Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Could Rarity ever become as powerful as Twilight Sparkle?

Rarity Paige Belle

(edited)

I doubt it. Twilight's an Alicorn now, which puts her on a whole new level from regular unicorns. Not to mention unlike Rarity, Twilight already had a cutie mark focused on magic and trained under Celestia herself. Most of Rarity's spells are specialized for her work.

Edited by Frostgage
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)
On 6/11/2014 at 7:09 PM, Frostgage said:

Twilight's an Alicorn now, which puts her on a whole new level from regular unicorns.

Tell that to a Unicorn like Sombra.

Edited by Anti-Villain
  • Brohoof 4

Well, I highly doubt she'd ever do that, but seeing as how that wasn't the question, I'll move on to the actual topic.

I do think that with large amounts of study and practice, in time, Rarity could become quite a powerful unicorn. She already has some impressive spells down, so she could certainly become quite skilled in magic if she tried. However, as for whether or not she could become quite as powerful as Twilight Sparkle herself, I'd say the answer would be no. Twilight already had quite a bit of raw power when she was a filly, practiced and studied her whole life, and then became an Alicorn princess.

Overall, Rarity has plenty of potential to become very skilled in magic, but I doubt that skill level would ever quite equal Twilight's.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)
On 6/11/2014 at 7:14 PM, Frostgage said:

Sorry, but I find it hard to think of King Sombra as a "regular unicorn". :P

Doesn't mean he didn't start out as one.

Edited by Anti-Villain
  • Brohoof 1

No. While she may become incredibly good at it, she will never have the almost divine ease and power Twilight has when it comes to magic. It would be like training against someone who has a prodigy level talent as a child, who then builds on that talent throughout their lives. While I have no doubt Rarity could become a decent mage, she could never reach the levels of magic Twilight has been able to, as she has had both more time studying it, and a natural talent for it.

(edited)

Personally, I always found Rarity to be more control-oriented with her magic than power-focused - and I believe that Rarity still has as much control as Twilight does with her magic at this point in time, and in previous seasons had even more control. I mean, look at this scene from "Suited for Success" when she was singing "Art of the Dress" :D

20121023020243!Rarity_uses_her_magic_to_

She's got an outstanding amount of control, since she can do all of that at once. Power isn't required to lift things as light as fabric and mannequins, but in order to lift all of them at once and have them spinning in a circle while she was singing without breaking a sweat displays deity like levels of control :D

So, no, in terms of raw power, I think Twilight will always have the upper hand ( :okiedokielokie: ) but in terms of control and skill, I don't think Rarity would have to work very hard in order to get to Twilight's level of those two aspects of her magic use - and that's implying she's not already there, and I
 believe she is. :D

Edited by ghostfacekiller39
  • Brohoof 4

Rarity's magic's SO underrated.

I'd be inclined to agree :D Her levels of control are absolutely outstanding, and Twilight's levels of control were lacking in earlier seasons, and I'd put the levels of control about even now.

Of course, in terms of pure power, Twilight will always have the edge unfortunately  :D

• Brohoof 3

Nope. But I should make a story about that. Rarity the alicorn princess. Yep. But no. I don't think she could make it to Twilight's level. Maybe one day...

Personally, I always found Rarity to be more control-oriented with her magic than power-focused - and I believe that Rarity still has as much control as Twilight does with her magic at this point in time, and in previous seasons had even more control. I mean, look at this scene from "Suited for Success" when she was singing "Art of the Dress" :D

20121023020243!Rarity_uses_her_magic_to_

She's got an outstanding amount of control, since she can do all of that at once. Power isn't required to lift things as light as fabric and mannequins, but in order to lift all of them at once and have them spinning in a circle while she was singing without breaking a sweat displays deity like levels of control :D

So, no, in terms of raw power, I think Twilight will always have the upper hand ( :okiedokielokie: ) but in terms of control and skill, I don't think Rarity would have to work very hard in order to get to Twilight's level of those two aspects of her magic use - and that's implying she's not already there, and I believe she is. :D

Control magic you say? What about controlling others? MWAHAHAHA! Er, joking. But seriously. She does have excellent power. Not as much as Twilight, but she's powerful on a different level. As you say, CONTROL! MWAHAHAHA! She's got muscle magic. It's like lifting things and getting muscles, but in magic.

• Brohoof 1

Rarity's magic is probably only slightly above run of the mill for an average unicorn. She's definitely got something she's good at, considering she can do the very dexterity-demanding task of hand sewing entirely with her magic, but everyone has something they're skilled at. Doesn't make us all prodigies. On top of that, Twilight is even more of a prodigy than an average prodigy since she has prophecies and all concerning her. Rarity can't come close, nor does she need to.

post-23625-0-77915500-1402529357_thumb.jpg

I dunno, she had trouble beating even an un power item'd Trixie. Someone who Twilight out preformed before she became an alicorn. I could see her becoming decently powerful, but if she cannot best the second most powerful unicorn in Equestria, how can she beat the most power unicorn, who's mastery of magic ascended her past her mortal form?

• Brohoof 1

Well, in Boast Busters, Twilight explained that most Unicorns are only able to learn a little bit of magic to match their special talent, but she doesn't have that same limitation since her special talent is magic, so I'm going to say that Rarity couldn't learn as much magic as Twilight based on that.  Like @@ghostfacekiller39 said, Rarity does have a lot of control and does have a lot of magical abilities because she has to have that type of control in order to do all her fashion work.  And because that's her entire focus, she's probably much better trained in that regard than Twilight.  But in terms of power and the amount of magic they know, Twilight is going to have Rarity beat since that is her special talent.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Rarity's magic is used for a very specific purpose, while Twilight is basically a wizard. I don't really know how learning spells works for unicorns. I always kinda assumed that unicorns where physically unable to learn spells that we're not based on their talent, but Twilight could learn them all because her talent is magic. Under that reasoning, Rarity could not approach Twilight's power because she can only learn clothing/gem based spells.

Edited by Banul

Here's the thing. Cadence, magic over love. Celestia, magic over the sun. Luna, over the moon. And finally Twilight, while being versed in all types of magics, is mostly in control of friendship. I don't think Rarity's gem hunting magic tops The celestial bodies, friendship, & love in terms of strength. But I truly cannot say what would happen, since most unicorns have something they are good at & stick with it, therefore keeping their magic to one aspect. The other alicorns have been training since they were very young, & had huge amounts of magical energy stored within them before becoming alicorns. So while it might have been possible, due to the fact Twilight & the others started from such a young age & had so much potential right from the start, I do not think Rarity has the time nor power to catch up to the others. But hey, I am just a guy on the internet. Whose to say I am right?

Well, it depends what she's capable of. Twilight has mentioned before that there are "different/higher level unicorns" and obviously no unicorn is born with power, it's because they go on through life achieving higher levels and advancing from young. See, a unicorn filly is just like a child. You learn easier at a younger age, as people say. Your brain is still growing, and thus can learn better the knowledge you receive from school. The horn on a unicorn is like a brain. Remember when Twilight in the ticket master warped somewhere else while under panic? She mentioned she didn't even know that was going to happen. The same way your brain stimulates stress when under pressure is the same way a horn does. It has a near mind of it's own at times. Now, I'm not saying the horn is the brain. Obviously the brain is still going to be what you focus in order to create magic, but my point here is that the horn receives learning and actions the same way your brain does. You can learn how to walk at any point in your life, but learning and understanding things like knowledge is something you take in through age, while you still can. So to really answer your question here: Rarity can kind of learn the focus needed for such spells. If she wanted to be like Twilight, she would have to have learned at an earlier age. I don't know her proper age, but the advancement that Twilight is is something that would take years of development starting from small. So, Rarity may not be able to go to such an extent, but assuming she's still fairly young, which she is, she's definitely young enough to learn great power.

Now, I could be completely over the line here and sound crazy, but that's the way my brain works. Just theorizing.

Now that's just cute. At best, I can see Rarity hitting a third of Twilight's power, this is really generous and honestly, I think a fifth is pushing it. 

However, to answer OP's question, it is certainly possible by using dishonest means, Demon Forme, the Book, and Alicorn Amulet come to mind

• Brohoof 1

I believe Rarity and Twilight's magic are very much similar. Of course Twilight is more trained and stronger in magic spells while Rarity is more trained and stronger in ability and double tasking (or using her magic to do many things at once). In Inspiration Manifestation (season 4 episode 23) Rarity was learning dark magic very quickly. Which doesn't surprise me since Rarity is a pony that if she puts her mind to it, it will be done.  We also see in this episode how strong she became in a short amount of time.

So the question is: If Rarity gave up fashion and trained non-stop could she become as proficient in magic as Twilight? 
My answer: Yes, I believe if Rarity studied and practiced magic instead of crafting she could be as strong as Twilight.

• Brohoof 1

Unless she's using some sort of enhancer like the Alicorn Amulet there's just no way Rarity could ever come close to Twilight.

Imean Twilight's cutey-mark IS magic so she ALREADY is going to be strong with magic by default. Sort of like how Vegeta would wine about Goku always being able to eclipse him in power despite Vegeta training possibly even more then Goku! Goku was just gifted..Just like Twilight. 

Hmm but maybe it is possible without a enhancer or something. Perhaps magic training? Lots and lots of magic training?

Orrrrr she could just become a Alicorn and receive this mystical power boost everyone is convinced that happens(perhaps i just forgot a in-show dialog referring to that)

alicorn_rarity_by_jameshalt-d5st6kw.png

(huzzah Rarity,you are now uber god pony)

Now that's just cute. At best, I can see Rarity hitting a third of Twilight's power, this is really generous and honestly, I think a fifth is pushing it. 

However, to answer OP's question, it is certainly possible by using dishonest means, Demon Forme, the Book, and Alicorn Amulet come to mind

But ya,this sums it up really.

• Brohoof 1