Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you remember about Alicorns?

Reiki Knight 13

What do you remember about the lore of alicornss in G4?  

3 users have voted

1. 1. Which best describes the G4 background story for alicorns in the G4 show to you?

• The background within the show is a complete mystery. Celestia and Luna are a completely unknown mystery to Star Swirl and the other ponies but because they seem to embody the ideals of all three tribes they were chosen to to become princesses. No other other alicorns but cadence are known.
    • The princesses come from an alicorn nation.

1 hour ago, Metemponychosis said:

Both options are kind of right, aren't they?

Not exactly, one is saying the origin of the alicorns is completely unknown and that they are considered an abnormality to the three main pony tribes where as the other one is saying that we DO know exactly where alicorns come from and they are not an abnormality.

The background within the show is a complete mystery. Celestia and Luna are a completely unknown mystery to Star Swirl and the other ponies but because they seem to embody the ideals of all three tribes they were chosen to to become princesses. No other other alicorns but cadence are known.

Not exactly, one is saying the origin of the alicorns is completely unknown and that they are considered an abnormality to the three main pony tribes where as the other one is saying that we DO know exactly where alicorns come from and they are not an abnormality.

I feel like you're arguing about semantics. 

The difference is that one is saying alicorns in general are unknown and the other is saying that they are known about.

Keep in mind that this  is what is known BEFORE Celestia and Luna became princesses or got their cutie Mark.

On 2023-07-06 at 5:21 PM, Fluttershutter said:

I like The Journal of the Two Sisters. It doesn't tell a lot about alicorns but yes, they come from a community of alicorns as Make Your Mark seems to confirm. 

Canon? Who knows? :derp:

That book is 100% canon. It was written by one of FiM's writers, Amy Keating Rogers, and AFAIK was never contradicted by anything in FiM. The existence of an alicorn homeland was confirmed in it though the book sadly said pretty much nothing about it.

Make Your Mark (G5) spoilers:

Spoiler

Make Your Mark gave it a name, Skyros, and confirmed that Celestia, Luna, and Opaline all grew up there. I hope we get to actually see it!

49 minutes ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

That book is 100% canon. It was written by one of FiM's writers, Amy Keating Rogers, and AFAIK was never contradicted by anything in FiM. The existence of an alicorn homeland was confirmed in it though the book sadly said pretty much nothing about it.

Make Your Mark (G5) spoilers:

Reveal hidden contents

Make Your Mark gave it a name, Skyros, and confirmed that Celestia, Luna, and Opaline all grew up there. I hope we get to actually see it!

Canon is always an iffy thing no matter who wrote it. They might contradict it in the show tomorrow if they feel like it and then that will be the canon. It's very annoying.

1 hour ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

I have that book. Read it once and barely remember anything at all from it. Luna had a manticore friend, or something. Also Show Don't Tell died because of the format. In reality, with the comics and books MLP speedran LucasArts lack of unified vision. The idea of a alicorn land makes zero sense when you think about how Twilight became an alicorn. And that is how secondary canon is created.

18 hours ago, Metemponychosis said:

I have that book. Read it once and barely remember anything at all from it. Luna had a manticore friend, or something. Also Show Don't Tell died because of the format. In reality, with the comics and books MLP speedran LucasArts lack of unified vision. The idea of a alicorn land makes zero sense when you think about how Twilight became an alicorn. And that is how secondary canon is created.

Lucasarts today =The "Bantha PooDoo" High Quality Fake Bantha Poop Realistic Hand  Made Gag Gift | eBay

But before Disney they used to try to keep the books and movies unified. MLP secondary canon is more like Star Trek books. They never tried to keep them part of the canon and they're basically professional fan fiction.

The alicorn thing can make sense. Alicorn are godlike beings who lived in a sort of Asgard or Olympus. Sometimes mortals like Twilight and Cadence can ascend and become alicorns. And for the first time a god, Flurryheart, was born to mortals. Alicorns aren't literally gods and I don't think they're actually immortal but it's a close analogy.

That's my thinking, anyway.

I'm greatly enjoying the conversations on here.

As I said countless times this is a complete Mandela effect to myself. You know one of those things like the famous movie quote from field of dreams being remembered as "If you build it THEY will come" but is now "If you build it HE will come." Or another good one being a quote from the bible being remembered as "The lion and the lamb shall lie together..." When it is "The wolf and the lamb shall lie together.."

I guess that means I'm from a different universe or timeline if belief on that concept regarding these Mandela effects is true.

Oh well, I kind of like their background story this way the one I recall was a lot sadder in that then being different made the three tribes a bit hesitant about them and vice versa. 

Now on a quick side note I think someone said cadence became an alicorn wasn't she always an alicorn or no is there a story to that?

1 hour ago, Star heart 777 said:

Now on a quick side note I think someone said cadence became an alicorn wasn't she always an alicorn or no is there a story to that?

She was born a pegasus. From the book Twilight Sparkle and the Crystal Heart Spell. Again, what is canon?

36 minutes ago, Fluttershutter said:

She was born a pegasus. From the book Twilight Sparkle and the Crystal Heart Spell. Again, what is canon?

Found the ebook going to read and get back to you on it.  Thanks for the info 

• Brohoof 1

Just finished reading it a good story.

Honestly, as far as cannon to my own belief goes I believe that most of the MLP G4 stories are all cannon up to the point of Celestia and Luna retiring.

To me I would have to doubt that the two of them would even consider retiring as this concept wouldn't really fit them or their roles as deities.

The whole "oh look magic device that will do our destiny for you" to me is complete crap.

But before anyone argues with me that it is cannon and did happen again this is what I alone make of things. 

The Princesses retiring, and all G5 to me is adult Spike's fanfic of a darker "what if" adventure he is writing to help ponies understand both the importance of destiny and what happens why the foundations of Equestria are important etc.

In others words, a fable to guide.