Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

AmaraEveinson

I was mostly curious as to how you guys told your parents you are a brony.  ;)

For me personally, my parents were pretty cool with it since they found out about bronies through the media and they already knew I was an anime lover. They've always been supportive in whatever I decided to do with my life (besides getting a tattoo, but I think you can guess why). 

• Brohoof 2

I'm just going to let them figure it out themselves. They're pretty homophobic and consider Bronyism as an act of homosexuality, so I'm just going to deal with this like dealing with my sexuality.

Why not? If they can understand, I don't see why you wouldn't tell them.

Probably because I have 'manly man' stereotypes seared into my brain. Like I said, I know my dad would be cool with it, but I'm stupid enough to think he would look at me differently from then on. 

It doesn't help I've heard him openly make fun of bronies.

I had been a brony for a year and was walking the dogs with my mom and asked her what she would think if I was in a "cult" kinda thing of sorts along with other questions and eventually told her. She was pretty cool about it even watched the first few episodes with me, but agreed not to tell my dad cause I new he wouldn't get it. I told him eventually, and he still makes fun of me about liking the show. But yeah, that's how I told my parents I was a brony.

• Brohoof 1

I'm just going to let them figure it out themselves. They're pretty homophobic and consider Bronyism as an act of homosexuality, so I'm just going to deal with this like dealing with my sexuality.

Really? Man that sucks.

You guys want to know how I told my parents? I showed my mom my entire collection of pony drawings. She said they're pretty good, but why ponies? I said "Well, It's because that's what I'm good at drawing because... I'm a brony".

And ofc she asks what that is, I showed her the show and everything and she's happy about it because she was a fan back when G1 was around. 

She said "As long as it's a good group of people, I'm okay with it. You're getting involved in something you like and I approve".

My dad... eh, he found out himself, but he doesn't get it. Sometimes he teases me but, that's his sense of humor. I'm okay with it.

• Brohoof 3

I told my mom the next day. "Mommmmmmm I like My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic now." and she said, "Okay, honey. That's nice." She bought me a playset with Twilight, Applejack, Celestia, Pinkie, and Spike for Christmas that year I'm not even sorry.

• Brohoof 2

I didn't, per se... MLP is unheard of by the general public where i live, so explaining what a brony is would be somewhat complicated. My mom once dropped in for a visit and caught me watching an episode, but shrugged the whole thing off anyway, so i guess it doesn't matter. 

• Brohoof 1

I didn't even have to tell. I was watching Applebuck Season or whatever. I started watching the show a month or so after season 3. My mom walked in on me watching the show. I panicked and paused the episode.

And then she gave me the most awkward look. Then she laughed, ran off and told my dad, sister and two little brothers.

And then that was basically it.

Ponies are embraced with love in my family now though. Sooooo...

Edited by Cupcakes14
  • Brohoof 1

"Now, this is the story all about how
My life got flipped-turned upside down
And I'd like to take a minute, just sit right there
I'll tell you how my parents introduced me to ponies.

In Western Washington, born and raised
On the playground is where I spent most of my days
Chillin' out, maxin', relaxin' all cool
And playing with ponies outside of the school

When a couple of guys who were up to no good
Started makin' trouble in my neighborhood
I got in one little fight and my mom got scared
And said, 'You're playing with some ponies in room so beware.'

I begged and pleaded with her the other day
But she packed my suitcase of ponies and sent me away"

oh wait what~

Um, yeah some time back in the 1980's my mom bought me ponies all the time every time and I ended up with a huge collection of the fat ugly 80's ponies that I played with all day every day and I watched all the cartoons. 

When I turned 8 years old I decided I was getting "too old" for ponies but I couldn't part with them so I put them up in an attic~

Got them back down when I was a teenager, and just kind of cherished them and kept picking up ponies whenever I was out and about places and happened upon them, and adding them to my old collection. 

I just kind of never got "out" of them~ probably going to end up collecting them my entire life x___x THE PONIES NEVER LEEEEEEEAAAVE

So for me the fandom all started in generation 1.

And now we're in generation 4, huzzah my loves of my life are bronies and I'm a brony because not all pegasisters have wings~

*does a awkward dance*

Um.... yeah... my parents... um, well, my mom still buys me ponies for my Birthday and Christmas. o3o

And my dad is deceased, but when he was alive he supported my custom pony hobby that has turned into income for meeeee. He'd give me materials, and beading books, and... and... stuff

• Brohoof 1

And my dad is deceased, but when he was alive he supported my custom pony hobby that has turned into income for meeeee. He'd give me materials, and beading books, and... and... stuff

I'm sorry to hear about your dad, but I'm glad your parents were so supportive of you! And I'm glad to meet a generation 1 fan of the show. I had some generation 3 or 2 dolls when I was growing up, so it's nice to see other older bronies!

• Brohoof 1

Hey there @AmaraEveinson, I've moved your thread to Sugarcube Corner as it relates to the brony fandom. Please ensure you post your threads in the correct section in the future.

They saw one day I was watching the show, but they didn't really care about it (because I watch many different shows).

Where I live the show isn't famous at all anyway.

I was in a department store with my dad and I got excited by the pony plushies, he asked me if I was serious and I said "eeyup". Nothing too extravagant/dramatic I'm afraid. I introduced the show to my little bro who loves it too so my dad has to watch it on the main tv now :lol: He even plays the card game with us occasionally XD 

Edited by Guest