Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why was RD opposed to a "big tense competition" on her birthaversary

Never2muchpinkie

This was something I found a little unusual. Given her reaction to Maud saying she's not into "winning", thus not into competing, as well as her own love of racing and being the best, you'd think that she would be ecstatic and happy about two ponies essentially fighting over her and continual outdoing themselves to impress her. If you watch throughout the competition she's smiling away and enjoying herself anyway up until the party tank and gigantic pinata bits.

Now, I'm not saying it was out of character. She showed earlier she was a little uncomfortable with Pinkie's overbearing attitude towards parties, and since someone had to lose that would mean she would lose have of her party making team. She wanted to have both of them working together to make her party the best. And lastly, she may just have times, like her birthday, where she just wants to chill, and thus a competition isn't high on the list of things she wants for it.

So, thoughts?

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

She just wanted a birthday that would suite her needs, she likes friendly competition though. Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie realized that the Goof Off was preventing RD from having a good time, that is why she didn't want the competition to get more unstable than it already was.

Edited by Scootalove

I think Dashie may have had the idea that 2 party ponies competing to be her planner would cause some trouble, which I'm sure she didn't want to be the cause of, nor did she want there to be a loser. I can understand though, it just seems like something a good friend would do, I know I would.

Well really I think It came down to Dashie just being overwhelmed with the competition  itself, I mean I would be entertained it two ponies decided to have a "good off" in the middle of Ponyville, with giant canons, and Pinatas, and Idk, it was all pretty amazing to her at the time I would guess. 

Honestly, I think she was kind of overwhelmed by it all.  Look at her reaction to Pinkie's "partying is SRS bizness" Pinkie Promise earlier in the episode.  The whole situation is kind of awkward and overwhelming, especially how Pinkie just put her on the spot like that.  If I were Dash, I'd feel kind of strange about the whole thing.  Wouldn't you?

Pinkie basically put the fate of the whole party on Dash, which would make anyone uncomfortable.

• Brohoof 1

RainbowDash realized that the goof-off was just messing up everything and it wasn't even a birthday party anymore.

Pinkie, obviously, realized this too.

You, know what @@Never2muchpinkie, you bring up a very good question that I don't think anyone has asked before?

I never even once questioned why RD didn't want any tense competition on her birthaversary. But as some people already pointed out, it's probably because it's a day where Dashie just wants to relax and have a rocking party with all of her friends. She's probably used to tense and cutthroat competition on a daily basis, so it would be nice if everything went smoothly on her special day.

While competition is healthy to a certain degree, it can easily reach a point where it can be taken too far (as demonstrated in the Goof Off when we got to the party cannon and pinata scenes).