technology The Glorious PC master race thread

Yourmomsponies

Am i the only one who hopes they will eventually make a console that can compete with PC? Because part of me is afraid eventually everyone will be FORCED to buy a PC (because the console market would be dead) and the days of playing games on the sofa and splitscreen will be over.

1. When the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 launched, they were ahead of the PC for a few years. They had multi-core processors (wasn't a huge thing on the PC in 2005), they had high-end GPUs and glorious amounts of graphical and processing horsepower. Now that's not the case because Sony and Microsoft didn't want to take risks or sell the consoles at a loss.

2. You can still play PC games on the sofa, and there's actually an increasing amount of PC games with splitscreen support.

Wait.. aren't you Nightstalker Gaming?

I guess not. You linked one of his videos in a blog post so I assumed it was yours.

Nope, I am not.

I never saw whats so impressive about 60 frames per second. I really dont notice the difference, and even after playing some 60 frames per second games, when i go back to play on the 360, i dont have any problems with the 30 FPS.  Frankly i think the "60-FPS" thing is the new "16-Bits"

I never saw whats so impressive about 60 frames per second. I really dont notice the difference, and even after playing some 60 frames per second games, when i go back to play on the 360, i dont have any problems with the 30 FPS.  Frankly i think the "60-FPS" thing is the new "16-Bits"

60 frames is really nice. What I don't get is when something's at 50 frames and it isn't "good enough".

Biscuit.

To a lot of people including myself, 60 FPS is smoother than 30 FPS, in games anyway.  Although I can play my games as long as the FPS isn't below 30.  As for your statement, I guess some people just don't mind, to each their own I suppose

• Brohoof 2

After you've been gaming at 60 FPS for a while, you notice when you're only getting 30. I've been gaming on PC for a little over 2 years now and I can notice it. My brother doesn't see how, but when you've been doing it long enough, you can tell. 60 FPS is much more responsive and fluid. I mean, if 30 is good enough for you, then hey, you have your own tastes. Personally, in 2015, I can't stand it when something isn't running at 60. I'll take resolution hits, texture hits, all kinds of hits. But I've got to have my 60 FPS lol

I don't mind the 24 FPS they use in movies because motion blur is a wonderful thing in film. Of course, gaming and movies aren't the same animal and it's not a good move for some game devs (*cough cough* Ubisoft *cough*) to treat them like they are. 

• Brohoof 4

I refuse to let go until you're impressed.
I refuse to let go until I'm depressed.

Am i the only one who hopes they will eventually make a console that can compete with PC? Because part of me is afraid eventually everyone will be FORCED to buy a PC (because the console market would be dead) and the days of playing games on the sofa and splitscreen will be over.

Some say that the next generation of consoles or the one after will no longer be a machine with dedicated hardware. Instead, they say it will be a streaming service. So it could be that you pay a monthly or yearly fee to play PS5/PS6 or XB2(?)/XB3(?) games. Though problem is that you definitely must have internet connection to play these games. Though I would like the PC community to be larger... then again that may also result in more squeakers. Hmm...

Tried playing FPS games on console and it felt very slow and distracted from being immersed into the game. Except COD was fine. It's funny how people used to complain about how COD graphics of pre-Ghost era was terrible, but in hindsight focusing on consistent 60FPS over better graphic was a good decision made by the developers.

Edited by Tsaritsa Luna
  • Brohoof 1

image.png.b5800dbd4a0f66541f23ae5455e704d7.png
Pony Art Thread

Brony since ~25 July of 2011.

Some say that the next generation of consoles or the one after will no longer be a machine with dedicated hardware. Instead, they say it will be a streaming service. So it could be that you pay a monthly or yearly fee to play PS5/PS6 or XB2(?)/XB3(?) games. Though problem is that you definitely must have internet connection to play these games. Though I would like the PC community to be larger... then again that may also result in more squeakers. Hmm...

Streaming games? No, no, no, BUCK NO! BUCK THAT!!! I think a better idea is to eventually get rid of the disc system and replace the game media with some kind of usb-like unit which you plug into the top of the console (though it would be shaped different from normal usb so it can only plug into the console). no more worrying about scratched discs. I hope what i said made sense.

Streaming games? No, no, no, BUCK NO! BUCK THAT!!! I think a better idea is to eventually get rid of the disc system and replace the game media with some kind of usb-like unit which you plug into the top of the console (though it would be shaped different from normal usb so it can only plug into the console). no more worrying about scratched discs. I hope what i said made sense.

I wondered why USB or something like SD cards hasn't replaced disks as standard distribution of physical content. If it hasn't happened yet, there must be a reason; perhaps someone else here could explain.

The problem with consoles with dedicated graphics hardware is that it will inevitably become outdated (or in case of current-gen it's already outdated) and the companies will have to re-invest in creating new generations of consoles every half decade at least (though 7th gen lasted for almost an entire decade). The huge benefit in a  streaming service is that console players could potentially enjoy playing games at least 60FPS on max graphics for all games much like many PC players; the companies could update the hardware periodically in the back end instead of having the consumers pay for new console generations. Or maybe the companies could do various payment plans:

-Budget Plan: Play most games at medium graphics at 30FPS.

-Regular Plan: Play most games at high/max graphics between 30-60FPS.

-Cutting-Edge: Guaranteed to play all games at max graphics with 60FPS minimum.

• Brohoof 1

Pony Art Thread

I wondered why USB or something like SD cards hasn't replaced disks as standard distribution of physical content. If it hasn't happened yet, there must be a reason; perhaps someone else here could explain.

The problem with consoles with dedicated graphics hardware is that it will inevitably become outdated (or in case of current-gen it's already outdated) and the companies will have to re-invest in creating new generations of consoles every half decade at least (though 7th gen lasted for almost an entire decade). The huge benefit in a  streaming service is that console players could potentially enjoy playing games at least 60FPS on max graphics for all games much like many PC players; the companies could update the hardware periodically in the back end instead of having the consumers pay for new console generations. Or maybe the companies could do various payment plans:

Brilliant.

Cinematic (30 FPS): $19.99/mo.

Cinematic Max (45 FPS): $29.99/mo.

Cinematic Max Turbo (60 FPS): $34.99/mo. with 1-year annual commitment.

Bundle your streaming gaming with streaming TV and voice for one low monthly fee and get 3 months of Call of Duty Premium absolutely free.

Yes, but streaming service also means you are screwed if the game autosaves and your internet has a hiccup. Or if you have DSL or some other low end internet. you wont even be able to play at all.

So, essentially a cartridge. But RLY, physical copies FOR THE WIIIN

Having to PAY MONTHLY SUBSCRIPTION

to an EXTERNAL SERVICE

which houses ALL OF YOUR GAMES

Is this not hell I am seeing?

Biscuit.

Yes, but streaming service also means you are screwed if the game autosaves and your internet has a hiccup. Or if you have DSL or some other low end internet. you wont even be able to play at all.

I think the first problem wouldn't matter because the game would be autosaving in the company's server; streaming consoles would only be powerful enough to stream videos so none of the actual game processes would occur on the console.

As for the second, yes.

There are some benefits for a streaming service but undoubtedly they also have their own inherent problems. Ultimately it doesn't matter to me (as far as I know) since I plan to remain a PC gamer and will choose to have my own hardware.

Pony Art Thread

So, essentially a cartridge. But RLY, physical copies FOR THE WIIIN

Having to PAY MONTHLY SUBSCRIPTION

to an EXTERNAL SERVICE

which houses ALL OF YOUR GAMES

Is this not hell I am seeing?

I think my idea would be like a usb drive (except the plug in would be alittle differently shaped so it cant be pluged into the actual usb drives), except their would be a half-circular shaped thing on top with the game's name on it (so it doesnt get lost). consoles would be smaller because the lack of a disc drive.

After playing games at 60 fps on PC for a while, you get used to it, and then you go back to 30 frames, and it's a BIG difference. Seriously, to me 30 frames is choppy and looks like shit.

• Brohoof 2

Another alternative to discs would be adopting the PC model and going for digital distribution. Sure, you won't physically own it anymore, but optical drives can be dumped and your library would follow you from console-to-console, a la the PC.

• Brohoof 1

The streaming thing is kinda neat and all, but yeah. Internet connections aren't always reliable. And not everybody is going to be able to afford the internet speeds it takes to run streaming though I'm sure that'll change in the future. Regardless, you still need an internet connection. And sometimes the internet does go down. I'm also much more of a hardware person. I like owning the actual thing. 

And I've seen Borderlands 2 run at 720p30. I did for a long time because I played on the PSN with my brother and old roommate. And I bitched about it the entire time because I'd grown used to the 1080p60 that my PC could get in that game. 

Yeah. Even my old 7770 could run that game at 1080p60 + Medium settings.

• Brohoof 1

I refuse to let go until you're impressed.
I refuse to let go until I'm depressed.

Finished up Serious Sam HD.

It was going this weird thing where I'd get mild FPS drops(like down to 45 in really heavy action) but After says neither my CPU or GPU were hitting 100%(something like 80% max on the CPU and 60% max on the GPU)

"You know, I don't know who or what you are Methos, and I know you don't want to hear this, but you did teach me something. You taught me that Life's about change, about learning to accept who you are, good or bad. And I thank you for that."

-Duncan McLeod.

Let us all remember OnLive and what a success that was. (good idea, but ahead of it's time.)

Streaming games isn't a bad idea, but internet connections need to catch up first.

Edited by Mouse

^ don't listen to this guy ^

I always dreamed of getting 60 FPS in most games that I play. I know with an older computer, it's kind of difficult to do.

One day, I want to get a new PC for gaming that will last at least five years.

(coming soon)