Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

American Advertising

Kay Dreamer

So, last night was the first time I've actually streamed an episode of MLP live, complete with ads and all, and...

WOW, American ads are absolutely terrible! Something tells me I was probably not supposed to be rolling my eyes in dismay at every single one.

I mean, television ads are annoying no matter where you are or what you're watching, but compared to that hot mess I'd venture to suggest that most Australian TV ads are 30 second works of art. They're usually funny, structured, sometimes heartwarming, and they don't insult your intelligence. At the very least, they don't make me cringe, or sit with my mouth hanging open in shock that these atrocities would convince anyone to buy anything... ever.

Is it always like this, American friends? Or was it just more to do with the Hub's kiddy demographic?

What about other areas of the world? What are your TV ads usually like?

• Brohoof 1

Not a lot of commercials are like this, it depends on what product they are advertising and how the advertisement is portrayed. My ads are mostly promoting movies and usually annoying Nick cartoon advertisements.

Good God, yes. TV ads here are horrid. I don't know how TV ads are elsewhere, but they're usually terrible. And local ads do a spectacular job of lowering the bar. We get excited about Super Bowl ads, though, as those are usually really good. They're either funny or touching or just nice to watch in general. 

This one is actually pretty funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q38lx674Hs

But yeah, in general, our advertisements are garbage.

I hear ya. I'm American and I cannot stand our television advertisements, in the large majority of cases. There are exceptions (some Super Bowl ads, for example) but exceptions is all they are.

I hear that in other countries it's illegal to advertize pharmaceutical drugs on television. I don't support "banning it" but have the good sense to refrain from doing it. Drugs are bad, mmkay?

@

They pour millions into the superbowl ads, right? I love the 1984 Apple Macintosh one, but I adore the George Orwell book as well so it figures.

@@NomDeSpite

We advertise painkillers and cold/flu tablets in Australia. And hay fever stuff. I'm not too sure about anything else regarding pharmaceuticals.

Since my answer to getting a cold is drinking an oceans worth of hot tea and eating raw honey by the spoonful, I don't pay much attention. (The honey thing works WONDERS. And it's delicious.)