Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Sapphire Shores homage

Forlong

Went to help me write my review for the latest episode?  Of course you don't!  But this discussion should be fun anyway.

Sapphire_Shores_ID_S1E19.png

We all know Sapphire Shores was made as an homage to pop singers.  I just want to make sure I've identified as many as I can before writing my review.

Her title, The Pony of Pop, is a clear reference to Michael Jackson's title: The King of Pop.  Giving her a title cements her importance.  She's not just a pop icon, she's the pop icon.

Her voice and appearance, on the other hoof, are more like that of Ella Fitzgerald.  Ella was noted for her impressive vocal range and ability to improvise.  This was also done to make her importance clear.  Even if you know nothing of the First Lady of Song, her jazzy voice had an almost hypnotic effect on people.  Once she opened her mouth, she owned the room.

Sapphire's fashion sense seems to be a reference to Lady Gaga.  I don't know if any of you noticed, but Lady Gaga wares a lot of outlandish dresses.

:wacko:

:unsure: That was terrible.  I apologize.

The only obscure references I noted were the titles to her songs.  They refer to "Get Your Groove On" and "Serves You Right to Suffer".  Odd choices, but that might not have been intentional.  Dave Polsky may have just chosen phrases that sounded like song titles.

• Brohoof 1

I loved Sapphire in this episode. The fact alone that they made a callback to an already established character is awesome in and of itself, but to give her such a standout personality that she has a clear characterization with so few lines... I'm anticipating fanfic for this mare, and I pray to all my gods that it's good fanfic.

Only element that you picked out that I disagree with is likening her voice to Ella Fitzgerald's if only because I don't think Sapphire Shores, with how generally ostentatious and modern artpop her presentation is, could be shoehorned into being a reference to 1940s music. I think Ella had a more female-baritone voice when speaking anyways. I'd liken it as a homage to someone like Mariah Carey or Whitney Houston, they're more contemporary singers which I think the overall image of Sapphire is meant to evoke, a female RnB singer from the past two or so decades at latest.

Quick thought, the Egyptian motif in the headdress Rarity gave Sapphire might actually have been a reference to Katy Perry's Dark Horse music video (which sucked but whatever). Only recent pop music usage of Egyptian motifs I can think of.

Nah, that wasn't terrible to say, it's true.  Lady gaga wore a raw meat dress once, I think. o.o

Anyway, I wasn't a huge fan of the character, I guess it was mainly due to my dislike of the pop music today.  I am interested in hearing her sing though.

I love Sapphire Shores! It was great to see her in the newest episode. She is such a fun eccentric character.

but I don't think she was inspired by Lady Gaga. She reminds me more of an 80s pop star (like Patti Labelle, chaka khan, Tina Turner . Lady Gaga is not the first idol in history to use crazy over the top outfits many pop stars have way before she has.

I personally think she sounds like Queen Latifah

For those of you who don't know her she plays ellie the mammoth in Ice Age 2

Ya I thought that as well only I couldn't remember who it was that I was thinking

I've heard Sapphire Shores being called "the Pony version of Lady Gaga/Katy Perry", but I don't really know or think so.

I think she's just a character of her own, not really being based off anyone from our world. ^^"