Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Let's talk about magical ability level in alicorns.

Axsel

(edited)

So, after watching the finale (and some of s4), I'm left with a few questions about magical ability.

How much magical ability does twilight have versus the other alicorns, and how much magic do the other alicorns actually have? I'm talking raw ability here, not rainbow power.

We can assume that Luna and Celestia are equal because both raise the sun and the moon and both are siblings (though being siblings doesn't necessarily mean the same amount of magical ability (see Twi and Shining Armor). Celestia and Luna do appear to have basically the same destinies/jobs though. The only difference is one raises the sun and the other the moon.

Cadence's ability seems to be directly derived from love, and when that love is taken away she loses her ability. I do not believe at this time there is a way to quantify how much ability she has, so all we can believe is that the amount of ability she posseses is related to the amount of love in bloom.

Now, twilight.

At the moment, we don't have much to really go off of, as we have never seen Twilight face other powerful beings as an alicorn without the use of rainbow power. We also haven't seen her attempt to raise or lower the moon/sun or anything else significant using her ability alone.

It is still possible though that twilight may have more ability than the other princesses (Yes, I'm reading into this too much, but it's fun to do that!). I say this because of how magic looks when twilight is using it in the finale after she has gained the power of the other princesses. Instead of being dominated by Celestia's yellow or Luna's blue magic, the magic is still twilight's purple. The same reigns true with twilight's fight against Tirek. In many frames it appears that the attacks twilight is using are mainly white (a mixture of the princesses' magic (?)) and purple, Twilight's magic.

So, there are a few possibilities:

• Because twilight is the caster of the magic, the magic gives off her color the most
  • Twilight is using her magic more than the other princesses' (though this seems unlikely since most of twilight's attacks are colored mainly white)
  • Twilight's magic is more prevalent because there is more of it or twilight it outweights the other princesses' magic.

I believe in the third personally. Twilight's magical ability surpasses the other princesses. Celestia even said that Twilight's abilities were amazing before she ascended. Why couldn't they still be extremely high for an alicorn after?

What do you all think? Who has the most magical ability?

Edited by Axsel

(edited)

Cadence said it best,

Twilight, you represent the Element of Magic. If there is anypony who can do this, it's you.

I think Twilight is more magically gifted both in raw power and ability to control it, but her magic is much less focused and specific than the other princesses. Cadence might be more like that too since she and Twilight are princesses of emotions (love and friendship) whereas the sisters control natural objects sun and moon.

Edited by Nature's Spell

Well, I think that Princess Celestia is more powerful than Princess Luna. She is Luna's elder sister and she was also the one who banished Luna in the moon. I am not going to talk much about Princess Cadence because I do not know enough about her.

Now, about Princess Twilight. I still think that she cannot be more powerful than Celestia. She represents the element of Magic, and as such, I guess she is more versatile but still less powerful overall.

Of course, I am quite annoyed at the fact that Princess Celestia rules Equestria and thus should be responsible for the citizens of Equestria  but everytime something happens, it's always Twilight to the rescue and Celestia does nothing (or almost nothing). It is therefore hard to judge her magic.

Kind of reminds me of Stargate SG1 where out of the whole of the US Army, only 4 guys (the main characters) save the world whereas the rest of the US Army does nothing. So, therefore, it makes it hard to judge the strength of the US Army since we have not really seen them in action.

The same thing goes for MLP.

Of course, I am quite annoyed at the fact that Princess Celestia rules Equestria and thus should be responsible for the citizens of Equestria  but everytime something happens, it's always Twilight to the rescue and Celestia does nothing (or almost nothing). It is therefore hard to judge her magic.

Celestia showed her magic several times: when she fought her sister in the season 4 premiere, and also when she stood up against Chrysalis in the season 2 finale.

I believe you're right when saying she's more powerful than Twilight, but recently I'm starting to have some doubts.

For the season 4 premiere, it was in the past, that's why I did not mention it. And in the season 2 finale, she stood up against Chrysalis but it did not work.

Overall, Twilight is always the one who saves the world which is ok considering she is the main character and all.

However, I just wish it was a bit less obvious.