Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why is Spike a mailbox?

Sugoi Kurloz

Well his magic fire is instantaneous, Super express mail.

Also considering that the mail service has a less than clean record with guys like this:

20131105113940!Blind_mailpony_S02E19.png

Not to mention the delivery service's own questionable service hiring a clumsy error prone buffoon :muffins: :

I think its more than wise of Celestia to err on the side of caution. After all, it is national security we're talking about. :mustache:

• Brohoof 1

• 11 months later...

Well, in Dragon Quest, the other Dragons seem to recognize what he is doing.  This seems to imply that sending things by Dragon fire is a racial ability.  That is, Celestia just took advantage of his natural abilities to use him as a fax machine.

He only sends letters to the princess, and only receives letters from her.

Well.. Spike was about to send a letter to Luna on the last episode. there wasn't any note to celestia to pass it onto luna.. so in theory spike can send it to anyone.. or at least alicorns

• Brohoof 1

Well, in Dragon Quest, the other Dragons seem to recognize what he is doing.  This seems to imply that sending things by Dragon fire is a racial ability.  That is, Celestia just took advantage of his natural abilities to use him as a fax machine.

Is this a thing? I actually don,t remember this but it sounds like a proper explanation. I never really understood why Spike can burp of letters. :P

It has to be the most random ability I've ever seen. Burn a letter to send it to Celestia, burp it out to bring a message from her.

But now that you mentioned it I have a theory. Spike is used as a mailbox for confidential information passed between Celestia and Twilight. Twilight's learnt material was important and should not be leaked into other ears but only to Celestia, Twilight and the mane six.

Edited by cider float

Its a cool ability. Honestly, its a fun and unique take on magical corrospondence, it makes spike useful to the group, and its good for gags.

I think its a nice fit for him and allows for Dragons to have a "magic" that seems unique, yeah?

• Brohoof 1