Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does anyone play koto or Japanese instruments?

Sakutama

Hi everyone,

Does anyone play the koto or a Japanese instrument? I would love to meet some fellow bronies who do! Or per chance, anyone at least interested in kimono or learning Japanese would be nice!

I hope I'll hear from someone ^^ thank you!

• Brohoof 1

Instrumentally Japanese?  Unfortunately no.  I'm certainly interested however.

But in terms of music, I've been really delving into the Japanese modes and scales.  Tons of interesting sounds can come from stuff like the In Sen or the Hirajoshi (both of which I think are pentatonic and easy to learn).  And I play guitar and piano, but something like the koto again sounds really fun!

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Oh wow!! It's so cool to meet fellow bronies who are at least interested in koto!!

I've been learning for almost 2 years, so I'm still a newbie. But it's my dream to do covers of MLP songs on my koto, and a few select other fandoms I have too. But I want them to be decent covers that will do the koto justice, so I've been trying to skill up and study music theory and composition when I have free time. Music theory and composition is REALLY hard to understand, but I'm sort-of getting it.

Unfortunately free time is always precious and few because I'm also studying Japanese and how to wear and sew kimono. I rarely have free time to even sit down and play a few video games like I used to. (T ^ T)

But koto is my focus, so I've been thinking lately about at least trying to put more effort into pony covers, hoping I might find help here. I wasn't expecting help or even koto interest though, so I posted happy enough to make new friends at least. ^^ I'm so surprised!!

Here's a little sample of me trying the first part of True True Friend on the koto. I was just fiddling on my own, it isn't great but I hope it gives you an idea what a cover MIGHT sound like.

http://youtu.be/Olt-K0hAzWw

(Video note: usually I use finger picks called tsume, but it was late when inspiration hit, so I used my fingers to play more quietly. :-P )

Edited by Sakutama
  • Brohoof 1

Oh wow!! It's so cool to meet fellow bronies who are at least interested in koto!!

I've been learning for almost 2 years, so I'm still a newbie. But it's my dream to do covers of MLP songs on my koto, and a few select other fan find I have too. But I want them to be decent covers that will do the koto justice, so I've been trying to skill up and study music theory and composition when I have free time. Music theory and composition is REALLY hard to understand, but I'm sort-of getting it.

Unfortubrylu free time is always precious and few because I'm also studying Japanese and how to wear and sew kimono. I rarely have free time to even sit down and play a few video games like I used to. (T ^ T)

But koto is my focus, so I've been thinking lately about at least trying to put more effort into pony covers, hoping I might find help here. I wasn't expecting help or even koto interest though, so I posted happy enough to make new friends at least. ^^ I'm so surprised!!

Here's a little sample of me trying the first part of True True Friend on the koto. I was just fiddling on my own, it isn't great but I hope it gives you an idea what a cover MIGHT sound like.

(Video note: usually I use finger picks called tsume, but it was late when inspiration hit, so I used my fingers to play more quietly. :-P )

That was really beautiful to listen too,i had no idea such a instrument existed  :wub:

• Brohoof 2

That was really beautiful to listen too,i had no idea such a instrument existed  :wub:

Thanks so much!! I hope I can finish it, and improve it too. Koto are beautiful instruments, they're a zither, but in many ways like a floor harp. They're also the national instrument of Japan. ^^"

• Brohoof 1

I've been learning for almost 2 years, so I'm still a newbie. But it's my dream to do covers of MLP songs on my koto, and a few select other fandoms I have too. But I want them to be decent covers that will do the koto justice, so I've been trying to skill up and study music theory and composition when I have free time. Music theory and composition is REALLY hard to understand, but I'm sort-of getting it.

Unfortunately free time is always precious and few because I'm also studying Japanese and how to wear and sew kimono. I rarely have free time to even sit down and play a few video games like I used to. (T ^ T)

That is amazing! I can make some sheets if you'd like!

• Brohoof 1

That is amazing! I can make some sheets if you'd like!

Wow! You think only that is amazing?? I'm blown away! I thought of it as more of a scribble then a complete piece as far as music goes. I'm feeling really motivated to finish it now! (^∇^)

It's been years since I read western sheet music, and when I did learn, it was in alto clef because I played viola. But I think I can brush up and learn again, I would love to see your sheets! I'm going to try to write my covers down in Japanese music sheets too so others can try them. I hope they will be good enough though. In all honestly, as a beginner I don't even feel qualified to do covers. But it's REALLY what I want to do, and it's what motivates as drives me. So laitly I've been thinking, why not just get what I have out there, and just add a warning that I'm just a newbie. I'm sure I could go back and improve them, maybe with a 2nd koto for a part 2 melody/harmony and a bass koto to make it sound complete. Basically a multi track project unless I find a synthetic music program with Japanese instruments that I can learn to use...or fellow brony koto players. Multi trackis most likely, since I'm pretty much on my own with pony song interest

@@Sakutama,

I write my sheets in default treble and bass clef. Can you read from that?

I will need some practice but I think I'll be able to catch up. A cheat sheet with what note is on each line would help speed me up if you don't mind. ^^" I honestly don't have a clue with the bass though so I'll probably need help with that most. The bass concertos in my old school orchestra had that line covered back in the day, and I never learned piano. Regretting that a little now. I'm sure I can google rythem bits I've forgotten too, I can remember most of the basics I think. I think I'll have a better idea when I try reading your sheet music though. How exiting! But sounds like it wouldn't hurt for me to go back and work on some basic western notation stuff again. Japanese music is SO different, plus it's all written in kanji! (Chinese characters)

I did get interested in the koto- like an asian harp, right? I remember looking up tutorials. I hope It's not too expensive.

• Brohoof 1

@@Sakutama,

Want me to tutor you in American style music reading so you could be ready?

I would love some tutoring! I'm just worried when I would have time, I'm maxed out as it is >_<" The only way I can see it happening is maybe by email or private chat, but I think proper tutoring is best done with a video chat right? Ugh I need an 8th day of the week just for hobbies and dreams!

I did get interested in the koto- like an asian harp, right? I remember looking up tutorials. I hope It's not too expensive.

Yep! Do you mean lessons or the instrument? Both can be expensive depending on a lot if factors, but I would say it's right up there with violin in terms of cost I think. I'm in Japan and my teacher is pretty reasonable by Japanese standards, but I'm playing ¥10,000 (about $100) a month for 1 lesson a week 4 weeks a month. Average koto price is about ¥100,000 (about $1000) I think, but I was able to find mind cheaper...I was very lucky though!

Maybe we will team up one of these days! If you need help Chords Canada is a great place to start!

• Brohoof 1

Well, I mostly meant the instrument itself, but I can see the misunderstanding. I probably will just see tutorials online instead of getting a tutor. I learn best by myself.

Yep! Do you mean lessons or the instrument? Both can be expensive depending on a lot if factors, but I would say it's right up there with violin in terms of cost I think. I'm in Japan and my teacher is pretty reasonable by Japanese standards, but I'm playing ¥10,000 (about $100) a month for 1 lesson a week 4 weeks a month. Average koto price is about ¥100,000 (about $1000) I think, but I was able to find mind cheaper...I was very lucky though!

Maybe we will team up one of these days! If you need help Chords Canada is a great place to start!

Well, I mostly meant the instrument itself, but I can see the misunderstanding. I probably will just see tutorials online instead of getting a tutor. I learn best by myself.

Chords Canada sells kotos and koto supplies, you could send an email to get a better idea of the cost on the western side of things. Good luck learning on your own! I could never do that, I wish I could. I like the reassurance of a teacher. If you do decide you need a teacher though, the owner of Chords Canada offers Skype lessons I believe. Let me know how it goes! The koto is a fantastic instrument.

• Brohoof 1