Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Horror Movies: Better in America?

Fire_Fly

Clearly you've all forgotten the true winner here, Death Bed, the bed that eats people!

Posted Image

I've read a Stephen King story about a truck that eats people, but that? That's just epic...

I must admit that most American remakes of Japanese movies are AWFUL. For example, One Missed Call. Japanese version KICKED BUTT but the white people version.... DeargawdNOOOOO! KILL IT BEFORE IT LAYS EGGS!!

America has some really amazing horror movies! (I am a huge horror fan). But my favorite country for horror movies is Japan! I adore Jhorror!

Psychological horror > Gore/shock horror

That's all I have to say.

This. And also I prefer horror shows with the classic supernatural stuff rather those with limbs being hacked off.

And crossovers between horror and other genres like Blade, Underworld, and Interview with the Vampire (but no Twilight, please)

Which are better? American horror movies or Imported horror movies?

I don't know much about European-made horror movies, but

British ones: The few that I've seen aren't very good, but I liked Todd Sweeney, and am looking forward to Woman in Black this year (starring Daniel Radcliffe)

American ones: I actually like the Stephen King miniseries (Rose Red, Kingdom Hospital, started watching Haven too), Silent Hill, Sleepy Hollow, The Exorcist, Blair With Project and similar, 13 Ghosts (funny stuff), The Others, Edward Scissorhands, The Crow, the Hannibal Lecter series and Nightmare on Elm Street. Of course there's tons of crap movies too :(

Japanese/Korean ones: Asian horror films tend to focus on the psychological effect and leave things unexplained at the end, which I think makes a better horror film than the American way of trying to explain and "scientify" the supernatural elements. However, they tend to be repetitive and use the same formula over and over again. My favorites are (and I mean the originals, not the Hollywood remakes) the Ring, Ju-On (the Grudge), the Red Shoes, Red Eye, Shutter and the Eye.

Guillermo Del Toro films: He has a habit of mixing traditional fantasy with horror. Not sure of what to think of his films as of yet, but they are quite different from a lot of the better known stuff on market.

From other parts of the world: Never watched any, but I'd welcome suggestions

• Brohoof 1

Hit the nail right on the head there. I like Japanese horror movies because they typically attack from a psychological angle. It's not all shock value and dark rooms with people jumping out at you. Any horror movie that's enough to psychologically rattle me is a successful movie in my book.

Ah horror movies. The kind of movies were people get killed. Japanese ones can be extremely graphic such as Guinea Pig 2 Flowers Of Flesh And Blood and Naked Blood. But some early 80s Italian horror films are the most shocking, realistic and scariest ones ever. Don't get me started on Cannibal Holocaust.

• 2 years later...

*clears throat* okay, so the deal with imported horror movies vs. american horror movies, is many different countries have different standards for what is scary, but what we all fear most, is losing our humanity, England, for example has many horror movies take place in the city, because that's familiar, but the industrial revolution changed all that, orphans having to work their childhoods away, men and women thrown into debters prison, etc., but on our side of the world, we did all of our filthy immoral stuff on the outskirts of society, killing the native Americans, the horrors of slavery. werewolves, vampires, zombies, we fear them because they take our humanity. but movies today have sort of, trampled on those fears, what we fear now, is still inhumane beings, but we place those fears, with aliens, because in the back of our minds we fear that one day, everything, all of our technological progress will be stamped out by a force that is superior to us, it happened to the civilizations of south america, why not us? but that is fairly irrelevant for the conversation currently, the point I am trying to make is that while we may have the same standards for fear, we do not have the same ways of showing it, which is why without really, being in that country, it's not like judging, say the last James Bond movie, we have to look into the cultural background of the movie to see if by the standards of fear in their country, would it be scary? if we look there, it could be, or not. who knows.

but going into like, a french horror movie with my personal knowledge, I would have to say, yeah, it's still pretty scary. 

I'm going to say, that imported movies are still dang good.