Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

While, I do think you brought up valid points in the video,  I do  think that as you put, Sweetie  is growing up  and  changing.  Something  else to mull over is that perhaps  Sweetie Belle has  had  these feelings   of living under Rarity's  shadow  for some time now  and  the  costumes was the  thing that pushed her over the edge.  True,  we have never seen this brought up before but that doesn't mean,  Sweetie Belle  didn't  have these feelings.  She could have been  keeping them bottled up  and   she  just exploded on Rarity here.  It was not the best way to handle things  but a lot of us have been in situation not unlike what Sweetie Belle was feeling.

Well, one of the points I tried to make in the video was that her past actions also suggested her real feelings weren't in that vicinity either (the bit on Sisterhooves Social and all that). Growing and changing is still a legitimate possibility though, just one that, as they depicted it, is sort of a shame when you were as genuine and likable as Sweetie Belle was. 

My impression is that this is a phase of growing up for her. Twilight Time shows similar behavior. She wants to be popular, first by learning skills from Twilight, and then just by knowing Twilight. But that didn't work out, so in Belle Tolls, she has a new plan to become popular by her own skills, with the play. And if Rarity hadn't been too stressed out to think deeply, she probably would have realized that what Sweetie really needed from her was knowledge, and not finished products.

So the problem wasn't so much being outshined by Rarity specifically, but just not getting the attention she was expecting from everything else she did for the play. Disappointment turns to anger, and Rarity is the one who got the attention Sweetie wanted, so obviously she becomes the target of the anger, and then Sweetie comes up with the conspiracy theory that Rarity did it on purpose.

I do agree that it makes her much less likeable. The attention seeking itself is pretty relatable, but scheming and taking advantage of Twilight, and assuming the worst of Rarity, were both pretty poor showings of character on Sweetie's part. But hopefully it is only a phase, and she won't go all Kate Sanders on her friends (brohoof to anyone who gets that reference :squee:) and become a nasty cheerleader type.

• Brohoof 2

My impression is that this is a phase of growing up for her. Twilight Time shows similar behavior. She wants to be popular, first by learning skills from Twilight, and then just by knowing Twilight. But that didn't work out, so in Belle Tolls, she has a new plan to become popular by her own skills, with the play. And if Rarity hadn't been too stressed out to think deeply, she probably would have realized that what Sweetie really needed from her was knowledge, and not finished products.

So the problem wasn't so much being outshined by Rarity specifically, but just not getting the attention she was expecting from everything else she did for the play. Disappointment turns to anger, and Rarity is the one who got the attention Sweetie wanted, so obviously she becomes the target of the anger, and then Sweetie comes up with the conspiracy theory that Rarity did it on purpose.

I do agree that it makes her much less likeable. The attention seeking itself is pretty relatable, but scheming and taking advantage of Twilight, and assuming the worst of Rarity, were both pretty poor showings of character on Sweetie's part. But hopefully it is only a phase, and she won't go all Kate Sanders on her friends (brohoof to anyone who gets that reference :squee:) and become a nasty cheerleader type.

You just had to make me remember that I remember Lizzy McGuire...  :P 

That does sound pretty close to my conclusion (save for the part about Rarity needing to rethink giving Sweetie Belle a finished product), but I will say that it didn't help their case that they tried a little too hard to weave in the 5th birthday party as a grudge that was totally always there.  

• Brohoof 2

Love the Lizzie reference.

I got it,  love the Lizzie reference.

• Brohoof 1