Why do some Bronies take FIM to the extreme?

Rarity Paige Belle

I like FIM a lot. For a cartoon made for girls it's very entertaining. However some of the things I've seen on the net take things a bit too far. It's one thing going to conventions (I also collect vinyl so I've been to a lot of fairs) but to listen to music about FIM and posting in depth reviews on YouTube about individual episodes? Is that not going too far?

I could argue it's just the opposite. Going to a convention seems like a big event while listening to music/making videos is just something you could do casually.

Besides, what's wrong with being passionate about something? Some people definitely take it too far but I don't think that qualifies. There's actually some really good content out there as a result. :)

• Brohoof 10

Not at all.

1. One of the greatest things about the fandom is the ability to show off the craft, one of them via music. There are so many fantastic brony musicians out there, and they make brony music in response to adoring the show. When they release the music and other bronies download or buy them, that's a good thing. I listen to some brony music because quite a bit of it is very good.
  2. Just because FIM is a family show doesn't mean it's above analysis, positive or negative. FIM is a quality show with plenty of layers for the most part, and it's these layers that the analysis community find and dissect. Contrary to what plenty of the anti-analysis critics (both here and offsite) claim, FIM isn't a cartoon "just for little girls." It's for all ages. If the evidence strengthens the writing, that's good, like Return of Harmony, Magic Duel, Winter Wrap-Up, Hurricane Fluttershy, and Rarity Takes Manehattan. If it doesn't (Mare-Do-Well, Rainbow Falls, every Spike-centered episode except Secret of My Excess), then it should be criticized.

By giving these reviews and analyses, then they're telling DHX they have standards. If the writing sucks, the reviews that slam the work means they expect better from them. Family TV enforces or dispels certain cultures, and kids especially are very sensitive to them. Therefore, FIM should be put under higher standards, not lower. The analysis community is there to enforce them.
Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 16

I think that's all pretty cool, actually. Adds more depth to the fandom. I don't personally find reviews and Brony music to be that entertaining, but I love conventions and any sort of social events. I wouldn't say it's going too far though, not at all. Marrying a Twilight Sparkle plush, however, would be an example of taking it too far.

Edited by Modphase
  • Brohoof 2

Something I've found kinda stupid myself is on DeviantArt, there is a certain user who posts these overly in-depth reviews of each episode after they are aired and his reviews always make it to the front page of the site, sitting among the people who have actually worked hard on their pieces and have earned their place on the front page. I find it rather unfair that he writes an angry paragraph and yet he manages to sit among the best, while those who have actually worked hard on their art lost that spot on the front page to him.

A lot of bronies I know spend way too much time and money on ponies, from $500 plushies, to fursuits and convention tickets... It's one thing when they have like, one or two plushies and have gone to one con... but when they have a room full of expensive pony merchandise, a full custom fursuit, and go to all the conventions ever... Then I say no to that.

• Brohoof 1

Because of my profession, I don't get much time to get involved in fandoms. Although i do collect records and i hate to admit this but yes, I am a trainspotter!

You want to see some serious "diving", look at Star Trek, Star Wars, Halo, DBZ (or just anime in general), just to name a few.

Listen to pony music? I do that on a daily basis.In fact i'm listening to brony original music right now. (Not remixed stuff).

Fan made stuff is one of many reasons why I got into this fandom. From merch to music to fanfics. As for conventions, in reality, they're just big expensive brony meets.

Going too far would be claiming a certain pony as your waifu. Oh wait...

• Brohoof 5

A lot of bronies I know spend way too much time and money on ponies, from $500 plushies, to fursuits and convention tickets... It's one thing when they have like, one or two plushies and have gone to one con... but when they have a room full of expensive pony merchandise, a full custom fursuit, and go to all the conventions ever... Then I say no to that.

Hmm, maybe they're just good guys with a lot of money, and have a hobby for these things.

• Brohoof 1

Well there is a point when buying all that stuff just becomes obsessive and wasteful.

No offense, but I don't think you should tell anyone how to live their lives. If it doesn't affect you why do you care?

• Brohoof 3

Not at all. You just made it sound more like you were stating a fact.

Well I'm glad we have it sorted out. It's okay that people have hobbies, but to me, it just seems like investing that much money into ponies is... yeah... wasteful.

It's just what I think on the situation, is it wrong to have an opinion?

Just because you post an opinion doesn't mean you won't get criticized for being ill-informed.

Well there is a point when buying all that stuff just becomes obsessive and wasteful.

Except it really isn't. One big thing about fandom activity is how it's sometimes a pretty expensive hobby. In conventions is a vendor hall, where the bronies have a boatload of merchandise for you to buy. Some of it can be very expensive like the plushies. But if its value is worth the high price, depending on the budget, then they'll buy it.

And there are dozens and dozens of people who will spend some cash to buy high-end fandom merchandise, but have very normal lives anyway. Really, as long as you have the room and your hobby doesn't interfere with your livelihood, there's nothing wrong to show off your fandom via the plenty of high-priced merchandise.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 4

Just because you post an opinion doesn't mean you won't get criticized for being ill-informed.

Except it really isn't. One big thing about fandom activity is how it's sometimes a pretty expensive hobby. In conventions is a vendor hall, where the bronies have a boatload of merchandise for you to buy. Some of it can be very expensive like the plushies. But if its value is worth the high price, depending on the budget, then they'll buy it.

Really, as long as you have the room and your hobby doesn't interfere with your livelihood, there's nothing wrong to show off your fandom via the plenty of high-priced merchandise.

Yeah man, I get that. There just comes a point when you'll look back and wish you hadn't spent all that money on merchandise. What if the fandom dies? What if a tough situation comes up, and those thousands of dollars spent on ponies could have saved your life, family, or home? I'm not saying it's wrong to buy pony stuff, you guys are twisting my words. I'm just saying that there comes a point when it becomes a bit too much. That maybe you should stop and think about your next purchase before throwing your money at Hasbro or some pony-related thing. Again, it's not WRONG to buy pony things. It just gets ridiculous after a while. Okay? Okay.