Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Asexuals?

FlitterFlutter

That is, this is coming from a Christian who has done no actual research of his own.

My research and knowledge tells me sexuality can be changed. Perhaps those gay born-agains are lying, or perhaps I just don't like overreligious people. But it has been done by people who did it for reasons other than publicity. In fact, as I recall (though I wasn't born yet, this is from oral family history) my sister was in fact heterosexual until she switched after high school.

All of the scientific research out there stats you can't change your sexuality.  Not sure what research you've been seeing.  I read the bio of your sister you posted. Based off what you said she doesn't sound like an asexual.  She seems more like a person who put her career and school ahead of sex and relationships.  If you want to go do that too thats fine, just don't call yourself asexual just because sex is not a priority in your life.  

Based on what I said before, you became heterosexual when you learned what sex was at the age of three. On the subject of mirror neurons, my research implies (not that I can understand 100% of the wording) that they are less concerned with changing oneself and more with learning things:

This is wrong. The placebo effect is not caused directly by the social stimuli, but by the fact that the recipient believes it. The recipient creates the thought that "this will work," thereby making it work.

First part: you're right. I should rephrase that. You opened your mind to the crazy new idea, and subconsciously held onto it rather than understanding there's actually loads of problems with it.

I'm not linking drug addiction to placebos. I'm saying that drug addicts choose to go with whatever drug they're hooked to, and then they can't let go - just like people who go to crazy sexualities.

First of all, no, I didn't become heterosexual, I thought I was heterosexual because I simply never had any experience with other sexualities. It simply was chance that I never came in contact with them, until later in my life when I did start to understand what sexuality really is. Hell, I didn't even know there was anything besides heterosexuality until I actually met more people.

Mirror neural activity isn't about learning new things, it's about the stimulation of the same neurons for a certain activity just by observing and/or thinking about it.

Secondly, I said created through social stimuli, not caused directly. And I hope you're aware that placebo and nocebo effects only seems to work on about one-third of the population? Google is your friend here.

I didn't open my mind to a crazy new idea, and subconsciously held onto it. I realized who I was, and became open about it. And sorry, but you're being insulting yet again. I'm 19, very curious in the fields of biology, psychology, neuroscience, physics and chemistry. If there would be any problems with my sexuality, I would know it. Frankly, I'm getting the feeling you perceive people with a different sexuality as sexually deviant and strange, as outcasts.

Again, crazy sexualities. Plus you're making no sense here.

Alright, so now, let's shoot for the uncertain. I'm going to act like a total idiot and want your answers on the things you seem to understand, but don't really feel like explaining, or so it seems.

Could you tell me what exactly happens with exciting and inhibiting neurotransmitters when met with an effective placebo? Let's keep that one only to the central neural system, shall we? Might take too long otherwise.

Problems with my sexuality? I would assume that you'd at least name 3, instead of acting like everybody sees it, because frankly, besides people who are holding on to some code, I don't think anyone sees the "problems" you see with my "crazy sexuality". Because I have yet to encounter ANY problem in the past years I've realized I'm pansexual.

Finally, in what way do drug addicts choose the drug they're hooked on? Could you please explain the biological difference between physical dependency and mental dependency, let's assume that mental addiction does exist, that should make it a whole lot easier. 

Edited by SkyBound
Off-Topic

This topic has gone slightly off-the-rails, so everyone please make it a point to stay on tangent.  The topic is merely seeking out other asexual individuals and not trying to start a controversy on the subject.  If anyone wishes to debate this topic further, please feel free to take it to the Debate Pit section.  Thank you.

• Brohoof 4

Ending this long and unnecessary heated debate on how sexuality can or cannot be changed, I am an asexual myself, but not aromantic. As of now, and as has been most of my life, I have no desire whatsoever to ever engage in sexual intercourse, but I DO feel romantic feelings toward others of the opposite sex.

Heteromantic, but asexual all the way through.

• Brohoof 5

I am asexual. People at my school call me "gay" if I tell them that. I just don't want to be married. I'm not interested in either sex. Why is that "gay"!? People are so cruel. I just want to explore the world. No kids, no wife. I just want to roam and be SOLO (with maybe my friends at my side if they want to go somewhere new too). I would be much more happy that way. ;) Nobody ever understands me. Sigh. Three girls at my highschool are the ones calling me gay for not wanting to be married.

I myself am unsure about my sexual attractions. Am I bi? Am I straight? Am I gay? I honestly have no clue. I'm fine with all body parts, but I'm just not interested in sex or sexual activity at all. That is why I am saying I am Asexual. I don't want to be married, and I don't want to have a girlfriend.

I'm certainly something unique I guess...

Edited by Judgement
  • Brohoof 3

I am asexual. People at my school call me "gay" if I tell them that. I just don't want to be married. I'm not interested in either sex. Why is that "gay"!? People are so cruel. I just want to explore the world. No kids, no wife. I just want to roam and be SOLO (with maybe my friends at my side if they want to go somewhere new too). I would be much more happy that way. ;) Nobody ever understands me. Sigh. Three girls at my highschool are the ones calling me gay for not wanting to be married.

I myself am unsure about my sexual attractions. Am I bi? Am I straight? Am I gay? I honestly have no clue. I'm fine with all body parts, but I'm just not interested in sex or sexual activity at all. That is why I am saying I am Asexual. I don't want to be married, and I don't want to have a girlfriend.

I completely understand I feel the same way. And like you where saying about people giving you crap about. try not to worry about it, it just means that they are insecure do what makes you happy not what outer people want you to do. 

• Brohoof 2

• 1 year later...
(edited)

For a good portion of my teenage years I was aesexual all the way. I didn't see a point to sexual activities, in fact, I found it degenerate and offensive. A few curious internet clicks on websites I had been surfing for a long time and avoided such content on and I found that I in fact was in deep denial. I embrace it now, but I still understand and relate to aesexuals and support them in almost the same way I was before.

Edited by IncognitoKiwoy

For a good portion of my teenage years I was aesexual all the way. I didn't see a point to it, in fact, I found it degenerate and offensive. A few curious internet clicks on websites I had been surfing for a long time and avoided such content on and I found that I in fact was in deep denial. I embrace it now, but I still understand and relate to aesexuals and support them in almost the same way I was before.

I am not trying to sound mean but what are you talking about?

I'm the opposite of Asexual, but I understand it. You don't want to have sex with anyone. Like I'm fine with doing anyone as long as it isn't rape (though I prefer men). At one time I wished I was ace, but I can't wish a sexual orientation on myself. I sort of like women, and I love men.

I don't know any asexuals personally though...

• Brohoof 1

So, how does everyone feel about the term 'gray asexuality'? 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray_asexuality#Definitions

I've been met with hostility on some sites for identifying as this, seeing others refer to it as 'Tumblr propaganda'.

to me identify as whatever you want, however I get the anger, because in a since it is like saying I am only gay sometimes, or something like that.

(edited)

Yeah, me! (if not 100% ace, then at least demi/grey-asexual) :D

I've never had an attraction to anyone.
'But Delernil,' you might say, 'what about that one girl in that thread?' Yah. No. I never did. She liked me though, so...

Yeah. I've never had any interest in sex nor have I ever liked anyone, or sex. Am I an asexual? I don't know, maybe

I don't know if someone else has already replied, but the fact you've never liked someone probably makes you asexual AND aromantic :)

I don't want to be married, and I don't want to have a girlfriend.

You too :D

t is like saying I am only gay sometimes, or something like that.

That would make you bi/pansexual btw XD

Edited by Hibiscus Bloom
  • Brohoof 1

to me identify as whatever you want, however I get the anger, because in a since it is like saying I am only gay sometimes, or something like that.

I understand that part, but the way I explain it is that, 95% of the time, I'm not sexually attracted to anyone, and I've never really felt a desire to orgasm. It's rare when I actually want to have sex. : P Instead, I feel a strong desire to get someone else off, without any regards to my own.

I choose gray-A cuz I don't know what the hell to call that. xD

I am not trying to sound mean but what are you talking about?

What's so hard to understand? Can you be more specific so I can clarify?

What's so hard to understand? Can you be more specific so I can clarify?

well you never said what you where talking about like what did you find on said web sight, what was offensive about being Asexual?

(edited)

well you never said what you where talking about like what did you find on said web sight, what was offensive about being Asexual?

I said I used to think being sexual was offensive. Now looking back however, I perhaps I should've replaced a vague "it" with sexuality. But since I stated I used to be aesexual, it was my intention.

Edited by IncognitoKiwoy
  • Brohoof 1

I'm the opposite of Asexual, but I understand it. You don't want to have sex with anyone. Like I'm fine with doing anyone as long as it isn't rape (though I prefer men). At one time I wished I was ace, but I can't wish a sexual orientation on myself. I sort of like women, and I love men.

Yeah, it's not really possible to wish an orientation on yourself. I'm definitely glad you're not ace though.  ;)

I'm pretty obviously not asexual, I'm about as far from it as it comes, being pansexual I like sex with just about anyone. In my mind it's just a fun thing for two or more people to do together. But I can understand it, it's just not how I feel.

Yeah, it's not really possible to wish an orientation on yourself. I'm definitely glad you're not ace though.  ;)

I'm pretty obviously not asexual, I'm about as far from it as it comes, being pansexual I like sex with just about anyone. In my mind it's just a fun thing for two or more people to do together. But I can understand it, it's just not how I feel.

I have been able to tell that. I know you love your sex. It's great too for me that you love your sex, because my body likes it a lot.

well that is good, it seems unfortunately most straight people or just most people for some reason just cant understand Asexuals, i am glade that at least some people can though.