technology The Glorious PC master race thread

Yourmomsponies

Would you guys recommend the Corsair Air 240 case for a new PC build? I want it because it's compact and looks great, but I'm not sure how it compares in functionality and quality to other cases in this price range.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139044

Edited by Mouse

^ don't listen to this guy ^

Would you guys recommend the Corsair Air 240 case for a new PC build? I want it because it's compact and looks great, but I'm not sure how it compares in functionality and quality to other cases in this price range.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139044

I don't know much in terms of MicroATX cases, but if you are looking for a good ATX mid-tower, then I would go for the Cooler Master HAF 912, it's only for around $60

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233&cm_re=cooler_master_haf_912-_-11-119-233-_-Product

• Brohoof 1

Apparently this is how much it costs to replace a virus-infested PC.

img-3425644-1-x6OWJEW.jpg

Also, notice how all the PCs in the backdrop are workstations.

Oh lord....

That's one of the most horrific research failures I've ever seen, where's it from?

• Brohoof 2

"You know, I don't know who or what you are Methos, and I know you don't want to hear this, but you did teach me something. You taught me that Life's about change, about learning to accept who you are, good or bad. And I thank you for that."

-Duncan McLeod.

It says the show name on the thing.

Computer virus, better throw it away and buy a workstation from a random third-party seller at BESTBUY.COM

Not even Geek Squad would do that.

They'd sell you another $300 HP with $600 worth of warranties, so comparatively, that's a pretty solid deal. You're saving nearly $4,000.

• Brohoof 1

The biggest problem I have with the "30FPS = more cinematic" claims is that there's much more to a movie than the frame rate. There's also things like lighting, camera angles, aspect ratio and audio assets, such as music or dialogue. Frame rate alone does not a movie make. Then there's the fact that video games are not movies.

And just because it's "more cinematic" doesn't mean it's superior. 16:9 is the most common format used for movies on DVD and now PC monitors too. Does the fact that it's used for movies make it "more cinematic" than 8:5, 4:3, 3:2, 5:3 or 5:4? I guess, but then 16:9 loses out on valuable vertical space with most resolutions, which makes it worse for everything else. I woulda went for a 1920x1200 monitor if monitor manufacturers didn't charge you out the ass for them. Why do I have to pay almost $100 more just for a better aspect ratio? And 21:9, while Linus seems pretty sold on it, imo just makes all the problems 16:9 has - sacrificing vertical space, which is useful for productivity, for horizontal space, which is useful for watching movies, and only really being useful for that without some hacky workarounds by the monitor manufacturer to emulate two 5:4 displays - worse, and I can't ever see myself using it, even with the 3440x1440 resolution. Just no.

I kinda miss the 8:5 aspect ratio. Just seems like the perfect balance between everything a computer needs to do. I'll try to get a 1920x1200 monitor as my next one, but since I can't find any below $200 I'll just have to wait and see...

• Brohoof 1

Oh lord....

That's one of the most horrific research failures I've ever seen, where's it from?

You kidding? All they gotta do is lower the price by twenty-eight centipesos and that's a friggin bargain!

Edited by Admiral Regulus
  • Brohoof 1

AluKfrD.png

Tumblr

You know what I just thought of?

If 30FPS is so cinematic, why not limit cutscenes to 30FPS and have gameplay unlimited?

There's actually some older that do that(gameplay is completely unlocked but in-engine cutscenes lock at 30)

http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/fully-loaded-bundle/

Interesting Bundle(and considering it's a $40 game, Dark is probably worth it for a laugh since it's included in a $5 bundle with some other games that actually look good)

Edited by Shoboni

"You know, I don't know who or what you are Methos, and I know you don't want to hear this, but you did teach me something. You taught me that Life's about change, about learning to accept who you are, good or bad. And I thank you for that."

-Duncan McLeod.

Can anyone who's an expert on PC ports tell me whether the PC port for Dragon Age Inquisition is just demanding or really bad port? It struggles to keep 30fps without an AA on a 760 according to the vids, so.........

I notice a lot of YouTube LPers use capture cards to record gameplay, but do these have any real benefit over using screen recording programs like Fraps?

Edited by Mouse

I notice a lot of YouTube LPers use capture cards to record gameplay, but do these have any real benefit over using screen recording programs like Fraps?

YES

no fps drop because its external

whether its worth the price is up to you tho

YES

no fps drop because its external

whether its worth the price is up to you tho

I see. In that case, it seems to me like a better investment to spend the money required for a decent capture device on a better graphics card/processor for higher performance anyway.

I wasn't even aware you could record gameplay off a PC using a capture card.

I think the typical reasoning is more so because without one it's almost impossible to record console gameplay to my knowledge.

Fraps is pretty demanding on frames sometimes though, I hear there are better options, but I have no real personal experience honestly.

But as far as capture cards go, to my knowledge they are traditionally for capturing console gameplay, correct me if I'm wrong though, i'm not really that experienced with the whole thing, i've just never personally seen it done.

Ru8aWjK.png

Thanks to Gone Airbourne for the awesome sig!

My Oc's,

Ponysona, Bella

For recording gameplay, I can never tell if a thing is gonna happen so I have Shadowplay set to record the last 15 minutes of gameplay on demand. Still gives me pretty high-quality, 60FPS footage that I can cut into what I want in Vegas and there, video.

Weak APU with a weak integrated GPU. Honestly, he'd be better off with this.

As for PCPartPicker, YES. Very reputable.

But that's $40 more expensive, doesn't include peripherals, and requires you to buy your own OS.

That's not a bad build, but to make it a bit more fair to compare the two, I'd take off the aftermarket heatsink, put in cheaper RAM, and get a cheaper case. That case is seriously almost 20% of the entire budget. 0_o

Edited by Admiral Regulus

AluKfrD.png

Tumblr

But that's $40 more expensive, doesn't include peripherals, and requires you to buy your own OS.

That's not a bad build, but to make it a bit more fair to compare the two, I'd take off the aftermarket heatsink, put in cheaper RAM, and get a cheaper case. That case is seriously almost 20% of the entire budget. 0_o

APUs benefit the most from 2133MHz RAM, and honestly, it's not that much more expensive than 1600MHz RAM, so that's staying the same. As for the case, yeah, I'll replace it, and the heatsink, yeah that too.

Here. Includes the OS too.

• Brohoof 2

APUs benefit the most from 2133MHz RAM, and honestly, it's not that much more expensive than 1600MHz RAM, so that's staying the same. As for the case, yeah, I'll replace it, and the heatsink, yeah that too.

Here. Includes the OS too.

That seems a lot more sensible for a low-budget build. :)

AluKfrD.png

Tumblr

So what do you think about this?

My build has a gold-rated supply. More efficient power than a bronze-rated one. Also, that supply's power output is over-rated by 100W (it's only capable of outputting 450W, not 550W) and uses Chinese-built caps rather than Japanese caps, which are nowhere near as durable. Also, the case does not have front-panel USB 3.0 ports. I'd rather my own build, not because it was designed by me, but because it has a better power supply, APU and includes the OS.