Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How far is Hasbro C&D willing to go?

LED Dasher

In the beginning of the fandom, Hasbro didn't bother to remove MLP episodes from YouTube. Eventually, they started shutting down projects such as Button Mash and Fighting is Magic. How far do you think they are willing to go? Will they start removing comics from deviantART? Will they shut down Equestria Daily and MLP Forums? I might be exaggerating, but this is something to think about.

• Brohoof 2

In the beginning of the fandom, Hasbro didn't bother to remove MLP episodes from YouTube. Eventually, they started shutting down projects such as Button Mash and Fighting is Magic. How far do you think they are willing to go? Will they start removing comics from deviantART? Will they shut down Equestria Daily and MLP Forums? I might be exaggerating, but this is something to think about.

They will go as far as they need to, to protect their franchise. And however much I like this forum, if they decide that to protect their intellectual property, they serve a C&D on MLP forum, I'd support them.

• Brohoof 1

They will go to any means necessary to keep their franchise intact and if they have to take down any animations that the fandom makes Hasbro will even do that too.

• Brohoof 2

A company has to protect their IP. I understand that, and they have the right to take something off if someone is making profit from it without their permission. But it irks me whenever a company removes a fanwork, and the fan isn't making any profit off it whatsoever. Fighting is Magic was taken down, but that wasn't for profit (At least, not in the BETA.)  

Things like the MLP Forums and (I'm pretty sure) Equestria Daily aren't making money off of this. It all comes from donations. Unless you're making profit off of a franchise, the company should not have the right to flag it, no matter what series it is. Whether it be MLP, Sonic the Hedgehog, Doctor Who, anything. If you aren't making any cash off of a work, they should not have the ability to take it off. And, I am so sick of Hasbro and all of these other companies who're more worried about their bottom line than letting their fans express their love for a certain franchise.

• Brohoof 10

It's...possible.  I don't think they would, but then again, I never thought they'd take down Jan's videos.  I think it would be a really stupid move on their part, because they'd most likely lose a lot of their fans.

• Brohoof 1

It is. I think they're just trying to protect themselves. They think our stuff rivals theirs and they do it in desperation. 

Here's the thing. You would think they would target the animators and the youtubers who make videos of the mane six slaughtering, butchering, and murdering one another while cussing, using drugs, having sex, or enslaving other characters  as they are a bigger threat to their image than anything involving button mash

• Brohoof 8

A company has to protect their IP. I understand that, and they have the right to take something off if someone is making profit from it without their permission. But it irks me whenever a company removes a fanwork, and the fan isn't making any profit off it whatsoever. Fighting is Magic was taken down, but that wasn't for profit (At least, not in the BETA.)  

Things like the MLP Forums and (I'm pretty sure) Equestria Daily aren't making money off of this. It all comes from donations. Unless you're making profit off of a franchise, the company should not have the right to flag it, no matter what series it is. Whether it be MLP, Sonic the Hedgehog, Doctor Who, anything. If you aren't making any cash off of a work, they should not have the ability to take it off. And, I am so sick of Hasbro and all of these other companies who're more worried about their bottom line than letting their fans express their love for a certain franchise.

Exactly. If the person in charge of the fan project is doing it for free and isn't claiming that they made the IP, what's the big deal? That's like free marketing you got there?

Hasbro why you no let us promote MLP for free?

Edited by Brighty
  • Brohoof 3

There's another problem with this whole thing. We're essentially giving Hasbro an advertisement for their franchise for NO charge to them.

Depends on how long the leash is they have on the lawyers, and how long it takes before the bottom line gets hit.

They will go to any means necessary to keep their franchise intact

Problem here is if your going to start shutting off your consumer base and free advertising, your going to ruin your franchise as opposed to protect it.

While the MLP franchise has obviously been decent for them, it hasn't been this good in almost 30 years. And unless they intend to drop their larger profits, than these moves aren't exactly the smartest.

The collectors are the new biggest income makers, where kids once were. Hasbro and some other companies need to figure this one out. Even Disney knows it, and have geared clearly in that direction.

But assaulting the fans rather than embracing them is pretty much the down right opposite.

I can see hammering down on R34, and the nastier content. But things like button mash should've been embraced, maybe even given a license. All they'd have had to do is say "we approve of this" and their licenses would've been maintained without dropping a dime. Even that C&D send out cost them money since a lawyer had to be paid to do that.

• Brohoof 3

It might have to do with money. I know Fighting is Magic had funds from outside them, which was a no-no, even if it was donations. Not sure if Jan got any money from anyone or Youtube (if he was a partner, he gets view money which might of nailed him there). Hasbro isn't known for going on a C&D spree, unless there's money involved.

It's...possible.  I don't think they would, but then again, I never thought they'd take down Jan's videos.  I think it would be a really stupid move on their part, because they'd most likely lose a lot of their fans.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again, we are not Hasbro's main concern. However much we like to think we're important, we make up a small percentage of fans.

• Brohoof 1

Problem here is if your going to start shutting off your consumer base and free advertising, your going to ruin your franchise as opposed to protect it.

While the MLP franchise has obviously been decent for them, it hasn't been this good in almost 30 years. And unless they intend to drop their larger profits, than these moves aren't exactly the smartest.

The collectors are the new biggest income makers, where kids once were. Hasbro and some other companies need to figure this one out. Even Disney knows it, and have geared clearly in that direction.

But assaulting the fans rather than embracing them is pretty much the down right opposite.

I can see hammering down on R34, and the nastier content. But things like button mash should've been embraced, maybe even given a license. All they'd have had to do is say "we approve of this" and their licenses would've been maintained without dropping a dime. Even that C&D send out cost them money since a lawyer had to be paid to do that.

I understand completely, Hasbro is making a big mistake but they should be more aware of it.

• Brohoof 1

There's another problem with this whole thing. We're essentially giving Hasbro an advertisement for their franchise for NO charge to them.

The issue for them is they cannot directly control it. They are shutting down things that get to large, and may have an idiot or two stumble across and take for the official product. They won't let fan work be considered a advertisement because they cannot directly control it. They don't really have a way to directly oversee the process. So while they appreciate you going out and telling all your friends to buy that new $50 rarity plushy, they'd rather not have you make adds for them.

• Brohoof 3

Here's the thing my friends. A lt of companies have these lawyers and legal teams who are too paranoid about any form of outsider creativity. However what they need to look is look at LucasArts. George Lucas has allowed thousands upon thousands of fans make their own games, movies, apps, shows, parodies; etc using the Star Wars universe, effects, etc and nothing has ever detracted from the actual property of Star Wars. I mean a lot of these guys are mini celebs because of it and sell shirts with their movie/parodies on it but it just adds to the love of Star Waars and does nothing to hurt LucasArts...

More companies need to understand that.

• Brohoof 7

However much we like to think we're important, we make up a small percentage of fans.

I still find this hard to believe.  This fandom has caused the extensive licensing out of the series merchandise and expanded it as a whole. The toy line hasbro makes is nothing in comparison to what this fandom has created and gives them cash flow on. We now see MLP merchandise in stores that never would've had it before, and its not the kids toys either.

The show has even been VERY heavily influenced by this. Characters, the EQG movies, jokes, and much more is being clearly directed at this fandom over the children it had originally been for. Even the comic books all show HEAVY gearing toward the older fans.

Its not about the money, it's more the principle, if Hasbro allow this to go unchallenged, what next?

All they needed to do was acknowledge it and they would've been covered. Endorse it, and they could've made more money. License it, and they could've started another toy lineup.

When the quality of work is that high, the options that involve directly taking control OF the content are far better than those that DESTROY it.

Edited by GrimCW
  • Brohoof 1

@,@,

Okay, matter of principle, I understand that, but my point is, when you make something that you've put hours into your life into making, and then it just gets taken down, that's one of the ultimate kicks in the groin.

• Brohoof 2

Problem here is if your going to start shutting off your consumer base and free advertising,

That is not how it works. There is much more to it than "we made a fan made thing, it's free advertising" there is sooooo much more to it. Consider all the factors:

1. Although people like Jan Animations are making people know what MLP is, they are still attracting attention to themselves. They are getting their name known and they can turn around and make an original project now and everyone will pay for it because they know who they are. They used Hasbro's IP to get publicity if they try to do anything professional now. It's kind of unfair that Hasbro will not get a cut of any of that profit they make in the future either. There is no real such thing as "non-profit" in fan works if the person intends on being a professional at some point. There comes a point where them using Hasbro's IP has helped them gain a profit. If it were not for using Hasbro's IP, it would have made Jan Animations' ability to gain attention to their content significantly harder. They are using Hasbro's success to get attention, and it's a bit unfair to Hasbro, because if it were not for them, few people would know who Jan Animations are. Can you see how this unfair to Hasbro?

2. When you let people free advertise, you have no control over how they advertise. That's a dangerous move for a company. You don't want to hand over advertising to people who don't work for you because you have no idea if they will advertise the product how you would have wanted it advertised.

3. Copyright laws. Has anyone forgotten that Button Mash's video has a very close likeness to an NES in it? If Hasbro lets people advertise their product with stuff like that, they are just asking Nintendo to sue them.

4. Professionalism. Let's be honest: it's not seem as professional by other companies to let your fans do this kind of thing. If Hasbro tries to do business with other companies, allowing fans to take their product in such a way kind of will rub other companies the wrong way. It's not good for business relationships. Plus it's not generally regarded as professional to hire fans who ripped off your IP either. This can hurt business relationships with other companies.

Thing is, even though the Mane 6 team gave all their proceeds to charity, they were still technically receiving money for it. Money changed hands, so Hasbro had to C&D the project to protect their IP.

• Brohoof 1