Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do we Bronies think that MLP was created for us?

Rarity Paige Belle

Its not, and im pretty sure MLP FiM isnt for us.

but when bronies became a thing and the creators of the show noticed the brony fandom they gave some hints and some animation thingys.

And I mean being critical of the show / hasbros decisions only shows that we care about the show and dont want it to become the sludge that was G3.

Its still a girls show/ family show. And most bronies are still not the target audiance of the show.

And they still dont tailor episodes to be for us.

Getting derpy back wasnt saying ''omg bronies we make the show only for you''

This has been said a milion times but no matter what target audiance if the show you make is good, everyone will watch it.

and the title should probably be ''why does some bronies think that mlp was created for us'' the thought of mlp being for me and my age group has never crossed my mind.

Edited by SveciaDash
  • Brohoof 1

I think that is another big assumption assuming that all bronies feel that way, Now I am not saying that a lot don't, I see it first hand, and you are right, a lot of people in the fandom act displeased when an episode, or something like EG isnt up to their standards, but a lot of us remember what this fandom is about. I like EG honestly, its all the characters I knew and loved, the plotline may have had holes in it, but if its MLP its got me, but that is aside the point. A lot of bronies enjoy the fact that there is a little something in this fandom for everypony. That is honestly one of the reasons I love it so much.

• Brohoof 2

You know, I, for one believe it was not made for bronies but more of entertainment and take MLP towards a family oriented show, rather than and all-girls show, :D

Answer the question;

Are we alone in the universe?

:lol:, I love that one, :D

Good question. This show is, and always has been, marketed towards children. Yes, it is obviously written to have an appeal that reaches beyond the so-called "target demographic", but at its core, it's still largely a "kids & family" cartoon that has plenty of things for adults to enjoy, NOT an adults' cartoon that kids can just so happen to enjoy (a la The Simpsons). If that were so, then the brony "phenomenon" wouldn't be nearly as much of a big deal as it's become, both online and in the real world.

I can understand some bronies' need to call for quality control per their rising expectations, but not at the expense of making the show into something it was never intended to be. A lot of what I hear people calling for spits in the face of the very aspects about the show that made many of us fall in love with it in the first place, and frankly, I'm against that 100%.

Say what you will about some of the writers, but I'm far more interested in the story they want to tell than the stories some bronies want them to tell.

• Brohoof 5

I do understand giving something criticism for something they legitly don't like. However, when they keep complaining because they didn't get exactly what they wanted, then it gets annoying. Also when they want far fetched things like a Vynl Scratch episode or a background pony episode or something. If you want something like that, go write a fan fic about it.

Umm. I have not met a single brony that didnt agree that mlp was made for little girls. And we are grown up men, we notice mistakes wether we want it or not. I am personally a huge EG fan cuz i chose to see past the problems.

Umm. I have not met a single brony that didnt agree that mlp was made for little girls. And we are grown up men, we notice mistakes wether we want it or not. I am personally a huge EG fan cuz i chose to see past the problems.

Yes the older of us understand FIM's target group, but the younger in our fandom, that's where the complaints come from...

Yes the show wasn't created for bronies but what irks me is how the fact that it is marketed toward children is used as an excuse to automatically dismiss any and all criticisms on certain aspects of the show. I am seeing a lot of inconsistencies, out of character moments, ridiculous overuse of deus ex machina, and twilicorn being handled poorly in a rushed season 3 finale and for the most part ignored in season 4. The fact is this show may be marketed for children but it has proven that just because something is marketed for children especially "little girls" dosen't mean it has to dumb itself down to such a ridiculous extent as to be insulted even to 2 year olds in other words that quality has no demographic. And all of these things and some other things are a contradiction of that, I understand some peoples point about not making the show something it isn't like a minority of bronies may want to do but simply asking that the show maintain the quality that got us into it is not asking for all that much. 

Yea, I think that ever sense Hasbro has noticed the brony fandom they have had a quite a few easter eggs in the show aimed at bronies...

I don't know any one that believes that but if anyone does, they are completely wrong. That point of view sounds self centered at best.

Yes the show wasn't created for bronies but what irks me is how the fact that it is marketed toward children is used as an excuse to automatically dismiss any and all criticisms on certain aspects of the show. I am seeing a lot of inconsistencies, out of character moments, ridiculous overuse of deus ex machina, and twilicorn being handled poorly in a rushed season 3 finale and for the most part ignored in season 4. The fact is this show may be marketed for children but it has proven that just because something is marketed for children especially "little girls" dosen't mean it has to dumb itself down to such a ridiculous extent as to be insulted even to 2 year olds in other words that quality has no demographic. And all of these things and some other things are a contradiction of that, I understand some peoples point about not making the show something it isn't like a minority of bronies may want to do but simply asking that the show maintain the quality that got us into it is not asking for all that much. 

A lot of media doesn't keep a consistent level of quality over time whether it's dramas on television, cinema or popular music. Oftentimes, quality is overlooked and a measured quality in a show such as this is an accomplishment in itself because the real target audience simply would not care.

A lot of media doesn't keep a consistent level of quality over time

I know, but I don't accept that as an excuse for other media and don't see any reason why I need a reason to accept that for this. 

I know, but I don't accept that as an excuse for other media and don't see any reason why I need a reason to accept that for this. 

It may be difficult to say. I am glad that this show does have a good level of quality that I hope continues until its conclusion and that is really all I can do. I shouldn't demand it as I am not the show's target audience.

I have never claimed or believed that.

However, I think the answer some of us may feel entitled is through misinterpreting that the original intention for it to be enjoyable (or at the very least more bearable) for parents, aunts/uncles, guardians, older siblings, and grandparents to be able to watch the show with their loved ones.

What happened is that it turned out so well that it succeeded its original goal and went on to create the fandom as it is today.

With that said, the frequent shout-outs and the fanservice probably hasn't helped with that sense of entitlement among that part of the fanbase.

I shouldn't demand it as I am not the show's target audience.

Why should we insult ourselves like that? We may not be the "target audience" but we are still fans damn it and still matter. I am not saying they should pander to us at the expense of the "target audience" but the great things is they don't have to do that.

I can't say that Hasbro aimed this show for just a younger audience in the beginning... BUT NOW... I know that it's not.

No little kid boy or girl is going to get the reference/cameo they made in Trade Ya.

The fact that whoever placed this idea into the show, knew about a game that wasn't completely mainstream.

THERE IS NO WAY THIS WAS NOT AIMED AT AN ADULT AUDIENCE.

Well, outside of maybe Breaking Bad, I've yet to watch ANY series that didn't deal with charater inconsistencies. In television, sometimes the characters serve the plot, not the other way around. It's just an unfortunate truth. if you expect motivations, development, and dialog to be too consistent, you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

Deus Ex Machina is an acceptable device for a younger demographic. Easy resolution.

None of that matters though. FIM has a few rough episodes, yet even the clunkers are superior to any other animated show intended for smaller children. The Ponies would have been a welcome respite for me in the 2000's when my daughters were younger.

just because something is marketed for children especially "little girls" dosen't mean it has to dumb itself down to such a ridiculous extent as to be insulted even to 2 year olds in other words that quality has no demographic.

Totally agree. Kids are capable of understanding way more than we often give them credit for. Quality children's TV shows don't dumb things down for them. Kids appreciate solid characterisation and plots as much as adults do, even if they can't give those things names just yet.

Two of my favourite cartoons of all time as a child were The Animals Of Farthing Wood, and Don Bluth's The Land Before Time. That stuff was heavy.

Kids don't pick up nuance until repeat viewings at an older age

Secret if NIMH is a better example of quality anyway (if you are going to invoke Bluth) ;)

Why should we insult ourselves like that? We may not be the "target audience" but we are still fans damn it and still matter. I am not saying they should pander to us at the expense of the "target audience" but the great things is they don't have to do that.

I understand. I hope that everyone that watches the show only has its best interests in mind when criticizing its flaws. Few shows reach anything close to perfection and the only way to approach it is to improve over time. FiM improved its animation over the seasons and that is one aspect that I was glad to see. I also hope that there is a consistent narrative that links the seasons together and that it can be done right.