Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology The Glorious PC master race thread

Yourmomsponies

No, I'm saying I often apply the same "it didn't work for what I needed so try another one logic" until something clicks.

Fair enough.

Still, it bums me out since there's nothing wrong with the hardware itself. It's super high quality and runs cool and quiet. I'm only disappointed the software doesn't match up with it.

• Brohoof 2

Or a Boeing 747. That shit wouldn't fit, yo.

The only card I ever purchased using a reference cooler was my 670. While it can get loud, that's simply atrocious. All while running at a toasty 95C.

The only card I ever purchased using a reference cooler was my 670. While it can get loud, that's simply atrocious. All while running at a toasty 95C.

And that there's a pretty good reason why the R9 295 X2 was water and aircooled  ^_^

And that there's a pretty good reason why the R9 295 X2 was water and aircooled  ^_^

Even more terrifying, the single-GPU R9 390X is rumored to use a similar hybrid cooler out of the gate.

I am all for extreme PC MASTER RACE POWAA but sometimes I feel like things are getting out of control.

I suppose a pair will do for the 5K Eyefinity folks.

Received my PowerColor TurboDuo R9 290 today. Some of my thoughts:

The card is incredibly well built, considering what I paid for it. Beefy heatsinks, dual 90mm fans and copper heatpipes. A backplate was also included. Pretty hefty, sagged a little bit but nothing big. 6 and 8-pin power connectors. It means business.

Installed it, booted up. Got a display immediately on both screens in the BIOS as well as the Windows logo. On my GeForce, I wouldn't get video on my DisplayPort connected monitor until I got into Windows. Nice.

Installed latest Catalyst betas. Restarted. No video on secondary display. Drivers didn't see it, Windows didn't see it. Great.

Uninstalled drivers and tried the current WHQL set. Same problem. Irritated, I look it up and AMD has been working on resolving detection issues since 14.4.

Finally figured out a solution to my problem.

img-3306712-1-04G-P4-2974-KR.png

It'll be here by Friday.

At least my 7850 worked with both my monitors... I don't have much more to say about this.

So is AMD just have really bad cards or something? Because it seems from alot of what I hear that AMD just doesn't do well with cards. And if that is the case should I even bother with getting the card I want to get? Because it's AMD, and I don't want to end up buying a card that is just messed up. 

That said, it seems like a lot of the Nvidia cards are kinda pricy, and I don't really want to spend a whole ton of money honestly, so yeah.

I just find it weird that I usually hear a lot of bad things about AMD cards, and rarely any good things.

AMD's actual GPUs are great, I just haven't heard that great things about their drivers. Especially on Linux.

Oh, i see. So all of their cards have the same driver issues then? Or have some had those issues worked out?

So is AMD just have really bad cards or something? Because it seems from alot of what I hear that AMD just doesn't do well with cards. And if that is the case should I even bother with getting the card I want to get? Because it's AMD, and I don't want to end up buying a card that is just messed up. 

That said, it seems like a lot of the Nvidia cards are kinda pricy, and I don't really want to spend a whole ton of money honestly, so yeah.

I just find it weird that I usually hear a lot of bad things about AMD cards, and rarely any good things.

The hardware is solid (with the exception of the aforementioned 290/X reference coolers), but yes, their drivers in my experience have been hit or miss. If you don't have problems with them, I think Radeons are good value for the performance they offer.

However if you DO have a problem, their track record for fixing them in a timely manner is not so impressive.

That being said, they work for a lot of people, no doubt -- so if the card you're looking at is priced right, I'd still consider giving it a shot especially if you have a relatively simple setup.

Edited by Lunatic Envy
  • Brohoof 1

The hardware is solid (with the exception of the aforementioned 290/X reference coolers), but yes, their drivers in my experience have been hit or miss. If you don't have problems with them, I think Radeons are good value for the performance they offer.

However if you DO have a problem, their track record for fixing them in a timely manner is not so impressive.

That being said, they work for a lot of people, no doubt -- so if the card you're looking at is priced right, I'd still consider giving it a shot especially if you have a relatively simple setup.

Oh, ok. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't going to end up buying a card that's garenteed to have all kinds of issues. And end up being a waste. 

This is the card i'm getting btw mostlikely, I think i've already shown it here, but regardless. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161443

Oh, ok. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't going to end up buying a card that's garenteed to have all kinds of issues. And end up being a waste. 

This is the card i'm getting btw mostlikely, I think i've already shown it here, but regardless. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161443

That cooler looks pretty nice.

Worked on my cabling a bit, I can now say that I'm much less ashamed with how it looks.

tS6VPSw.jpg

DKWhlzr.jpg

Those velcro straps come in handy so much, I'm pretty glad to see other case manufacturers starting to adopt them  :adorkable:

• Brohoof 1

Cable management DONE!

img-3307948-1-9w2UHec.jpg

I accidentally pulled out the rubber grommet when removing the CPU power cable for re-routing. A bit of fussing around got it back in place.

Why do you have a SSD on the back?

Hiding the SSD behind the motherboard tray isn't anything new.

I've never seen that before, but it seems like a good idea. SSDs are small and don't generate much heat, so it's best to have it out of the way. It doesn't need to be near the fans, and since it's so thin, it can easily fit behind the backplate.

Edited by Regulus

I've never seen that before, but it seems like a good idea. SSDs are small and don't generate much heat, so it's best to have it out of the way.

Yeah, a few other modern cases have implemented hiding the SSD behind the motherboard tray. Probably the worst implementation of that was in the Fractal Design Define R4, which required installing it before the motherboard because the screw holes were directly behind the motherboard, and if you needed to replace the SSD you had to remove the entire motherboard. afaik people opted to use the mechanical drive brackets instead due to that. Thankfully they fixed that in the Define R5.

Yeah, a few other modern cases have implemented hiding the SSD behind the motherboard tray. Probably the worst implementation of that was in the Fractal Design Define R4, which required installing it before the motherboard because the screw holes were directly behind the motherboard, and if you needed to replace the SSD you had to remove the entire motherboard. afaik people opted to use the mechanical drive brackets instead due to that. Thankfully they fixed that in the Define R5.

Reminds me of the car they used on an episode of Mythbusters where you had to take one of the tires off the reach the battery.