Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology Tumblr Redux theme customizing - How?

Dowlphin

(edited)

(original thread title updated to reflect current topic)

I see the same nice and practical theme on so many Tumblr blogs, mostly ask-blogs, but (as a Tumblr newbie) I couldn't figure out which theme it is or whether there's customizing involved.

Could someone please give me a brief guide on how to make my Tumblr blog look like those, with info text in the right column and various links and maybe even twitter embeds and such useful features?

Edited by Dowlphin

(edited)

Thanks. I found it in the search for more themes now. I checked there before, but it's easy to miss one.

Looks like I'm gonna have to do a lot of customization, since it's very basic. Setting the background color also sets all the buttons to the same color?! Uuuuh.

And Tumblr customizing is as ssslllloooooooowwww as Wordpress.

Editing HTML seems complicated, since most of the standard stuff is referrers and variables and stuff in the code. Reducing the space between the title image and the blog body or adding various buttons to the right column... I guess I'd need guides for that. that's all I need. The edits from that link all look so very different.

Edited by Dowlphin

You know, you can upload bg's from your pc.

Yeah, it seems like a very crude workaround for the inflexibility of the theme, but I did that now. Monocolor picture as background and 'background' color setting for the buttons.

(edited)

http://dowlphin.tumblr.com

As I said, the to-do list (when I get the motivation) is:

- reduce space between title picture and blog body

- if at all possible easily, slightly reduce space between blog body and info column

- add link buttons, Twitter subscribe button and such to info column

- figure out how to get Arial font back, because while it was auto-selected, it's not in the customizing list, and the HTML code only contains font variables. (I guess I'd have to replace the vars with font names)

P.S.: Feel free to subscribe to my various sites. Would make me happy. :-) (I'm trying to expand my creative activity, and audience makes all the difference.)

Edited by Dowlphin

(edited)

- add link buttons, Twitter subscribe button and such to info column

If you go to your settings and enable Ask and Submitting, there'll be 2 buttons. Go to Customise, and then scroll all the way down, you can add pages like about and faq pages.

<a href="url">Link text</a>

^^ Use this template in your description for Twitter/offsite links.

Edited by Steam Train
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Ah, the description field auto-converts HTML code - even scripts, nice. I now managed to add links there, but they're just text at this point and not fancy like an ask button for example. (I'd also prefer to make a message send button instead of an ask function - for normal messaging between Tumblr users.)

The add page feature seems to be what FluffyMixer used to create the navigate-to-beginning picture link under the title.

Edited by Dowlphin

Ah! Now I understand the page-adding thing. Alright, that solves two of three problems. Only the segment alignment left to figure out.

(edited)

Here you go, friendo

http://reduxrefreshtheme.tumblr.com/

It's exactly the same as redux. But customizable in every way.

It's what I use.

Wonderful! Thank you very much!

The only thing I still can't customize though is the usually gray post footer text. It only affects things like the tags text. ... and the sidebar button text and search field background is always white, too. And the special links at the bottom have background color. And the powered-by-Tumblr info at the bottom is always white, but I don't care about that, haha. And the Tweets and Following background is always light gray, with dark gray text.

WAAAH - still so much to customize. ... Including section spacing - but I dunno, maybe that's fixed by Tumblr in order to look properly on all types of devices. The amount of options with Redux Refresh is still preventing me from making a very personally themed look.

And I also broke several of my pages, one by adding HTML code to the URL field and now I had to use a different page name, because I coldn't overwrite the old invalid URL. The others I added with https, and now changing it to http is not accepted..

Edited by Dowlphin

(edited)

Wonderful! Thank you very much!

The only thing I still can't customize though is the usually gray post footer text. It only affects things like the tags text. ... and the sidebar button text and search field background is always white, too. And the special links at the bottom have background color. And the powered-by-Tumblr info at the bottom is always white, but I don't care about that, haha. And the Tweets and Following background is always light gray, with dark gray text.

WAAAH - still so much to customize. ... Including section spacing - but I dunno, maybe that's fixed by Tumblr in order to look properly on all types of devices. The amount of options with Redux Refresh is still preventing me from making a very personally themed look.

And I also broke several of my pages, one by adding HTML code to the URL field and now I had to use a different page name, because I coldn't overwrite the old invalid URL. The others I added with https, and now changing it to http is not accepted..

Mine is pretty damn customized. Even the tags.

I'd link you,

So you could see for yourself, but I'd get in trouble. ^_^'

Edited by Dattebayo

Mine is pretty damn customized. Even the tags.

I'd link you,

So you could see for yourself, but I'd get in trouble. ^_^'

One thing I did manually now is make page links open in a new window. The premade setting only works for regular web links.

Well, you can see my blog, so as you can see, I got most things done now. I managed to find a color scheme that, while not exactly what I had in mind, is still pretty nice. And the spaces between the layout segments are not really a problem for regular computers I guess. For mobile devices, I have activated the optimized theme anyway.

(edited)

My color scheme is varying shades of purple, with yellow letters.

I see. Like your signature picture? Interesting combination.

Edited by Dowlphin

OK, now I got nearly all the colors I want.

http://dowlphin.tumblr.com

It's strange: Redux Refresh looks as if someone started adding options and then gave up. Because for someone who can add those color options, it should come easily, and there are so many more colors that one might customize. I had to do it all by manually editing the HTML code now. I also tweaked some button alpha effects and such.