Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How far is Hasbro C&D willing to go?

LED Dasher

And those aesthetics make up the show. The created characters from the fans, expanded stories, and hard work can actually improve the show by giving the company a better idea of what is enjoyed by the fans.

Integrating the fans into the shows staff would also put a clearer focus on making sure things turn out for the best.

Lauren Faust after all is/was a huge fan of MLP before she pitched the reboot. If it wasn't for that one fan, this new series wouldn't exist.

Imagine what could happen if Hasbro used Buttons adventures as a spinoff web series!

I dunno, I've actually been handed lawyer trash before and it was so badly worded and typed that if the lawyer hadn't given it to me himself, I'd have thought it fake too.

And generally the lawyers aren't smart enough to know how to directly contact the video creators, nor will they look for the obvious links. They usually just send a random letter to the site hosting the content since theres normally a "report" button that can be utilized.

Same reason someone would "swat" someone else.

As for verification, that would be a LOT harder to do. The local courthouse would not have any knowledge of the C&D, it never passes any courts. This is a document sent directly to the supposed infringer, from the lawyers office. A "warning" of sort BEFORE any official legal documentation is filed. This way they can say "we warned them" and the person wouldn't be able to defend themselves any better.

Did they? they had permission to post the bronydoc video and even that has been pulled.

Well, just check the lawyers details!

This has been brought up before. Jan Animation made sure to verify the C&D was legitimate before taking their stuff own.

Wow, now I feel bad for posting without knowing that information, thanks for replying so now I know it is a verified C&D order.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again, we are not Hasbro's main concern. However much we like to think we're important, we make up a small percentage of fans.

I'm just saying they'd lose a lot of Bronies as fans.

I don´t like this...why do someone want to destroy something many love  D:

If they take down Equestriadaily and mlp forums..where shall we talk about it and share about all that like we do still?

It´s like war over and over..when someone get killed you will miss him/her.

I don't think they will go as far as to shut down Internet forums like equestriadaily and this website. I am scared that they will target more fan animations though. Also, there is a petition to bring back Button Mash. I am hoping it discourages Hasbro from shutting down anything else.

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/hasbro-bring-back-button-mash

I agree with you there on the fan animation thing and with the forums.

• Brohoof 1

Everyone is making a mountain out of a molehill here. Hasbro isn't going to shut down EquestriaDaily, or this forum site. The C&D said that it was because the Button Mash stuff, was identical in style to the official show, and could be confused as such. Unless they go apeshit on things that DON'T look like the official show, then you'll have to take what they said at face value.

And no petition will bring Button back in the sense everyone is used too. If Hasbro figures they could make money off him (like Derpy), then they'll have him pop in the show a few times as a background character again, and make toys. Jan isn't likely to get him back.

• Brohoof 1

Here's the thing. You would think they would target the animators and the youtubers who make videos of the mane six slaughtering, butchering, and murdering one another while cussing, using drugs, having sex, or enslaving other characters  as they are a bigger threat to their image than anything involving button mash

Waiting for them to kill Smile...

Waiting for them to kill Smile...

as long as it doesn't make any revenue, it won't get attacked. It doesn't look official, and it's obviously not connected.

Hasbro doesn't seem to get that not everything that has ponies is breaking copyright rules

*shows picture of AJ*

OH NO YOU STOLE OUR CONTENT THATS IT YOUR CHANNEL IS BEING TAKEN DOWN!!1!

as long as it doesn't make any revenue, it won't get attacked. It doesn't look official, and it's obviously not connected.

What happened with Button's Adventures then? I didn't know that Jan Animations was. The use of the characters is still there. I'm pretty sure that there is Pinkie there.

As far as they need to.

I'm sure Hasbro doesn't enjoy butchering its fan base, you know.

They only C&D what they have to.

Because some content out there is just so well made, that Hasbro can get in trouble if they just leave it alone for too long.

Really, I think it's only the huge stuff that gets so much attention that Hasbro has to shut it down.

So, if your stuff isn't too good or too big then I don't think you really have anything to worry about. ^^"

I would somewhat consider it an honor to receive one, that means you're so damn good that the actual creators of the content you're making fan stuff of has to come and tell you to slow it down.

But, that's just a one sided view. ^^"

• Brohoof 1

Be thankful we live in a world where people can't just nick your shit and run off with it.

What happened with Button's Adventures then? I didn't know that Jan Animations was. The use of the characters is still there. I'm pretty sure that there is Pinkie there.

Read the C&D. It states that it was identical in style to the official show (animation was pretty much the same), and it could be construed as an official part of the show itself.

Read the C&D. It states that it was identical in style to the official show (animation was pretty much the same), and it could be construed as an official part of the show itself.

i did. It says "copying the characters and use their names."

i did. It says "copying the characters and use their names."

That's not the entire thing though. The similarity in style was the main reason, and they didn't want it to be confused with an official part of the show. If Button Mash was done differently in style, they probably wouldn't bother, since they haven't attacked any other thing that's done in a different style then the official show.

That's not the entire thing though. The similarity in style was the main reason, and they didn't want it to be confused with an official part of the show. If Button Mash was done differently in style, they probably wouldn't bother, since they haven't attacked any other thing that's done in a different style then the official show.

You know? Maybe you people are right about all this stuff and I'm bitching without reason. My problem with this whole thing is really that I think that Hasbro's suits are seeking things to justify stuff they want taken down using this black hole of a law as excuse. To me it felt unnecessary and I was expecting it to happen again after some time with different excuses.  But if they ARE being consistent, and I hadn't noticed, I need to shut up.

You know? Maybe you people are right about all this stuff and I'm bitching without reason. My problem with this whole thing is really that I think that Hasbro's suits are seeking things to justify stuff they want taken down using this black hole of a law as excuse. To me it felt unnecessary and I was expecting it to happen again after some time with different excuses.  But if they ARE being consistent, and I hadn't noticed, I need to shut up.

If you want to know what bullcrap attacks against fan made stuff is like, look at some of the stuff Disney, Bandai, Toei, and 4kids do on a regular basis.

If you want to know what bullcrap attacks against fan made stuff is like, look at some of the stuff Disney, Bandai, Toei, and 4kids do on a regular basis.

I'm aware. I'm just naturally distrusting of anything a big company does and I admit that my views are biased.

Well, it's their loss. We aren't competing with them, we are PROMOTING them.

Other random small cartoons and animations are like PRAYING for ppl to promote them by establishing fandoms. Unless its for personal gains (like money, economic competition, you know), I don't understand it.

I can't do anything to stop them, so if they want to C&D everything, let them do it. As much as I don't like it, they can do what they want, nothing stopping them.

Actually there is something that can be done. A petition and a boycott that people ACTUALLY follow would kick them right where it hurts. The wallet and PR.

But thats not likely to happen, and is why large companies like Hasbro feel this is the right approach to things.

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2014/03/mike-vogel-looking-into-concerns-about.html

I feel that these are not direct actions by Hasbro at large, but the lawyers it has hired trying to earn their salary. I know that Hasbro can legally do this, but this is a different time as when the laws empowering them were written. Enforcing a trademark or copyright law in this manner is now seen as inconsiderate, condescending, arrogant, and anti-consumer.

JanAnimations, however, was the perfect target, as his animation was so show-accurate that it could reasonably be confused for actual show work. There is such a thing as being too good. This has the potential to get even worse but I hope that Vogel is doing more than just lip service here.

Hasbro is a company that is content to follow old business models rather to innovate. Pretty much all good in this show is credited to the crew, from the writers to the animators. I don't expect Hasbro to be on the leading edge of any intellectual property reform anytime soon.

• Brohoof 1