'm mainly a console gamer anyway so I don't exactly have a PC strong enough to play much.

Have they indeed? Huh. Weird that I'm so far behind. I keep up with gaming news pretty constantly. Guess no one cared enough to put this announcement into any news outlets I follow and Wikipedia (which is usually pretty dead on about game release dates) says TBA for NA.

Oh well, guess I can cross that game off my list. I'm mainly a console gamer anyway so I don't exactly have a PC strong enough to play much.

Or just join us on Skype and play the Jap version with the English Patch. How hard is that concept? >>

Because I don't feel the need to put that much effort into a game that I merely have a passing interest in and also I don't like listening to Japanese voices if I can help it. There are thousands of other games out there for me to play that are actually available to me and I'm far more interested in.

Oh and I don't like to play multiplayer in any way. My interest in PSO2 would drop to zero if it was multiplayer only with no way to play by myself.

Edited by Discordian

Because I don't feel the need to put that much effort into a game that I merely have a passing interest in and also I don't like listening to Japanese voices if I can help it. There are thousands of other games out there for me to play that are actually available to me and I'm far more interested in.

Oh and I don't like to play multiplayer in any way. My interest in PSO2 would drop to zero if it was multiplayer only with no way to play by myself.

What's so bad about japanese voices? Their language is ok so I don't see what your problem is. Also, I think you're doing MMO's wrong bro.

What's so bad about japanese voices? Their language is ok so I don't see what your problem is. Also, I think you're doing MMO's wrong bro.

Because I can't understand them.

And I don't play MMOs precisely because they are multiplayer. My only actual in PSO2 is because I had played the first one, offline.

Hm, never played Phantasy Star Online, if I somehow come across a GC copy though I'd probably get it. :lol:

I've played a lot of JRPGs though, one of my favorite genres. Some of my favorites would probably be:

Pokémon series

Chrono Trigger

Final Fantasy IV

Tales of Symphonia

Paper Mario 1&2

Baten Kaitos

Skies of Arcadia

Fire Emblem series

The Last Story

Golden Sun

Xenoblade Chronicles(best one ever made, imo)

Amazing genre, modern output hasn't been as great though. Coming up though, Bravely Default and X look good.

Yeah I'm sooooooooooooooooo addicted to Tales of Symphonia right now, I'm onto the second disc :o I'm gonna Cosplay as Presea at insomnia in summer :D