Are you a good judge of character?

FatalRain

Are your first impressions of people generally accurate?

What are somethings you may judge someone by when first meeting them?

I started thinking yesterday that I'm a terrible judge of character ^^'

I always give people the benefit of the doubt, even when I get bad vibes about them

and tend to end up getting close to all the wrong people without realizing how terrible they are

When first meeting people, I generally judge them by how they dress, what their hair looks like and how they speak

Not in a bad way, but more so as a way to reflect them

For example, if someone wears band tee's, I can talk to them about music and such

Yes. This kid was obsessed with my sister so I thought he was a pervert. When my mom invited him in he was constantly trying to go in my sister's room and touch her clothing.

Tom V.S. Boulder: Who will win?

Yes. After learning the hard way that some people are just in it for themselves, I've acquired a skill for picking out people with good intentions.

The one thing I can never seem to judge accurately is peoples' musical preferences. That always stumps me.

Yes.

I finally know that judgement is useful for judging things. Who knew?!

Edited by Harmonic Revelations
  • Brohoof 2

Signature.png

Yes I am. I have a talent of seeing between the lines, and I haven't been wrong about people. I can tell if they're going to be decent people, or some huge douche in the first five minutes.

76561198044017234.png
Feel free to add me on steam if you want to play something. Also don't be afraid to message and talk to me. I've had bad luck when I start a conversation, so I more then likely won't start one.

Yes. After learning the hard way that some people are just in it for themselves, I've acquired a skill for picking out people with good intentions.

The one thing I can never seem to judge accurately is peoples' musical preferences. That always stumps me.

I finally know that judgement is useful for judging things. Who knew?!

Music preferences can be very tough

you have the people that stick to one genre because they haven't explored others enough or really can't stand them for one reason or another

then you have the people that listen to a bit of everything

I would say so, but I don't judge often. I'm not the type to accept a certain preference, I'm okay with anypony.

I try to be okay with everypony but some people are just...a huge face-palm

A judge of good character? Honestly, I wouldn't be able to tell if the guy isn't actually a criminal or if the guy is truly genial. For me, as long as they are good in my books, that is as far as my concern about what they do, unless it correlates to me. And I am easily swayed if one interests me enough. All in all, I am horrible, absolutely horrible at judging characters.

598x98_by_demirari-d73zvcv.jpg

It depends. I don't think anyone is a good judge of character based purely on first impressions, since it is impossible to fully capture every aspect of one person just in a few fleeting moments. It's impossible to judge anything when you've had such little time to interact with it. So, I believe it is impossible to be a good "judge of character" as defined by this post without making a fair amount of assumptions.

That being said, when it comes to judging character overall (after a month or two of knowing someone - interacting with them regularly enough to get to know them), then I do believe I am a good judge of character, at least from the perspective of who I will get along with or not.

• Brohoof 1

It depends. I don't think anyone is a good judge of character based purely on first impressions, since it is impossible to fully capture every aspect of one person just in a few fleeting moments. It's impossible to judge anything when you've had such little time to interact with it. So, I believe it is impossible to be a good "judge of character" as defined by this post without making a fair amount of assumptions.

That being said, when it comes to judging character overall (after a month or two of knowing someone - interacting with them regularly enough to get to know them), then I do believe I am a good judge of character, at least from the perspective of who I will get along with or not.

This actually makes a lot of sense and I'm not sure why I haven't much thought about it before now

I should not have any expectations of judgements of a person in a good or bad view until after a few months of knowing them

and I definitely shouldn't bond with them until a clear judgement can be made

• Brohoof 1

This actually makes a lot of sense and I'm not sure why I haven't much thought about it before now

I should not have any expectations of judgements of a person in a good or bad view until after a few months of knowing them

and I definitely shouldn't bond with them until a clear judgement can be made

It's always a good idea to reserve judgement until you feel confident about your judgement. You shouldn't dislike or rule out someone as a potential friend just because of some bad first impression. That being said, you shouldn't open up to someone just because they leave a great first impression - proceeding with caution is the best idea with new people, I find.

It's always a good idea to reserve judgement until you feel confident about your judgement. You shouldn't dislike or rule out someone as a potential friend just because of some bad first impression. That being said, you shouldn't open up to someone just because they leave a great first impression - proceeding with caution is the best idea with new people, I find.

Well, as I said, I'm too open to friendship and really ought to be more cautious with trying to make friends

I think from now on, it would be wise to not exchange more personal or thoughtful matters with people I hardly know

Well, as I said, I'm too open to friendship and really ought to be more cautious with trying to make friends

I think from now on, it would be wise to not exchange more personal or thoughtful matters with people I hardly know

Not necessarily. Sometimes the best way to figure something out about someone is by giving them a bit of information yourself, opening up to them as a sign of goodwill.

That being said, knowing how much to open up, and how often, is where first impressions can come in handy. First impressions can tell you if someone is -likely- to be friendly or otherwise. You just shouldn't rely on them 100%. Treat them as they are - a guess.

We'll i don't know if i judge but i help people as i could and they start being mean towards me while i help...and we'll pepole judged me by my age and how i act most people say i act 8,13 and some say I'm not 16 years old (I am really 16 years old) and one said i act immature and when they say I'm immature means there very immature and that one who judged me by saying I'm immature they are defiantly very immature they think shanks means another term they made up and that is word slang and the terms shanks means somebody using a kinfe on a person shanking them with it. I try too help her say freinds or best friends on the coustoum page of her's in deviantart she was 14 years old and now shes 15 years old and still got her coustum page saying shanks she hrasses me and accusses me and usely teens that age are stupid I'm not saying all of them that age is stupid. I went through the stage of stupid when i was 14,15 but i stopped being that stupid some month when i was 15 years old.

Edited by Lightfire

246rhut.jpg

I'm rather quick to tell people if I like them or not, no bullshizzle.

Edited by Guest

To be completely honest I'm awful when it comes to judging others, because I'm usually wrong or judge other people in the wrong way so I assume that they're much worse then they really are. 

I also (not very proud of this) tend to judge people when I first meet them out from their appearance and also what they say.

I'm not so arrogant as to say that I am a good judge of character. Humans are complex, and being able to completely judge the character of a human, especially online, is incredibly rare. First impressions are rarely, contrary to what popular belief might tell you, a good way of judging a character. A person who might be shy at first could be a social butterfly. A person who seems like an asshole could, in fact, be quite well-mannered.

Although I would say that I am an awful judge of character as I always judge the negatives of a person, no matter how slight they are, over the positives. Not to mention my fleeting misanthropic urges lead to me being naturally biased against a persons character.

"It is a Yorkshire habit to say what you think with blunt frankness." - Frances Hodgson Burnett

THEY CALLED ME THE BIG FELLAH. NOW I GO BY AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT NAME.

• 10 years later...
On 2014-03-14 at 8:12 PM, FatalRain said:

Are your first impressions of people generally accurate?

What are somethings you may judge someone by when first meeting them?

I started thinking yesterday that I'm a terrible judge of character ^^'

I always give people the benefit of the doubt, even when I get bad vibes about them

and tend to end up getting close to all the wrong people without realizing how terrible they are

When first meeting people, I generally judge them by how they dress, what their hair looks like and how they speak

Not in a bad way, but more so as a way to reflect them

For example, if someone wears band tee's, I can talk to them about music and such

I’m now 26, I think I am indeed a good judge of character, I like to talk to people :), I still help as I can, & I try to no longer let unkind people bug me :).

At the time, I didn’t understand myself/ and unkind people bug me, then.

I also say you’re fine! We’ll from at least the glimpses of what, I’ve read that you said so far, unless you judging people are different. I also understand that this is an old forum but I just want to see how I improved, & Read, more better because I misunderstand a lot, especially when I was a teenager back in 2014 :).

• Thanks 1

246rhut.jpg

I think I’m a good judge of character. A lot can be discerned by body language and facial expression, without the person even saying anything. What they wear and how they carry themselves are also good indicators. There’s an established scientific study behind reading facial expressions and physical attributes and how they equate to certain personality traits, and I’m told it’s very accurate, so there must be something behind it. These little tip-offs are necessary to appraising other humans, and I believe that’s why this unsung science exists. It’s just like finding someone you’re attracted to, or at least have a potential connection to. Certain facial cues are there to help us recognize our ‘types.’ Other things, like shyness, swagger, speech patterns and gestures, all say something that can be detected on the surface, so it’s easy to tell if it’s worth making the effort to learn more and make a deeper connection. This of course refers to face-to-face contact. Online you only have someone’s spoken (or written) words to base things on, without the benefit of reading their physical traits. But behavior filters down into everything and with practice it isn’t that hard to read someone accurately, even online. The ability is part of human DNA.

• Excited 1
  • Hugs 1

I don't think I'm a good judge of character.  There's encryption of complexity to me that no person of the outside world nor my workplace knows its major operation.  

18 hours ago, Dreambiscuit said:

I think I’m a good judge of character. A lot can be discerned by body language and facial expression, without the person even saying anything. What they wear and how they carry themselves are also good indicators. There’s an established scientific study behind reading facial expressions and physical attributes and how they equate to certain personality traits, and I’m told it’s very accurate, so there must be something behind it. These little tip-offs are necessary to appraising other humans, and I believe that’s why this unsung science exists. It’s just like finding someone you’re attracted to, or at least have a potential connection to. Certain facial cues are there to help us recognize our ‘types.’ Other things, like shyness, swagger, speech patterns and gestures, all say something that can be detected on the surface, so it’s easy to tell if it’s worth making the effort to learn more and make a deeper connection. This of course refers to face-to-face contact. Online you only have someone’s spoken (or written) words to base things on, without the benefit of reading their physical traits. But behavior filters down into everything and with practice it isn’t that hard to read someone accurately, even online. The ability is part of human DNA.

Being that there's AI everywhere, I could hire you as an attorney to explain complicated situations to a judge @Dreambiscuit:lookup:  

• smile 1

716664449_octifluttersandstarwars.jpg.b8097d40c820f353f40695648d5a7368.jpg

Special thanks to Emerald Heart for the banner!  

5 hours ago, ZiggWheelsManning said:

Being that there's AI everywhere, I could hire you as an attorney to explain complicated situations to a judge @Dreambiscuit:lookup:  

I suppose I could offer a lot of double-talk, which is pretty much what attorneys do, right? :lookup:

• Hugs 2